What To Expect At The Mtc?

My son is turning in his papers the end of this month. What is he to expect training wise at the MTC? He's had others tell him they don't give training there anymore? :huh: Why would he be going if they didn't? Obviously they can't "train" him to have a testimony and spiritual strength and habits, but there's got to be "some" kind of "do this, don't do that, do it this way" instruction right?

signed freaked out dad lol

Depends if he's native speaking or not. I can only speak for the English side that you go through the lessons, you practice teaching, they do lots of mock scenarios where you teach people, you attend firesides, exercise in the gym, answer calls in the call center, etc.

My son is turning in his papers the end of this month. What is he to expect training wise at the MTC? He's had others tell him they don't give training there anymore? :huh: Why would he be going if they didn't? Obviously they can't "train" him to have a testimony and spiritual strength and habits, but there's got to be "some" kind of "do this, don't do that, do it this way" instruction right?

signed freaked out dad lol

Door approaches, eye contact, how to take care of himself, how to address others, etc.

Get him the missionary handbook, and preach my gospel. He needs to know all of that (and cooking, cleaning, budgeting, laundry, etiquette). He should work on teaching what is in preach my gospel using the scriptures and his own experiences.

Make sure he knows how to decently iron a shirt, cook some basic balanced meals, knows basic nutrition and how to read a label and how to wash clothes without staining and how to get a stain out.....make sure he understands that one separates lights from dark not just for convenience, but because the lights will start looking dingy, it is not something that kids just pick up by osmosis and I've heard of missionaries who prefer to save money and time by combining all their clothes in one wash where possible. Have him collect some easy favourite recipes in a notebook for easy references...and if he gets sent to a place that uses metrics, get him a conversion chart for recipes as well and convert his favourite ones to metric so he doesn't have to worry about carrying long US measuring cups and spoons in case his apartment lacks them.

And I think knowing Preach My Gospel and Gospel Principles really well befor going out will help with confidence as well.

Edited by calmoriah

Most of the training is in a classroom using Preach My Gospel. The more he knows that book, the more smooth the transition will be. There are lots of role plays with actors as investigators of every type. There is a fireside once a week, usually with a General Authority. Meal time is always a nice break, as is the daily mail call (a high point of the day, for sure). If he likes to sing, I highly recommend joining the choir. The music is excellent, it provides a break from studies, and you always have a great seat for the firesides. He will be able to attend the temple once a week. There is excellent gospel instruction as well. I was in the MTC for 8 weeks, over Thanksgiving and Christmas. I loved it there.