ERayR Posted May 29, 2013 Posted May 29, 2013 I believe the reference is to speech which is a bit more than oppose.BC is correct in that it seems to be in vogue to accuse those who oppose the latest politically correct fad as being haters. 1
Stargazer Posted May 29, 2013 Posted May 29, 2013 Terrorists are a very small, percentage of the total population and there are very few in the USA. According to the "Southern Poverty Law Center", we are growing our own and the law is watching them.And what is the SPLC? A left-wing self-appointed hate speech group in its own right. It likes to claim we are growing our own terrorists, and while some of the groups on its list are indeed bad organizations (such as the KKK), the surest way to get on their list is to express a devotion and a loyalty to the United States Constitution. Consider the Oath Keepers, for example. It is an American nonprofit organization that advocates that its members (current and former U.S. military and law enforcement) disobey any orders that they are given if they believe they violate the Constitution of the United States. In short, the SPLC considers a group a hate organization if it exists in order to encourage those who have sworn oaths to uphold the US Constitution, to actually obey that oath.If you are a Tea Party organization, then that is another way to get on their list. The SPLC is an organization which claims lofty goals, yet at the same time has as its raison d'etre the suppression of genuine free speech in the United States. The only speech which the SPLC supports, is the speech which they approve of.And if I were to start an organization that espoused my very own philosophy of government, I would also in very short order find myself on their list. Probably because my organization would have as part of its name the word "patriot". The SPLC, like the IRS, takes a very dim view of that word. 3
EllenMaksoud Posted May 29, 2013 Author Posted May 29, 2013 And what is the SPLC? A left-wing self-appointed hate speech group in its own right. It likes to claim we are growing our own terrorists, and while some of the groups on its list are indeed bad organizations (such as the KKK), the surest way to get on their list is to express a devotion and a loyalty to the United States Constitution. Consider the Oath Keepers, for example. It is an American nonprofit organization that advocates that its members (current and former U.S. military and law enforcement) disobey any orders that they are given if they believe they violate the Constitution of the United States.In short, the SPLC considers a group a hate organization if it exists in order to encourage those who have sworn oaths to uphold the US Constitution, to actually obey that oath.If you are a Tea Party organization, then that is another way to get on their list.The SPLC is an organization which claims lofty goals, yet at the same time has as its raison d'etre the suppression of genuine free speech in the United States. The only speech which the SPLC supports, is the speech which they approve of.And if I were to start an organization that espoused my very own philosophy of government, I would also in very short order find myself on their list. Probably because my organization would have as part of its name the word "patriot". The SPLC, like the IRS, takes a very dim view of that word.That is the first time I have heard that about them. It is not the first group I have heard of that lies, I will look into it.
Stargazer Posted May 29, 2013 Posted May 29, 2013 That is the first time I have heard that about them. It is not the first group I have heard of that lies, I will look into it.Understand that the SPLC is not lying. I accord them the dignity of expressing truthfully what they believe to be right, when they list groups like Oath Keepers as a hate group. They also list the Jewish Defense League, Tony Alamo Christian Ministries, World Net Daily (an Internet newspaper fer crying out loud), Tea Party Nation, and the FLDS.None of these groups could even remotely be counted as terrorist groups. Granted, many of the organizations on their list are not worthy of much respect at all, either because of their views, or how they express them, but I don't believe any of them could be counted as terrorist. The major reason why they are on the SPLC's list is because the SPLC doesn't like them. This is why I believe the SPLC is anathema to the First Amendment. Let a thousand flowers bloom! Better a sour voice raised so we can note it well, than a silenced voice.
LoudmouthMormon Posted May 29, 2013 Posted May 29, 2013 Speaking of dealing with haters, and Glenn Beck, and love, and all that: Glenn told a story last week on his radio show. He was out with his wife, and his producer and his wife, (and of course his security, because of all the death threats), trying to enjoy some couples time in some public setting. A lady recognized him and started following him shouting stuff like "You're nothing but a hater!" They tried to ignore her, but she kept following and shouting. The wives are used to this happening, and are trying to not let it ruin their time with their husbands. Glenn finally turns around and approaches the screaming woman, and in between screams, gently says "I love you." She screams some more about how horrible Glenn is and how hate-filled he is, and when there's another pause, he says "No really, I love you". She eventually got fed up, apparently with how big a liar hate-filled Glenn is, and stormed off. 3
thesometimesaint Posted May 29, 2013 Posted May 29, 2013 It's really very simple. Address the arguments and leave the person making the arguments out of it. IE: It is one thing to not agree with certain religious beliefs. It is quite another to disparage in any way the person whom holds those beliefs.Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than it is to speak(post to a website) and remove all doubt.
Ahab Posted May 29, 2013 Posted May 29, 2013 So, what should I do as a faithful Mormon when people speak to me about how much they hate Obama, or how untrue the BoM is, or how much they hate gays?1) Realize that you are hearing from someone who has some bad feelings they're having some trouble dealing with which gives you an opportunity to try to help them since they are speaking to you about it. For me it's much easier to hear people talk about things they like instead of what they don't like, but sometimes people just need to "vent" to get past something that bothers them.2) Imagine how loving our Savior would be if he heard someone complain about something. I think he'd be patient and express his love in some way, like with a look or maybe a hug, only becoming upset if they just going on and on and on and on with the complaining and murmuring and not being a happy camper. My wife has a look she gives me when I go on one of my tirades. Calms me right down, usually, ,especially after she gives me a hug.3) Remember you're supposed to be a light to the world, reflecting the light and love of our Savior. It's easy when it's easy but it still important when it's hard, too. You can even be playful about it all lonce you get to be really good friends with the people who open up and talk to you. Sometimes just being around someone who is nice and loving can make a really big difference.
Stargazer Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 Speaking of dealing with haters, and Glenn Beck, and love, and all that: Glenn told a story last week on his radio show. He was out with his wife, and his producer and his wife, (and of course his security, because of all the death threats), trying to enjoy some couples time in some public setting. A lady recognized him and started following him shouting stuff like "You're nothing but a hater!" They tried to ignore her, but she kept following and shouting. The wives are used to this happening, and are trying to not let it ruin their time with their husbands.Glenn finally turns around and approaches the screaming woman, and in between screams, gently says "I love you." She screams some more about how horrible Glenn is and how hate-filled he is, and when there's another pause, he says "No really, I love you". She eventually got fed up, apparently with how big a liar hate-filled Glenn is, and stormed off.I don't listen to Glenn Beck any longer (the Seattle station that used to carry him doesn't any more, so that's easy to do now, but I stopped well before they dropped him), but the impression I got from him is that he truly DOES love people, that he is not a hater. It is so instructive that someone could follow him around like that and accuse him of hating, and they are so bereft of self-introspection (or extrospection) that it never occurs to them that their actions expemplify hate so well that it is a textbook illustration of it.I just don't understand. Sigh. 2
Storm Rider Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 When strong emotions begin to rule one's actions, common logic and introspection have become impossible. The moment we begin to point at another and loudly accuse them of wrongs we forget that there are already three fingers pointing back at ourselves with the same accusation if not worse.
EllenMaksoud Posted May 30, 2013 Author Posted May 30, 2013 I don't listen to Glenn Beck any longer (the Seattle station that used to carry him doesn't any more, so that's easy to do now, but I stopped well before they dropped him), but the impression I got from him is that he truly DOES love people, that he is not a hater. It is so instructive that someone could follow him around like that and accuse him of hating, and they are so bereft of self-introspection (or extrospection) that it never occurs to them that their actions expemplify hate so well that it is a textbook illustration of it.I just don't understand. Sigh.I've tried and tried to get over it but any time a male gets loud I go into my shell and it does not matter what he says. I do not know if he was a hater but he was loud.
Stargazer Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 I've tried and tried to get over it but any time a male gets loud I go into my shell and it does not matter what he says. I do not know if he was a hater but he was loud.I've not noticed that, actually. It seems to me that he was more along the lines of "firm". But, as I say, I wasn't in the habit of listening to him much, so I might have missed something.
Calm Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 (edited) It's really very simple. Address the arguments and leave the person making the arguments out of it.So we shouldn't expect to hear references to Glen Beck, "Faux News", Rush Limbaugh or other individuals and organizations involved as well as Obama, SPLC, , right? Edited May 30, 2013 by calmoriah 3
Calm Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 (edited) I do not know if he was a hater but he was loud.I respond to him as "loud" as well in his radio and TV work and it is a problem for me too (and anyone else who gets overly---in my view---passionate in news reporting and commentary consistently does not have me as an audience for that reason alone). I saw him in person and he came across in a much different way though supporting the same things...I could handle him if he was like that all the time (even though I don't agree with some of what he says). I don't like my news delivered emotionally save on the rare occasions that demand it and even then once the shock is over, I would expect a calm, less emotional and absolutely not sensation seeking approach, there is enough of all of that in personal interactions. Edited May 30, 2013 by calmoriah
ERayR Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 I respond to him as "loud" as well in his radio and TV work and it is a problem for me too (and anyone else who gets overly---in my view---passionate in news reporting and commentary consistently does not have me as an audience for that reason alone). I saw him in person and he came across in a much different way though supporting the same things...I could handle him if he was like that all the time (even though I don't agree with some of what he says). I don't like my news delivered emotionally save on the rare occasions that demand it and even then once the shock is over, I would expect a calm, less emotional and absolutely not sensation seeking approach, there is enough of all of that in personal interactions.Yet that is exactly how we are conditioned . Politicians are loud, Sales advertisements are loud and televangelists are loud. One of the curses of our time is that everything around us is so loud that we can not find peace and quiet.
Calm Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 Yet that is exactly how we are conditioned . Politicians are loud, Sales advertisements are loud and televangelists are loud. One of the curses of our time is that everything around us is so loud that we can not find peace and quiet.Not only that we subject ourselves now to the tyranny of the cell phone. People believe they have the right to contact us at any time and there is no practical way to set a limit on it as a society (as a family we have rules on whether to spend effort on a call or whether ot allow it to go message, top priority is family, second names we recognize, third names we don't---we may or may not pick up, numbers with no names, especially odd numbers...go straight to message machine.) I would love to see cell phones having rules like unlimited after 8 PM until 8 AM for visiting, calls during the day had to be work or related to what you did during the day, with small breaks for social interaction. No business calling during lunch....iow still have the same boundaries, just apply it to the phone and emails as well...but they don't fall into such treatment easily. I remember walking across campus or down the street and people were talking to the person next to them, maybe singing to themselves if they had a radio, or reading if walking alone...but mostly there was a steady drone of talk punctuated by a laugh or shout here and there. and people would look around at others and smile or frown, but make some sort of contact. Now it seems as I walked toward someone I see the top of their head bent down over their phones or pads or pods, few make eyecontact or smile or even respond that there is another human being there. Not a good environment for someone prone to feel invisible in the first place and who has only managed to come out of it by forcing myself to be the first to make eye contact and smile...and I've usually had very good results up till now, except in Russia...they just stared; but Canada warmed up after just a few weeks of being around me.
Stone holm Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 Yet that is exactly how we are conditioned . Politicians are loud, Sales advertisements are loud and televangelists are loud. One of the curses of our time is that everything around us is so loud that we can not find peace and quiet."the sounds of silence...."
EllenMaksoud Posted May 30, 2013 Author Posted May 30, 2013 Yet that is exactly how we are conditioned . Politicians are loud, Sales advertisements are loud and televangelists are loud. One of the curses of our time is that everything around us is so loud that we can not find peace and quiet.And that is one of the comforts of the LDS church. No one yells, and they most certainly do not threaten anyone with hell fire. 2
thesometimesaint Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 So we shouldn't expect to hear references to Glen Beck, "Faux News", Rush Limbaugh or other individuals and organizations involved as well as Obama, SPLC, , right?Attribution to a source is not a Ad Hominem. I direct the Faux News comment to any and all that distort or outright lie to any news organization that for political gain does so. ABC needs to publicly retract and apologize for using doctored E-Mail quotes on the Benghazi incident.Believe me there is plenty about Obama's actual record as President to criticize. But him being a secret gay Kenyan Muslim divorcee isn't one of them.To date I have found nothing that would implicate the SPLC in Faux News type activities.
wenglund Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 A lot of good in this worlds seem to be too easily dismissed by sweeping accusations of "loudness" and "abuse" and "hate." As such, these sweeping accusations may, themselves, ironically become the very thing they are decrying--i.e. "loud" and "abusive" and "hateful."Thanks, -Wade Englund- 1
Calm Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 Attribution to a source is not a Ad Hominem. I direct the Faux News comment to any and all that distort or outright lie to any news organization that for political gain does so. ABC needs to publicly retract and apologize for using doctored E-Mail quotes on the Benghazi incident.Believe me there is plenty about Obama's actual record as President to criticize. But him being a secret gay Kenyan Muslim divorcee isn't one of them.To date I have found nothing that would implicate the SPLC in Faux News type activities.Why am I not the least bit surprised.... 3
Calm Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 A lot of good in this worlds seem to be too easily dismissed by sweeping accusations of "loudness" and "abuse" and "hate." As such, these sweeping accusations may, themselves, ironically become the very thing they are decrying--i.e. "loud" and "abusive" and "hateful."I am not dismissing Beck or others as bad simply because I find them loud. I just find them unbearable to listen to. They may have the most profound things to say, but such is not enough to counterbalance the physical sensations that overwhelm me when present with that style of delivery. I don't think I saw Ellen, the other one talking about "loud" dismissing him either, but I could be wrong. 2
ERayR Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 Attribution to a source is not a Ad Hominem. I direct the Faux News comment to any and all that distort or outright lie to any news organization that for political gain does so. ABC needs to publicly retract and apologize for using doctored E-Mail quotes on the Benghazi incident.Believe me there is plenty about Obama's actual record as President to criticize. But him being a secret gay Kenyan Muslim divorcee isn't one of them.To date I have found nothing that would implicate the SPLC in Faux News type activities.Put on your glasses.
thesometimesaint Posted May 30, 2013 Posted May 30, 2013 Put on your glasses. I do first thing in the morning. Just like Harry Potter.
Recommended Posts