Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Intolerance Of Hate Speech


Recommended Posts

Posted

Rather condescending and elitist aren't you? What makes you think you are the possessor of such great wisdom?

Youth? ;)

Posted

No, I just keep up with politics. What the poster said aligns perfectly with the propaganda Glen Beck normally spews. Maybe I am a bit prejudice when I hear the same repugnant lines thrown out over and over again. That prejudice leads me to assume the person must be watching Glen Beck. But if I am being honest and not agreeing to agree what I would say is different. I would tell you that Glen Beck stands as a symbol of intolerance and bigotry. That means when I say listen to something other then Glen Beck, it actually means listen to something other then garbage. Like I said, I am a bit prejudice when I hear that, it probably is true that he has read every single line of every single bill the Senate and President are trying to get Congress to pass.

Anybody who would like to send me some of these bills being talked about I am all ears. Message me please, my curiosity has been peeked.

And your posts and prejudices are repugnant to me. Your posts are fast becoming a "symbol of intolerance and bigotry". It is fine to say anything one wants as long as it doesn't disagree with you.

Posted

Care meaning willing to listen and possibly change their opinion if it is proven wrong. That is not what true prejudice is. A person who is truly prejudiced against something will not listen with open ears.

Would you be "willing to listen and possibly change their your opinion if it is proven wrong. That is not what true prejudice is. A person who is truly prejudiced against something will not listen with open ears". As I have encounter your posts you seem to have an over rated sense of self importance. You seem to be very rigid and rude. Now prove me wrong.

Posted

Would you be "willing to listen and possibly change their your opinion if it is proven wrong. That is not what true prejudice is. A person who is truly prejudiced against something will not listen with open ears". As I have encounter your posts you seem to have an over rated sense of self importance. You seem to be very rigid and rude. Now prove me wrong.

Are we confusing prejudice with bigotry? Prejudice actually means to form an opinion beforehand, before having the facts. A bigot will retain those feelings and attitudes against all reason.

Just my two cents worth.

Glenn

Posted

Sigh...you just have to understand that most of the Christian world was locked in a struggle with Soviet style Marxist Communism since actually before WWII. As Al Gore remarked it was his parents, and my parents, organizing governmental principle. The Mormon Church was no exception as this was a threat to Christianity, and was the modern equivalent of a crusade. I have said on other threads, it is easier to start a crusade than it is to end one, plus we have a huge collection of Cold War comments by General Authorities to constantly recycle. However, Pres. Uchtdorf at the last Conference basically said we had to get over this, and eventually we will. In the meantime, hate speech is profitable to certain groups and revs up the uneducated.

Posted

Terrorists are a very small, percentage of the total population and there are very few in the USA. According to the "Southern Poverty Law Center", we are growing our own and the law is watching them.

Doesn't matter where they are grown. And it only takes one to alter all our comings and goings.

Posted

Doesn't matter where they are grown. And it only takes one to alter all our comings and goings.

And your point is?
Posted (edited)

No, I just keep up with politics. What the poster said aligns perfectly with the propaganda Glen Beck normally spews. Maybe I am a bit prejudice when I hear the same repugnant lines thrown out over and over again. That prejudice leads me to assume the person must be watching Glen Beck. But if I am being honest and not agreeing to agree what I would say is different. I would tell you that Glen Beck stands as a symbol of intolerance and bigotry. That means when I say listen to something other then Glen Beck, it actually means listen to something other then garbage. Like I said, I am a bit prejudice when I hear that, it probably is true that he has read every single line of every single bill the Senate and President are trying to get Congress to pass.

Anybody who would like to send me some of these bills being talked about I am all ears. Message me please, my curiosity has been peeked.

I don't listen to Glenn Beck--ever. But, I do read legislation line by line and look over what these things will do to existing laws. Some of it is pretty awful stuff, like removal of worker safeties in the energy sector, removal of environmental safeties, allowing persons with conflicts of interest to hold positions of oversight when it comes to energy policy, raising the price of gasoline to $6 a gallon or more, creating an additional government office (at the cost of millions) with the sole purpose of deciding which five States get additional aid to create jobs for Veterans, sacking families with a tax penalty of $92 a month, per member of a family per family, and increasing that penalty after a few years to $695 if the family does not have insurance that meets the new minimum government standard, and a whole lot more.

You have to examine each piece of legislation line by line and research the results and consequences. Much of it can be found on:

http://thomas.loc.gov/

Be prepared for an awful lot of reading. The Healthcare stuff containing the tax penalties is over 2,000 pages alone.

Seriously though, members of the Church should not hate anyone. The scriptures teach concerning those who hate their brother the following:

Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

(1 John 3:15, KJV)

If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

(1 John 4:20, KJV)

It is not worth the risk to hate anyone.

Edited by MormonMason
Posted

Are we confusing prejudice with bigotry? Prejudice actually means to form an opinion beforehand, before having the facts. A bigot will retain those feelings and attitudes against all reason.

Just my two cents worth.

Glenn

I am not confusing them. If you will look those were tyler80az's words. I was simply quoting and turning them back to him.

Posted

And your posts and prejudices are repugnant to me. Your posts are fast becoming a "symbol of intolerance and bigotry". It is fine to say anything one wants as long as it doesn't disagree with you.

He does have a point. When people start repeating certain talking points over and over....well it does get old especially when they are loosely associated with reality...

Posted

He does have a point. When people start repeating certain talking points over and over....well it does get old especially when they are loosely associated with reality...

Is that a hint for me? :crazy:

Posted

He does have a point. When people start repeating certain talking points over and over....well it does get old especially when they are loosely associated with reality...

You are describing 99.999% of the posters here. It is the nature of a board.

Posted

You are describing 99.999% of the posters here. It is the nature of a board.

Yes and no. Don't mind it if they are original thoughts not mindless repetition of talking heads.

Posted

I wish we could just disagree with our leaders, those with opposing views and even written words without stating we hate them, but society seems to be there at the moment. What we should do is state when we disagree with an action or opinion of others when we feel it can be helpful to express those views. We can state Congress, the White House, the Governor, the Courts, etc.. are leading us poorly --- but unfortunately today some people are labelled haters for not holding the popular views of the day.

Posted

It was a dog I am trying to soften my image so I do not seem "rude."

Try changing your posting style.

Posted
So, this has been quite the afternoon. So, what should I do as a faithful Mormon when people speak to me about how much they hate Obama, or how untrue the BoM is, or how much they hate gays?

I'm actually pretty peaceful and seek to be loving and sweet to everyone. So, how is it that some of the "faithful" feel free to engage in all sorts of repugnant talk?

Because it's not necessarily repugnant or unfaithful to them. But I think you would be hard pressed to find people, especially on this board or in the Church, who are opposed to the homosexual lifestyle choice or opposed to Mormonism or Opposed to Obama who actually hate anyone. The real problem is in the words "hate" or "racism" being applied to those who merely oppose. Don't you think that is the real intolerance and hate?

I am absolutely imperfect and having come out of a hate filled environment, when it comes from Mormons and people who say they are Christian, it just makes me ill and very disappointed.

I am actually more fearful of the out in the open haters than the terrorists.

I think you need to look more carefully at the issues beyond the accusations of hate and see what people are really saying. Are they really hateful or are they merely opposed? Being opposed to gay marriage or homosexuals in the BSA does not meet any normal qualification for hate. Neither does being opposed to the LDS, or any other, church. Being opposed to Obama because of his policies in no way implies hate or racism (the guy is half white anyway).

And recall that Book of Mormon doctrine itself is absolutely opposed to making "hate speech" (or thoughts) a crime:

17 Nevertheless, they durst not lie, if it were known, for fear of the law, for liars were punished; therefore they pretended to preach according to their belief; and now the law could have no power on any man for his belief.

18 And they durst not steal, for fear of the law, for such were punished; neither durst they rob, nor murder, for he that murdered was punished unto death.

Alma 1:17-18

Now if a man desired to serve God, it was his privilege; or rather, if he believed in God it was his privilege to serve him; but if he did not believe in him there was no law to punish him.

But if he murdered he was punished unto death; and if he robbed he was also punished; and if he stole he was also punished; and if he committed adultery he was also punished; yea, for all this wickedness they were punished.

For there was a law that men should be judged according to their crimes. Nevertheless, there was no law against a man’s belief; therefore, a man was punished only for the crimes which he had done; therefore all men were on equal grounds.

Alma 30:9-11

Posted

Because it's not necessarily repugnant or unfaithful to them. But I think you would be hard pressed to find people, especially on this board or in the Church, who are opposed to the homosexual lifestyle choice or opposed to Mormonism or Opposed to Obama who actually hate anyone. The real problem is in the words "hate" or "racism" being applied to those who merely oppose. Don't you think that is the real intolerance and hate?

I think you need to look more carefully at the issues beyond the accusations of hate and see what people are really saying. Are they really hateful or are they merely opposed? Being opposed to gay marriage or homosexuals in the BSA does not meet any normal qualification for hate. Neither does being opposed to the LDS, or any other, church. Being opposed to Obama because of his policies in no way implies hate or racism (the guy is half white anyway).

And recall that Book of Mormon doctrine itself is absolutely opposed to making "hate speech" (or thoughts) a crime:

I believe the reference is to speech which is a bit more than oppose.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...