Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Intolerance Of Hate Speech


Recommended Posts

Posted

I do first thing in the morning. Just like Harry Potter. ;)

Honestly TSS I think you are having some some trouble with selective vision as far as SPLC is concerned.

Posted

Why am I not the least bit surprised....

Rofl.

Any way on the subject of loud, you better not come to my house if you want it quite. In fact this constant ringing in my ears is a sign I should "turn it" down. I mean 2 100W amps even on 1 is really loud. And I like to turn them up to 2 and bless my wife for dealing with it. One day I will get a sound room.

And for the record I don't hate any one. Not even TTS. I disagree with him quite a bit and I am quite vocal....er.... well .... you know.... I tell it how I see it. The hate card gets thrown around so much mainly because it is some what an effective tool to shut down your opponent that it has become quite mainstream (in the literal sence) to do it.

And I think it funny that some people think the SPLC is fine and dandy while critisizing Fox news. Oh well I am moving on from that.

Posted (edited)

We all have selective vision, but I have seen nothing to date that would implicate it in Faux News type activities. Produce a reliable source and I'll listen.

He Saint, there is that selective vision you are talking about.

All joking aside. I disagree with the way you characterize Fox news. But the SPLC is not a news organiztion. So they would never be "would implicate it in Faux News type activities". It is not comparing apples to apples. They do have a massive agenda. And I would not look to them for any real source of truth.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram
Posted

We all have selective vision, but I have seen nothing to date that would implicate it in Faux News type activities. Produce a reliable source and I'll listen.

Ok, I am having a little trouble with this. What, pray tell, is a "Faux News type activity"? Keeping both left-wing and right-wing correspondents on the payroll, instead only left-wing? Being biased, perhaps? As if ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN are all perfect models of objectivity.

And how can SPLC, a left-wing advocacy group, be involved in "Faux News type activities", which involves news-collection and -dissemination activities.

On their list of "hate groups" is Oath Keepers. Please visit their website and tell me how on earth they could be construed as a hate group (full disclosure, I'm a member). SPLC does not like their political outlook, that much is certain, but to call that organization a "hate group" defies belief. Granted that the KKK, also on their list, and some others, are definitely hate groups. But World Net Daily? Bill Keller Ministries?

Are we shying too close to poltics that the thread is going to be closed?

Posted (edited)

He Saint, there is that selective vision you are talking about.

All joking aside. I disagree with the way you characterize Fox news. But the SPLC is not a news organiztion. So they would never be "would implicate it in Faux News type activities". It is not comparing apples to apples. They do have a massive agenda. And I would not look to them for any real source of truth.

I never said that the SPLC is a news organization.

I never said they didn't have an agenda. Every group has an agenda, or they wouldn't be a group.

So continue to look to Faux News as your real source of truth. The really sad part is that reality has a way of biting Faux News aficionados on the backside. IE; Karl Rove really believed Mitt Romney won the election in Ohio.

Edited by thesometimesaint
Posted

Karl Rove really believed Mitt Romney won the election in Ohio.

Well what did SPLC say about that?

Posted (edited)

I never said that the SPLC is a news organization.

I never said they didn't have an agenda. Every group has an agenda, or they wouldn't be a group.

So continue to look to Faux News as your real source of truth. The really sad part is that reality has a way of biting Faux News aficionados on the backside. IE; Karl Rove really believed Mitt Romney won the election in Ohio.

What IS it about you that you treat this one news organization as if it were the embodiment of bias, and apparently give a free pass to the rest of them?

And if you please, I don't listen to the news much if at all, much less one single source. Whatever Rove thought is immaterial.

Dewey swept the nation, by the way.

With a big broom.

Anyway, would you please, for my benefit since I don't follow Fox News, give us some egregious examples of biased reporting by them? If you're following them closely enough to know that they are giving out false news (that's what "faux" means, as you must know), then as a Fox aficionado yourself (otherwise how would you know?), you must be quite well-informed on the subject.

Edited by Stargazer
Posted

What IS it about you that you treat this one news organization as if it were the embodiment of bias, and apparently give a free pass to the rest of them?

And if you please, I don't listen to the news much if at all, much less one single source. Whatever Rove thought is immaterial.

Dewey swept the nation, by the way.

With a big broom.

Anyway, would you please, for my benefit since I don't follow Fox News, give us some egregious examples of biased reporting by them? If you're following them closely enough to know that they are giving out false news (that's what "faux" means, as you must know), then as a Fox aficionado yourself (otherwise how would you know?), you must be quite well-informed on the subject.

I distinctly remember saying:" I direct the Faux News comment to any and all that distort or outright lie to any news organization that for political gain does so. ABC needs to publicly retract and apologize for using doctored E-Mail quotes on the Benghazi incident".

I heartily recommend you listen to more than one news source. You do know whom Karl Rove is?

Actually two headlines were written with opposite results, because at print time to election results weren't known. It was a great PR stunt by Truman. Everyone except Dewey had a big laugh. But it really was more a reflection of the limits of technology in 1948 than anything else.

The list of Fox News distortions and outright lies is legendary. But just one example should start the ball rolling.

http://www.ceasespin...orm_public.html

This makes one too many political posts. You are out.

Posted

I distinctly remember saying:" I direct the Faux News comment to any and all that distort or outright lie to any news organization that for political gain does so. ABC needs to publicly retract and apologize for using doctored E-Mail quotes on the Benghazi incident".

I heartily recommend you listen to more than one news source. You do know whom Karl Rove is?

Actually two headlines were written with opposite results, because at print time to election results weren't known. It was a great PR stunt by Truman. Everyone except Dewey had a big laugh. But it really was more a reflection of the limits of technology in 1948 than anything else.

The list of Fox News distortions and outright lies is legendary. But just one example should start the ball rolling.

http://www.ceasespin...orm_public.html

It does not surprise me that your source belongs to the Common Cause coalition. Hardly paragons of virtue when it comes to disseminating false information.

Posted

Are we shying too close to poltics that the thread is going to be closed?

If not now, I suspect in a few posts....when it gets down to labeling who creates hate speech based on what organization is involved and not what is said...and is on a political basis...yes, I'd say it is getting very, very close to shutdown.
Posted (edited)

I'll try to get it back on topic...

I think we need to keep ourselves on a short lease, reappraising ourselves whenever we become a one note response to a particular individual or organization....one note meaning that it takes great effort to find something else to say and even worse, people become certain that a certain name will elicit a particular response no matter what. We should also consider when we feel compelled to respond to a comment made by another in defensiveness...could we be simply reacting without thinking rather than acting in a wise and rational way?

I believe this is the first step towards intolerance and even hate speech and is a clear enough sign...at least to others...that we are locked pretty tightly into a particular attitude that may be right at times, but due to the variation of human beings, is probably wrong on occasion. And I have seen people when they end up being wrong after believing they were right all those times become so defensive, they cross over from prejudice to bigotry because they just refuse to consider they were wrong about this organization or individual. Happens a lot with kids, wish it would disappear when we become adults but apparently not.

Edited by calmoriah
Posted

I distinctly remember saying:" I direct the Faux News comment to any and all that distort or outright lie to any news organization that for political gain does so. ABC needs to publicly retract and apologize for using doctored E-Mail quotes on the Benghazi incident".

I heartily recommend you listen to more than one news source. You do know whom Karl Rove is?

Actually two headlines were written with opposite results, because at print time to election results weren't known. It was a great PR stunt by Truman. Everyone except Dewey had a big laugh. But it really was more a reflection of the limits of technology in 1948 than anything else.

The list of Fox News distortions and outright lies is legendary. But just one example should start the ball rolling.

http://www.ceasespin...orm_public.html

This makes one too many political posts. You are out.

Well, since I instigated the response that got TSS tossed out of the thread, I am going to declare myself an accessory before the fact, and toss my own self out of the thread. I will not participate in this topic further. :D

Enjoy!

Posted
It is so instructive that someone could follow him around like that and accuse him of hating, and they are so bereft of self-introspection (or extrospection) that it never occurs to them that their actions expemplify hate so well that it is a textbook illustration of it.
This is inches away from a great .sig line. If I may:

"When you accuse someone of hate, try to not be so bereft of self-introspection or extrospection, that you unwittingly end up being a textbook illustration of hate by expemplifying it so well."

What do y'all think?

Posted

I never said that the SPLC is a news organization.

I never said they didn't have an agenda. Every group has an agenda, or they wouldn't be a group.

So continue to look to Faux News as your real source of truth. The really sad part is that reality has a way of biting Faux News aficionados on the backside. IE; Karl Rove really believed Mitt Romney won the election in Ohio.

Every group has an agenda? That is great. I am looking for a news outlet were the truth is the agenda. So far that is not the main stream media or Fox News. They all seem to mix up the stories. Fox News is Republican leaning. And the rest are Democrat leaning. THe issue is that most media outlets ignore stories that will hurt their point of view. That is not what news outlets are supposed to do. I will tell you right now that if a Repulican is in office right now with the scandals that are out ie, Bengahzi, the IRS, and the DOJ, they would be impeachedand resign. But that fact is that most of the media is flaming liberal and their views align with this administration so alot of it gets swept under the rug and ignored. I have a quetions. What was Obama doing for the 8 hours that the attack was going on? No on knows. Do you think that is an important question to have answered?

BTW Karl Rove is a freaking moron. He is just another big government Republican. He is not a conservative and I disagree with him on just about as much as I do Obama. I don't understand this mentality that alot of people have that because some one is "their guy" ie, a Democrat that he is above the law. If President Bush does something stupid (Which he did do many stupid things), even though I voted for him, I call him on it. Medicade Part D, anyone? If Obama does the same thing I will do the same as I did with Bush. Which Obama has done just as many dumb things if not more than Bush, Bengahzi anyone?. The issue is why you turn a blind eye to it.

I think there is quite a bit that you assume about me. I am guilty of assuming things about you. Please feel free to correct my assumptions.

Posted

I'll try to get it back on topic...

I think we need to keep ourselves on a short lease, reappraising ourselves whenever we become a one note response to a particular individual or organization....one note meaning that it takes great effort to find something else to say and even worse, people become certain that a certain name will elicit a particular response no matter what. We should also consider when we feel compelled to respond to a comment made by another in defensiveness...could we be simply reacting without thinking rather than acting in a wise and rational way?

I believe this is the first step towards intolerance and even hate speech and is a clear enough sign...at least to others...that we are locked pretty tightly into a particular attitude that may be right at times, but due to the variation of human beings, is probably wrong on occasion. And I have seen people when they end up being wrong after believing they were right all those times become so defensive, they cross over from prejudice to bigotry because they just refuse to consider they were wrong about this organization or individual. Happens a lot with kids, wish it would disappear when we become adults but apparently not.

This is an interesting observation.
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...