You Are More Beautiful Than You Think You Are

BCSpace

• 4 weeks later...

You will be able to edit your posts when you get to 25 posts.  At the very, very bottom of the page there is a help link that lists how-tos for linking, embedding and editing I believe.  Play around with it after you have reached 25 posts and then come back with anymore questions for fine tuning....I'd stick around but my sleep meds are hitting and my fingers are complaining about moving and the letters are starting their nightly warmup routine of shaking their feet a bit to get the dust off, stretching those arms and legs after all these hours of holding them in one and and are listening to the overture for the signal for when it is time for them to get up and dance around the page.

Maybe not a particular better life through meds, but it can be a much more interesting one. ;)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By nuclearfuels
      Kenya legalized polygamy in 2014.  Any readers here serve mission there and have to tell investigators they'd need to stop the practice before being able to be baptized? I understand in Latin America a lot of married people split up but forgo the legal part of making the divorce official and that has to be done before they can be baptized.
      Germany is trying to indirectly legalize polygamy for one of their migrant culture's beliefs. 
      My wife and I support our ancestors who practiced polygamy, to say nothing of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob practicing polygamy.
      Curious as to your thoughts:
      Will other African countries and European countries following suit? Will / Should people in Congress - Ilhan, Tlaib, Romney, Bishop, etc. allow migrants here to practice what their faith encourages?  Declining populations (Japan, Europe) really have two options: welcome in higher fertility populations from other countries or legalize polygamy. 

Pushed by politicians, polygamy enjoys a heyday among Christians in ...
      Germany: Citizenship for Polygamous Migrants?  
    • By nuclearfuels
      So now that President Nelson has shown us how he roles and how the inspiration he receives roles, I can't help but ask/ponder aloud with my cyber-ward-family/friends (I don't know any of you well enough to consider our relationship to be that of frenemies, my apologies):
      - I figure we have maybe two years until the BSA program (love it or hate it) will be replaced
      - Several years ago, maybe 10+ years, there was talk about mini-Temples being created in levels other the main entry level of stake centers; wondering if this idea might come back?  Really I'm just looking for an excuse to goto Ireland and a Temple openhouse seems to be that opportunity; slainte!
      - Wondering if any of you have written to General Authorities and asked about topics like these; anyone received a response?  Since "marriage" has been legally "redefined," I'm curious to ask the GA's if redefining marriage in the vein of Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Moses, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and many others defined marriage.  Waiting for SCOTUS to "redefine marriage" again (before reinstituting), would be more palatable no doubt, but aren't we on kind of an accelerated time schedule/ last days etc.?  And when you attend the Temple, don't the Sisters outnumber the Brothers by a factor of 3 to 1, on average?
    • By MeeMee
      My question as I am still a new convert is how many times can you be sealed to someone or others. Say for example you were sealed to your current husband but he pass away. Years later down the line you meet someone and want to get sealed with the new husband instead. How does it work in the end. I never understand this and every time I ask someone nobody seems to really want to explain it. Please clarify only if you truly have the answer.
      Thank You

• By Five Solas
      Related to the “Baptisms for the Dead in the Second Temple?” thread – but now the question is whether LDS-style “temple marriages”/”eternal marriages” were performed in the Second Temple (prior to its destruction in 70 AD).
      In the previous thread we established vicarious ordinances for the dead were not authorized until after Christ’s resurrection.  Therefore it would have been a very short window of opportunity (from a historical perspective) for any such proxy work to have been performed in the ancient temple.  And no one on that thread made any argument in favor of such work being done there.  So I think we succeeded in getting that answer.
      So now I want to shift gears and focus on ordinances for the living, using marriage as an example.   Is there any evidence to suggest temple marriages/eternal marriages were performed in the Second Temple?
      If so, what is that evidence?  What do folks think?
      --Erik
      PS.  I remember a stake fireside, back in my LDS days, where the recently-released temple president (Seattle temple) came and spoke.  (This would have been early in the last decade.)  He was old and frail and strikingly tall and thin – but he had a strong voice and expressed himself clearly.  He had held the position for a long time and was much admired and respected, and I recall a sort of hushed reverence in the room.
      I came motivated by some mix of loneliness (I didn’t have anything else to do on a Sunday evening) and some curiosity (I had never met a temple president before).  So I didn’t have quite the same sentiment as others.  And as a result, I undoubtedly gave his words a more critical reception.
      He talked about being asked numerous questions in his capacity at the temple, participating members sometimes looking to him for guidance and clarity on difficult questions—and how he would always admonish questioners to seek out the answers themselves through a combination of prayer and meditation while there.  He didn't answer questions, he redirected questioners--that was an important part of his calling. 
      But what really caught my attention was his expressed belief the temple was carrying on “the same” practices and tradition that had been done at the time of Christ—and indeed all the way back “to Adam.”  How exactly that last bit was possible—no one asked, and I dismissed it as a bit of hyperbole (although he gave us no reason to think he considered it such).  The LDS temple and what transpired therein was connected to antiquity.  He wanted us all to understand he had played his part in a truly ancient play.
      Afterwards with a few folks who were left I made a small joke that the City of Bellevue (where the “Seattle” temple is actually located) probably wasn’t appreciating their growing herd of feral goats (referring to the ancient Israelite practice of “scapegoating” – where one goat would be sacrificed and the other banished to the wilderness, Leviticus 16:8).  But as was not infrequently the case, my humor fell flat.  (Yet another spiritual moment soiled, dang it!)
      So it was particularly interesting to me to read the replies on that other thread.  The old gentleman would have disapproved.
    • By HappyJackWagon
      I just listened to a fascinating podcast on This Week in Mormons with non-Mormon author Jon Birger talking about his book Date-onomics. The book is basically about demographic disparities of college educated men and women and how it is impacting the dating/marriage scene. Though the book is not LDS focused, there is a chapter about Mormons and Jews and the marriage crisis each are encountering. While I think calling it a marriage crisis is a bit of an overstatement, it is an interesting phenomena happening through out the USA and Mormons are experiencing the same issues.
      Basically the premise is that most educated men and women marry each other. There isn't generally a lot of crossover between the college educated and the not. Since there are more college educated females than men ( a trend that continues to grow) there is a lack of men for the women to marry which leads to women being in greater competition for the scarcer resource of college educated men. This leads to a less monogamous dating lifestyle and one that is more rife with casual hook-ups.
      There were a couple of observations he made that I thought were interesting but I'd like to throw them out for discussion to see if others find them valid.
      1- When adding the requirements of college-educated and Mormon, the demographic disparity is more stark because more men are leaving the church during late teens and early adulthood. While this is common amongst many religions it is proposed that this is more prevalent in LDS because young men are required to choose early on about serving a mission, and if they don't, they are tainted in the eyes of the culture. When they feel the alienation or "otherness" they are more apt to leave.
      2- Strategically it would be better for women to marry young while the pool of men is larger. It's compared to musical chairs. At the beginning if there are 15 men to every 20 women the woman has a 3/4 chance of finding a partner. Once five couples marry, the odds are now 10/15 or 2/3rds chance. Once another five couples marry there is now 5/10 or 1/2 chance. When 4 more couples marry, it leaves 6 women to 1 man or a 17% chance of finding a spouse. Obviously there are occurrences of people rejoining the dating pool so there is always hope. But does it seem reasonable as a strategy for Mormon, college-educated women to marry earlier, and not put off relationships for additional schooling or career when their chances continue to diminish?
      http://thisweekinmormons.com/2017/08/episode-374-date-onomics-jon-birger/