Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Broadcasting Priesthood Meeting Online


Duncan

Recommended Posts

Posted

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865586991/LDS-general-priesthood-meeting-to-be-broadcast-live-for-the-first-time.html

 

That's interesting. Now I don't have to fight with my son to actually go!!, we usually go on sat. night and sunday morning to the Church but this will be one less scramble with him. We usually watch it online and now we'll just go on sunday morning

Posted

So I dont have to dress up and go to a meeting now? This is great news.

Posted

Awesome.  Now I can attend Ladies Night at Deseret Book and watch Priesthood session while perusing the shelves.

 

It will also allow anyone from OW to watch conference live without being invited to attend a priesthood session.   I wonder if that is part of the reason the church has made this change?  It does seem to remove the group's reasons for wanting to be there.

Posted

My hubby will be so excited!

I am not your hubby and I am so excited.

Posted

Attending priesthood session with my dad was always a tradition that I liked.  Maybe because during most of those years, it was one of my only chances to sit with him in a church meeting (as opposed to him being on the stand or on an assignment somewhere).

 

Now that I'm the dad and also not able to sit with my family during sacrament meeting, I still plan to keep the tradition and take my son to the stake center.

Posted

It will also allow anyone from OW to watch conference live without being invited to attend a priesthood session.   I wonder if that is part of the reason the church has made this change?  It does seem to remove the group's reasons for wanting to be there.

 

Along those lines, I found it interesting that DN described the priesthood session as "male-only," yet the church newsroom release did not feel a need to say anything about gender.  Reading tea leaves is fun, but ultimately unsatisfactory.  People are still arguing about whether the prayers by women at last conference were a result of the Let Women Pray petition.  I guess we see what we want to see and disregard the rest.

 

As to OrdainWomen, my understanding is that their goal is to be seen by church leaders as prospective priesthood holders.  I can't speak for them, but I highly doubt this announcement will affect their decision to try to attend live.  They want to be seen, not just to see. 

 

If anything, this announcement makes it more likely that the OW crowd will be seated at the conference center.  The newsroom release said the change was part of an effort to "make general conference proceedings more accessible to members ...."   Allowing the OW crowd to enter the conference center falls in line with the spirit of accomodating members.  The change also cuts away one of the arguments against their attentance - the idea that they are somehow taking a seat from a man.  That argument never had much sway with me because I've attended PH session and there are hundreds of empty seats.   

 

Finally, as I'm typing this, it dawns on me that the only real way to undercut the OW crowd is for church leaders to invite all people everywhere to attend the PH session regardless of gender.  I can see women in my ward saying "so what if those women went to the conference center; I watched the same thing at home with my husband and sons."  However, while such a move could undercut the OW crowd at this session, it would also move the goalpost in the direction OW wants - allowing women's participation in priesthood meetings.  It will be interesting to see how Kate Kelly, et al. respond. 

Posted
 
 
The women, who last week formally requested tickets to the Oct. 5 priesthood session, will not be admitted.
 
“It is the hope of the church that the priesthood session will strengthen the men and young men including fathers and sons, and give them the opportunity to gather and receive instruction related to priesthood duties and responsibilities,” church spokeswoman Ruth Todd said Tuesday in a letter to the group, "much the same way parallel meetings are held for sisters, such as the general Relief Society meeting.
 
"It’s for these reasons that tickets for the priesthood session are reserved for men and young men and we are unable to honor your request for tickets or admission."
 
Todd also invited the women to “view the live priesthood session broadcast, as well as the other general conference sessions, on lds.org, The Mormon Channel or BYUtv.”
 
This will be the first time the general priesthood session of LDS conference is broadcast live to a general television or Internet audience. In a pre-conference press release issued Tuesday, church officials indicated the live TV and Internet broadcast of the session is "part of a continued effort to make general conference proceedings more accessible to members around the globe."
Posted

Attending priesthood session with my dad was always a tradition that I liked. Maybe because during most of those years, it was one of my only chances to sit with him in a church meeting (as opposed to him being on the stand or on an assignment somewhere).

 

Now that I'm the dad and also not able to sit with my family during sacrament meeting, I still plan to keep the tradition and take my son to the stake center.

 

I sort of feel the same way. My oldest son turned 12 earlier this year. Since it would be his first time attending PH session, and since my father not attended PH session with any of his sons for the past 10+ years (we'd all moved away), I decided to surprise my dad by driving the 8 hours to his house so he could attend April's PH session with me and his new-deacon grandson. It was great.

 

If this announcement had happened earlier, I imagine I would have done the same, but it would have been tempting to save the trip and just "skype-watch" the session together. There is always a balance to striking the right "sacrifice" of members since the sacrifice for the same action varies widely from member to member. Getting dressed and walking 1/2 block to the stake center in Orem is not much of a sacrifice compared to driving 45 minutes in rural Australia.

 

Putting on my prognasticator hat, I imagine this change will dramatically affect things long term. Even if most all men still attend at chapels for this session, year by year the percentage of members watching from home will increase until most members say "what's the point." That's what I've seen with the other GC sessions. Initially, lots of members still came to the Sunday morning session at the chapel. But over the years now only very few do. The only thing that may save PH is the ice cream social.

Posted

If anything, this announcement makes it more likely that the OW crowd will be seated at the conference center.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 

 
“It is the hope of the church that the priesthood session will strengthen the men and young men including fathers and sons, and give them the opportunity to gather and receive instruction related to priesthood duties and responsibilities,” church spokeswoman Ruth Todd said Tuesday in a letter to the group, "much the same way parallel meetings are held for sisters, such as the general Relief Society meeting.
 
"It’s for these reasons that tickets for the priesthood session are reserved for men and young men and we are unable to honor your request for tickets or admission."
 
Todd also invited the women to “view the live priesthood session broadcast, as well as the other general conference sessions, on lds.org, The Mormon Channel or BYUtv.”
 
This will be the first time the general priesthood session of LDS conference is broadcast live to a general television or Internet audience. In a pre-conference press release issued Tuesday, church officials indicated the live TV and Internet broadcast of the session is "part of a continued effort to make general conference proceedings more accessible to members around the globe."

 

 

And that, folks, sets the record for fastest prediction proven false.  You can all go home now.  You will never top me. 

Posted

I will continue to take my deacon age son to spend some one on one time with him at the session.   This is a good tradition.   In the immortal words of Tevya, without our traditions, our lives would be as shaky as a...

Posted

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865586991/LDS-general-priesthood-meeting-to-be-broadcast-live-for-the-first-time.html

 

That's interesting. Now I don't have to fight with my son to actually go!!, we usually go on sat. night and sunday morning to the Church but this will be one less scramble with him. We usually watch it online and now we'll just go on sunday morning

I think it's great. Years ago I'd still go to the chapel with my family (or alone for some sessions!) to watch GC on the satellite even though some sessions were on TV, feeling that proximity with others facilitated unity and social bonding. But it is clear that people seem to relate just as satisfactorily to each other through the media as they do in person, or have other outlets with which to bond with their fellow saints and family, other than by attending conference sessions.

 

I think the priesthood holder needs to decide how he would best absorb the messages, including assessing whether it is a good opportunity to expose his family to the experieince of priesthood instruction (though the lattermay best be accomplished through his application and example!).

Posted

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865586991/LDS-general-priesthood-meeting-to-be-broadcast-live-for-the-first-time.html

 

That's interesting. Now I don't have to fight with my son to actually go!!, we usually go on sat. night and sunday morning to the Church but this will be one less scramble with him. We usually watch it online and now we'll just go on sunday morning

 

There goes my excuse for getting out of the house to hang out with the guys!

Posted (edited)

Along those lines, I found it interesting that DN described the priesthood session as "male-only," yet the church newsroom release did not feel a need to say anything about gender.  Reading tea leaves is fun, but ultimately unsatisfactory.  People are still arguing about whether the prayers by women at last conference were a result of the Let Women Pray petition.  I guess we see what we want to see and disregard the rest.

 

As to OrdainWomen, my understanding is that their goal is to be seen by church leaders as prospective priesthood holders.  I can't speak for them, but I highly doubt this announcement will affect their decision to try to attend live.  They want to be seen, not just to see. 

 

If anything, this announcement makes it more likely that the OW crowd will be seated at the conference center.  The newsroom release said the change was part of an effort to "make general conference proceedings more accessible to members ...."   Allowing the OW crowd to enter the conference center falls in line with the spirit of accomodating members.  The change also cuts away one of the arguments against their attentance - the idea that they are somehow taking a seat from a man.  That argument never had much sway with me because I've attended PH session and there are hundreds of empty seats.   

 

Finally, as I'm typing this, it dawns on me that the only real way to undercut the OW crowd is for church leaders to invite all people everywhere to attend the PH session regardless of gender.  I can see women in my ward saying "so what if those women went to the conference center; I watched the same thing at home with my husband and sons."  However, while such a move could undercut the OW crowd at this session, it would also move the goalpost in the direction OW wants - allowing women's participation in priesthood meetings.  It will be interesting to see how Kate Kelly, et al. respond. 

 

I know your prediction on this has already been shot down (so I won't rub that in  :D  ), but on another front, I know that OW and Kate Kelly has been really upset that their goal of attending the Priesthood session has been categorized as a 'protest'.

 

If these women still show up at the conference center asking to be let in after being told 'no', won't that prove that they are, in fact, protesting?

 

And if they stand around at the conference center, instead of being somewhere where they could actually watch the Priesthood session, will that signify that it was never about gaining access to the content of Priesthood session at all?

 

It will be interesting to see how Kate Kelly and OW handles this.

Edited by bluebell
Posted

Living about 32 miles away from our ward building and another ward is about 100 miles away because their building doesn't have a satellite dish it saves us money (in gas and time). I like it for frugal reasons. Having said that I will watch it online or on the satellite station, but I will miss the tradition of taking my sons to it.

Posted

I know your prediction on this has already been shot down (so I won't rub that in  :D  ), but on another front, I know that OW and Kate Kelly has been really upset that their goal of attending the Priesthood session has been categorized as a 'protest'.

 

If these women still show up at the conference center asking to be let in after being told 'no', won't that prove that they are, in fact, protesting?

 

And if they stand around at the conference center, instead of being somewhere where they could actually watch the Priesthood session, will that signify that it was never about gaining access to the content of Priesthood session at all?

 

It will be interesting to see how Kate Kelly and OW handles this.

So they claim that they are not protesting but that is all they have done is protest. And why does she use protesting in a pejortive manner?

Posted

And why does she use protesting in a pejortive manner?

Protesting is done by unkempt union workers and the filthy lower classes. These are bold social reformers, not vulgar ingrates.....obviously.

Posted (edited)

I know your prediction on this has already been shot down (so I won't rub that in  :D  ), but on another front, I know that OW and Kate Kelly has been really upset that their goal of attending the Priesthood session has been categorized as a 'protest'.

 

If these women still show up at the conference center asking to be let in after being told 'no', won't that prove that they are, in fact, protesting?

 

And if they stand around at the conference center, instead of being somewhere where they could actually watch the Priesthood session, will that signify that it was never about gaining access to the content of Priesthood session at all?

 

It will be interesting to see how Kate Kelly and OW handles this.

 

No need to rub it in.  I already did that.  You could give me one of those dead-horse beatings, though.

 

As to protests, below is the definition from dictionary.com.  Some members view OW's actions as a obejction, disapproval, or dissent from church teachings.  Others view their actions as a petition, request, or assent for greater opportunities to serve.  Neither view is baseless.  Whichever view you choose will determine whether you view OW's actions as a protest.  I don't think people's minds will change by whatever actions OW takes on Oct. 5.  I do think it was wise of the church to announce their response well ahead of the PH session to diffuse tensions.

 

Ironically, these sisters (fellow saints) can now watch the PH session at the conference center.  They will just have to do it on an iPad or other device and sit on the beautiful grounds outside.  It will be interesting to see what they do.  I have no idea. 

 

 

****

pro·test

/n. ˈproʊtɛst; v. prəˈtɛst, ˈproʊtɛst/  Show Spelled [n. proh-test; v. pruh-test, proh-test]  Show IPA

noun
1.
an expression or declaration of objection, disapproval, or dissent, often in opposition to something a person is powerless to prevent or avoid: a protest against increased taxation.
2.
Commerce .
a.
a formal notarial certificate attesting the fact that a check, note, or bill of exchange has been presented for acceptance or payment and that it has been refused.
b.
the action taken to fix the liability for a dishonored bill of exchange or note.
3.
Law.
a.
(upon one's payment of a tax or other state or city exaction) a formal statement disputing the legality of the demand.
b.
a written and attested declaration made by the master of a ship stating the circumstances under which some damage has happened to the ship or cargo, or other circumstances involving the liability of the officers, crew, etc.
4.
Sports. a formal objection or complaint made to an official.
verb (used without object)
5.
to give manifest expression to objection or disapproval; remonstrate.
6.
to make solemn or earnest declaration.
Edited by Buckeye
Posted

My computer konked out, so cannot link it. But if you can, or want, to listen to the Mormon Matters podcast, you'll see that the latest podcast is with a few of the OW members. I didn't listen to all of it but what I did hear, they talk about what they're planning to do come Oct. 5th. They didn't mention the latest news, (but could have) that people can listen to the PH session live. They mention that a little over 100 women and men are confirmed to go, with like 60 or so unconfirmed. They mention they will not hold a Press Conference but will speak to the news media people if they are asked. They will only accept tickets if they are authorized or wait to get standby if available.

Posted

Bluebell, one more thing.  In deciding how to describe OW, I find it insightful that the church referred to their action as a "request."  The DN, on the otherhand, referred to them as "activists" and cited sources who called them "agitat[ors]."  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865586996/LDS-Church-responds-to-priesthood-meeting-request-by-activists.html?pg=all

 

I think the church typically tries very hard to give people the benefit of the doubt when describing their actions. 

 

It makes sense that their request to attend the conference be called a request (that's what it was).  It also makes sense to refer to them as activists as that's what they are.  And some are agitators, but I don't believe they all are.

 

:)

Posted

I didn't listen to all of it but what I did hear, they talk about what they're planning to do come Oct. 5th. They didn't mention the latest news, (but could have) that people can listen to the PH session live.

The podcast was recorded before today's news, Tacenda.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...