Robert F. Smith Posted May 4, 2013 Posted May 4, 2013 (edited) Here is a funny and heartwarming story showing why the Book of Mormon musical is good for the LDS Church, and why God is not, ultimately mocked.http://www.deseretne...pg=all#cxrecs_s .It's not only South Park style humor, but it turns out that carefully crafted anti-Mormon media (like Ed Decker's "The Godmakers") often have an effect which is counterintuitive -- the opposite of what was intended by the authors. What happens is that interest and curiosity are generated, which lead people to take the time to listen and ponder the message in ways they might not otherwise have done.In Ed Decker's case, his film "The Godmakers," released decades ago, only attracted more converts to the LDS Church because it piqued interest in people who would otherwise have dismissed the entire question. The same applies to the forceful and caustic anti-Mormon work of the Tanners of Salt Lake City. A non-Mormon history professor at Georgia Tech concluded that the Tanners had in fact strengthened the LDS Church. Edited May 4, 2013 by Robert F. Smith 3
canard78 Posted May 4, 2013 Posted May 4, 2013 The positive press the church is getting in the UK (where the BOMM recently launched) is unprecedented. Even better than during romney's run. 2
pmccombs1 Posted May 5, 2013 Posted May 5, 2013 It has been said that "all publicity is good publicity."
Hamilton Porter Posted May 6, 2013 Posted May 6, 2013 (edited) What distinguishes the musical is that it didn't seem like it was malicious. Edited May 6, 2013 by Hamilton Porter
Tacenda Posted May 6, 2013 Posted May 6, 2013 What distinguishes the musical is that it didn't seem like it was malicious.I've never seen the play, but what I've been able to gather from reading reviews or listening to interviews etc. I agree, and if they didn't have the language I wonder how many New Yorkers would have skipped seeing it, alot of adults won't go see "G" rated alot of the time.
cinepro Posted May 6, 2013 Posted May 6, 2013 In order to gauge the overall effect of The Book of Mormon musical on the Church, we would have to compare the positive with the negative and see the overall result. The play has been running at the Eugene O'Neill Theater since March of 2011. That theater seats 1108. With 8 performances a week, that's about 900 performances. From what I hear, the theater has been pretty packed for the run so far, so let's say 90% capacity average. That means about 800,000 people could have seen the show in New York? Add in the national and worldwide tours, and it's not unlikely that 1,000,000 people have seen the show.To further generalize, I would have to say that in spite of the good-natured tone of the show, its overall message is one that is not favorable to the literal truth claims of the LDS Church. So while it's great the Sister Morang was able to find the Church after seeing the show, I would say that generally speaking she is the rare exception, and that most people who see the show are either having their already formed negative views of mormon beliefs solidified, or are learning about LDS doctrines and early leaders in such a way that they are less likely to want to learn more.In other words, there is such a thing as bad publicity, some things can hurt the Church's public image, and ultimately The Book of Mormon musical will have a light to moderate negative impact on peoples' willingness to hear and accept the gospel. 4
Robert F. Smith Posted May 7, 2013 Author Posted May 7, 2013 In order to gauge the overall effect of The Book of Mormon musical on the Church, we would have to compare the positive with the negative and see the overall result.The play has been running at the Eugene O'Neill Theater since March of 2011. That theater seats 1108. With 8 performances a week, that's about 900 performances. From what I hear, the theater has been pretty packed for the run so far, so let's say 90% capacity average. That means about 800,000 people could have seen the show in New York? Add in the national and worldwide tours, and it's not unlikely that 1,000,000 people have seen the show.To further generalize, I would have to say that in spite of the good-natured tone of the show, its overall message is one that is not favorable to the literal truth claims of the LDS Church. So while it's great the Sister Morang was able to find the Church after seeing the show, I would say that generally speaking she is the rare exception, and that most people who see the show are either having their already formed negative views of mormon beliefs solidified, or are learning about LDS doctrines and early leaders in such a way that they are less likely to want to learn more.In other words, there is such a thing as bad publicity, some things can hurt the Church's public image, and ultimately The Book of Mormon musical will have a light to moderate negative impact on peoples' willingness to hear and accept the gospel.Sounds like the cup is half empty, cynical cinepro.A lot of celebrity victims of bad publicity seem to think that, as long as their name is spelled right, not to worry.Of course, you are correct about the masses who have seen the show. However, Sister Morang was also non-plussed by the Mormon image. What she hadn't expected was that they weren't as ignorant as the show portrayed them, and they were uncommonly nice -- something she hadn't expected, and which she found very positive. Don't underestimate the power of the Mormon story or of its people. Nor of the power of the Holy Spirit. 3
TruthSeeker2013 Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 Here is a funny and heartwarming story showing why the Book of Mormon musical is good for the LDS Church, and why God is not, ultimately mocked.http://www.deseretne...pg=all#cxrecs_s .It's not only South Park style humor, but it turns out that carefully crafted anti-Mormon media (like Ed Decker's "The Godmakers") often have an effect which is counterintuitive -- the opposite of what was intended by the authors. What happens is that interest and curiosity are generated, which lead people to take the time to listen and ponder the message in ways they might not otherwise have done.In Ed Decker's case, his film "The Godmakers," released decades ago, only attracted more converts to the LDS Church because it piqued interest in people who would otherwise have dismissed the entire question. The same applies to the forceful and caustic anti-Mormon work of the Tanners of Salt Lake City. A non-Mormon history professor at Georgia Tech concluded that the Tanners had in fact strengthened the LDS Church.For what it's worth, the Church seemed to think it was a safe enough place to publish ads in the BOM musical playbill. A great move, in my opinion. The ads were quite humerous as well: "The book is always better."
cinepro Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 Sounds like the cup is half empty, cynical cinepro.A lot of celebrity victims of bad publicity seem to think that, as long as their name is spelled right, not to worry.Of course, you are correct about the masses who have seen the show. However, Sister Morang was also non-plussed by the Mormon image. What she hadn't expected was that they weren't as ignorant as the show portrayed them, and they were uncommonly nice -- something she hadn't expected, and which she found very positive. Don't underestimate the power of the Mormon story or of its people. Nor of the power of the Holy Spirit.I suspect it is more likely that someone is going to want to move to Uganda than join the Church after seeing the musical.
why me Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 The positive press the church is getting in the UK (where the BOMM recently launched) is unprecedented. Even better than during romney's run.Unfortunately in the UK there have been many people leaving the church, and some of these people have been bishops and stake presidents. The antimormon websites sprouting up in the UK is quite alarming. These sites are leading people to doubt and question their faith. The lds church's website at mormon.org is being compared to the church's website on lds.org etc and the exmembers are trying to show differences and discrepancies.However, I am sure that the musical is giving the church new life in the UK and that is a good thing.
why me Posted May 16, 2013 Posted May 16, 2013 Don't underestimate the power of the Mormon story or of its people. Nor of the power of the Holy Spirit.This is so true. I hope that this new sister doesn't forget her spiritual experiences when she investigated mormonism. It is always unfortunate when such people forget their spiritual experiences and leave the church. As for me, even though my own spiritual experiences happened years ago, I have never forgotten them especially the experience that I got after i prayed about the book of mormon.
Tacenda Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/57636950-223/musical-mormon-book-lake.html.csp "Satirical musical ‘The Book of Mormon’ set to play Utah theater" What do you think, will it bomb in Salt Lake? Would any of you go, who are true blue, through and through? I don't know if I'd dare go. I'm too paranoid to have someone I know spot me going to it. I do love plays, and this apparently is a good one.
Calm Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 (edited) I have no desire to see a play that parodies the hardships in certain parts of Africa and turns its people into distorted stereotypes just for entertainment and to make money. Edited March 12, 2014 by calmoriah 3
Kenngo1969 Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 Here are my thoughts. http://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/laughing-at-mormons/ I don't get paid per click, by the way, in case anybody's wondering!
thesometimesaint Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 The BOMM was a silly attempt at bad parody. That it had the unintended consequence of sparking interest in the LDS is beside the point.
bluebell Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 I wouldn't see it because of the language. And tacenda, if you want to go, just go. Stop worrying so much about what other people think. You are a grown woman and can make your own decisions without hiding behind what other people might think of it. You don't want your life to be a masquerade. 4
thesometimesaint Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/57636950-223/musical-mormon-book-lake.html.csp "Satirical musical ‘The Book of Mormon’ set to play Utah theater" What do you think, will it bomb in Salt Lake? Would any of you go, who are true blue, through and through? I don't know if I'd dare go. I'm too paranoid to have someone I know spot me going to it. I do love plays, and this apparently is a good one. It is you choice. But I personally don't enjoy the mocking of my religion or the religion of anyone else for that matter.
cinepro Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 I wouldn't see it because of the language. And tacenda, if you want to go, just go. Stop worrying so much about what other people think. You are a grown woman and can make your own decisions without hiding behind what other people might think of it. You don't want your life to be a masquerade. I would suggest listening to the entire soundtrack first. If you enjoy the experience, then you'll probably enjoy the show. If, like me, you aren't impressed and find the constant profanity to grow tiresome and the jokes and melodies to be a little underwhelming, then you can save yourself $100 and a few hours of your life. I think the whole soundtrack is even on YouTube.
Spammer Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 I saw the musical a few weeks ago, ironically, in my second mission area. I went with a former RM close family member who is also no longer LDS. I loved it! It's hysterically funny and kind of touching, but as folks have heard, it's also incredibly vulgar. What might have offended your grandma and got you into trouble twenty years ago if you played it for her at the time would send her screaming from the theater if she went to the musical with you today. So be warned. In a nutshell, I'd say the musical depicts mormons as sincere, heartfelt, super nice people who just want to help heal the world, but who believe zany things. If anyone saw the Southpark mormon episode, the musical communicates the same general idea . I agree with those who doubt whether anyone attending would walk away wanting to know more about the church.
cinepro Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 If anyone saw the Southpark mormon episode, the musical communicates the same general idea . I agree with those who doubt whether anyone attending would walk away wanting to know more about the church. It's not a hard theory to test. Just watch this clip about Scientology: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104274/what-scientologist-actually-believe If you watch this and think "Gee, I'd like to know more about Scientology" and honestly think you might be more open to Scientology than you were before watching the clip, then perhaps someone might be more open to Mormonism after seeing the Book of Mormon musical.
bluebell Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 Cinepro (sorry, my quote function isn't working right now)- I don't like the F word, and especially don't want to hear it used when speaking to Deity. But besides not liking that word, I don't want to like any songs or soundtrack that uses it. I don't want to 'like' songs that repeatedly swear, because liking a song usually includes listening to it over and over again, and singing it in your head. So I'm staying away from the soundtrack because I know I won't like parts of it, and I don't want to accidently like others. 1
canard78 Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 Unfortunately in the UK there have been many people leaving the church, and some of these people have been bishops and stake presidents. The antimormon websites sprouting up in the UK is quite alarming. These sites are leading people to doubt and question their faith. The lds church's website at mormon.org is being compared to the church's website on lds.org etc and the exmembers are trying to show differences and discrepancies.However, I am sure that the musical is giving the church new life in the UK and that is a good thing.Among UK members, nobody knows, nobody cares about the "apostates."It's very surreal walking round London with posters all over the Underground (metro system) that simply say "I 'heart' Mormon."
Tacenda Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 It is you choice. But I personally don't enjoy the mocking of my religion or the religion of anyone else for that matter.I don't want to go if it is mocking so much, but have heard that it actually made our church members/missionaries endearing. It actually made us look pretty okay. And bluebell, I'm such an idiot for worrying like I do, but I do. I'm not "out" to my fellow LDS friends and neighbors or extended family for that matter! I have lived this masquerade for so long I don't know any different. But the play may just have too many "f" bombs for my liking, whether it makes our members look super nice or not! Maybe I've heard wrong things about the play? I can't help but admit, I loved "Saturday's Warrior" and Jimmy and his family (okay, don't laugh!). And the play reminds me of the two missionaries. Maybe we need another "BoM" musical that is promoting the church, any takers? I know we have talented people that hang out here.
Seasider Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 For those who can admit to having seen Trey Parker's other works on the topic of Mormons (Orgazmo, South Park episode "All About Mormons") will recognize a common theme. The Mormon characters often get put through the ringer with their beliefs and practices mocked but by the end of the show the Mormons always end up being the heroes and winners of the show. I have not yet seen the Book of Mormon broadway show but have heard it follows a similar plotline. Parker and Stone in their interviews seem to have a respect for Mormons on a personal level which is part of their reocurring question they keep asking in their movies and shows about Mormons. How can a group of people with such bizarre, wacky beliefs and practices be so well rounded and likeable?
cinepro Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 For those who can admit to having seen Trey Parker's other works on the topic of Mormons (Orgazmo, South Park episode "All About Mormons") will recognize a common theme. The Mormon characters often get put through the ringer with their beliefs and practices mocked but by the end of the show the Mormons always end up being the heroes and winners of the show. I have not yet seen the Book of Mormon broadway show but have heard it follows a similar plotline. Parker and Stone in their interviews seem to have a respect for Mormons on a personal level which is part of their reocurring question they keep asking in their movies and shows about Mormons. How can a group of people with such bizarre, wacky beliefs and practices be so well rounded and likeable? I would also point out that they seem to have the same attitude towards Jews on South Park, but their jabs at Scientology, Islam and Catholicism are much more barbed.
Recommended Posts