cinepro Posted March 12, 2014 Posted March 12, 2014 So I'm staying away from the soundtrack because I know I won't like parts of it, and I don't want to accidently like others. You also have to be careful not to picture Olaf when Elder Cunningham sings...
mormonnewb Posted March 13, 2014 Posted March 13, 2014 I don't want to go if it is mocking so much, but have heard that it actually made our church members/missionaries endearing. It actually made us look pretty okay. And bluebell, I'm such an idiot for worrying like I do, but I do. I'm not "out" to my fellow LDS friends and neighbors or extended family for that matter! I have lived this masquerade for so long I don't know any different. But the play may just have too many "f" bombs for my liking, whether it makes our members look super nice or not! Maybe I've heard wrong things about the play? I can't help but admit, I loved "Saturday's Warrior" and Jimmy and his family (okay, don't laugh!). And the play reminds me of the two missionaries. Maybe we need another "BoM" musical that is promoting the church, any takers? I know we have talented people that hang out here. I've seen the play and own the soundtrack, yet I suspect that it is WAY too vulgar for most Mormons. I grew up listening to Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx and other "blue" comedians and still I found many scenes in BOMM to be superfluously vulgar. I can't imagine many people in my ward making it through the whole play.As for whether BOMM is good for the Church, I (for once) can see both sides of the argument. The missionaries come off as earnest, sincere and two-thirds mentally challenged. I can't imagine that many people will leave the play thinking, "Those darn Mormons are a threat to our way of life." Instead, they'll probably be very nice to the next Mormon they meet and say something really nice like, "You're a Mormon and you were able to put on your pants the right way and all by yourself? High five!"I'm just torn as to whether this is an improvement or decline in our public image 2
theplains Posted March 13, 2014 Posted March 13, 2014 The lds church's website at mormon.org is being compared to the church's website on lds.org etc and the exmembers are trying to show differences and discrepancies. The LDS Church needs to emphasize the differences. It's not a bad thing. This will allowpeople to determine for themselves whether it is the true church or not. I have not seenthis musical, but it would more closely adhere to the Book of Mormon if it were createdby faithful Mormons. There was a movie that came out recently (or will), called the Son ofGod. In one part, Thomas supposedly says "It is you Jesus" instead of "My Lord and myGod". So we have to be careful with movies too. The real meanings can be alteredsignificantly. Regards,Jim
Popular Post canard78 Posted March 13, 2014 Popular Post Posted March 13, 2014 I've seen the play and own the soundtrack, yet I suspect that it is WAY too vulgar for most Mormons. I grew up listening to Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx and other "blue" comedians and still I found many scenes in BOMM to be superfluously vulgar. I can't imagine many people in my ward making it through the whole play.As for whether BOMM is good for the Church, I (for once) can see both sides of the argument. The missionaries come off as earnest, sincere and two-thirds mentally challenged. I can't imagine that many people will leave the play thinking, "Those darn Mormons are a threat to our way of life." Instead, they'll probably be very nice to the next Mormon they meet and say something really nice like, "You're a Mormon and you were able to put on your pants the right way and all by yourself? High five!"I'm just torn as to whether this is an improvement or decline in our public image The Mormonism of Givens, Uchtdorf and Maxwell is sophisticated, expansive and intellectually stimulating. The Mormonism of South Park and BOMM appears to be for simpletons and yokels. People too dumb to see beyond their cultural bias. They are people you might say, "awwwww, bless" while patting them on the head. The publicity for the production (and getting the name "Mormon/Book of Mormon" better known) is probably better for the church than the effect of seeing the productions. 5
Thinking Posted March 13, 2014 Posted March 13, 2014 (edited) Unless you conducted a census, it would really be difficult to quantify the negative impact that the Book of Mormon Musical has had on the Church. Finding some positive examples is much easier because those people join the Church and tell their stories. Edited March 13, 2014 by Thinking 1
thesometimesaint Posted March 14, 2014 Posted March 14, 2014 (edited) I don't want to go if it is mocking so much, but have heard that it actually made our church members/missionaries endearing. It actually made us look pretty okay. And bluebell, I'm such an idiot for worrying like I do, but I do. I'm not "out" to my fellow LDS friends and neighbors or extended family for that matter! I have lived this masquerade for so long I don't know any different. But the play may just have too many "f" bombs for my liking, whether it makes our members look super nice or not! Maybe I've heard wrong things about the play? I can't help but admit, I loved "Saturday's Warrior" and Jimmy and his family (okay, don't laugh!). And the play reminds me of the two missionaries. Maybe we need another "BoM" musical that is promoting the church, any takers? I know we have talented people that hang out here. I'm not totally opposed to the "F" bomb when used discretely and seldom. But to me the over-reliance on the profane is indicatory of the lack of maturity and sophistication of a adolescent boy. Edited March 14, 2014 by thesometimesaint
AndyDnom Posted March 14, 2014 Posted March 14, 2014 i think short term it could spurn interest in the church, but long term the musical is bad publicity. I love the cinepro point - does anything think that south park has been good for scientology? Plus, you would need to look at south park as a whole, i think south park exposing the 'head in the hat' narrative was a net negative.
The Nehor Posted March 14, 2014 Posted March 14, 2014 I love the cinepro point - does anything think that south park has been good for scientology?To be fair has anything good ever happened for Scientology?
thesometimesaint Posted March 15, 2014 Posted March 15, 2014 To be fair has anything good ever happened for Scientology? Yes. We're not in it.
california boy Posted March 15, 2014 Posted March 15, 2014 If the church was smart about this, each ward in the area the musical is being played should put on it's own "Book of Mormon Musical" for free. They could all the church songs about becoming a missionary and "the Book of Moromon lay hidden, deep in a mountain side" type songs along with some basic beliefs in Mormonism. Make it an event. Use it as a missionary tool. Maybe have a Q&A with a pannel of recently returned missionaries. Have some fun with it.
cinepro Posted March 15, 2014 Posted March 15, 2014 And now there's the "SuperMormon" selfie....? https://www.facebook.com/TheBookOfMormonOnBroadway/posts/792777704083031
Recommended Posts