Is The Veil Drawn Gradually?

altersteve

I ask this because I often hear stories about how babies who have only been alive for mere months recognize images of Christ. For example, I started talking at age 9 months, and my first words were "Hi Jesus" at a small statue of the Savior in the living room of the apartment I lived in at the time. I also hear stories of babies sometimes becoming very calm and smiling when you talk to them about God and heaven, even though they probably don't understand a word you're saying. I have also heard some express their belief that babies can see angels, which is why you sometimes see them staring and smiling at what appears to be nothing.

This has led me to believe that Heavenly Father draws the veil over our minds very gradually, and that babies can remember heaven and know Christ when they see Him. What do you think?

I ask this because I often hear stories about how babies who have only been alive for mere months recognize images of Christ. For example, I started talking at age 9 months, and my first words were "Hi Jesus" at a small statue of the Savior in the living room of the apartment I lived in at the time. I also hear stories of babies sometimes becoming very calm and smiling when you talk to them about God and heaven, even though they probably don't understand a word you're saying. I have also heard some express their belief that babies can see angels, which is why you sometimes see them staring and smiling at what appears to be nothing.

This has led me to believe that Heavenly Father draws the veil over our minds very gradually, and that babies can remember heaven and know Christ when they see Him. What do you think?

its possible, my earliest recollection was swearing and my Mom put Mustard powder on my tongue, I remember vividly that whole ordeal!-she only put it on for maybe a minute of that but 30 years later I remember!

I say we strap them down in an MRI and flash pictures of Christ and others in front of them and measure their brain activity.

PS: There is a minor assumption taking place that the representations of Christ are close enough to his appearance that the infants will recognize him. I think it more likely that they pick up information from their parents and others, including fondness of a picture, etc.

Edited by calmoriah

There has been certain experiences my mom has had with my siblings that has convinced her that the veil doesn't affect infants. I think that it is a pretty common belief among Mormons, but I wouldn't say that it is a universal one. I don't know of any times a general authority has taught it.

My grandmother believed the veil was thinner for infants due to behavior like staring past someone (long after they could distinguish objects) and focusing on something that didn't seem to be there.

A cute thought but it's not taught by those in authority and I've never seen anything concrete to back it up.

On the "doubt it" side can't angels make more soothing faces at infants and get them to stop screaming instead of just being stared at while the child is already calm?

Babies see pictures of Jesus and remember him? Do those pictures look like Jesus? Do those pictures look like the exalted, celestialized Jesus who dwells amidst the skies?

Some believe that babies can recognize Christ. My mom, for example, believes that I recognized Him when I saw the statue of Him in our living room.

This thread is only to discuss what you personally believe, not whether or not images of Christ depict Him accurately.

This thread is only to discuss what you personally believe, not whether or not images of Christ depict Him accurately.

The two sorta go together. If you personally believe that babies are recognizing pictures and statues of Jesus, doesn't that mean that the pictures/statues must resemble the Jesus they saw in heaven?

Since I think that that is very unlikely, I think it's must also be very unlikely that babies are recognizing those pictures and statues of Jesus.

Past prophets have taught that the Spirit World somehow exists here with us on earth and that if the veil were lifted we could see the spirits. I have seen this behavior with my own kids and grandkids and tend to agree that what you suggest is a possiblitiy(but not "official" doctrine).

I just wish the spirits would visit them more often to help keep them happy :-)

I believe little ones can see beyond the veil. My son used to stand up in his crib laughing and waving at the white wall across from him. When I would try to distract him he just kept laughing and jabbering at what I couldn't see. I always thought he was seeing spirits beyond the veil.

How much of mortality can the heavens view? We have some indications that we are observed by heaven.If so it is conceivable that the new born recognize our representations of Christ as they have observed them before.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

jo

Edited by jo1952

I prefer to suspend judgement. All of the stories I hear, including the ones posted in this thread, sound like they could prove the point, but could also have alternate explanations. It's an interesting and intriguing thought, but I haven't seen or heard anything that convinces me either way.

When my oldest was a very little guy he talked about his "other mother and father" that he had before. He called them "frosty". When we asked why he said "you know, all white like snow".

Of course the young are innocent and I have no trouble accepting when they tell me of ministering angels.

I ask this because I often hear stories about how babies who have only been alive for mere months recognize images of Christ. For example, I started talking at age 9 months, and my first words were "Hi Jesus" at a small statue of the Savior in the living room of the apartment I lived in at the time.

Let's see the video. No video?

I also hear stories of babies sometimes becoming very calm and smiling when you talk to them about God and heaven, even though they probably don't understand a word you're saying. I have also heard some express their belief that babies can see angels, which is why you sometimes see them staring and smiling at what appears to be nothing.

While babies often stare out into space at nothing, that doesn't mean they're looking angels. Yeesh. Also when you talk to any baby in a calm and soothing voice (like people do when they talk about God and Heaven) it's comforting and so babies are calm. Double yeesh.

I like this smilie: :tribal:

I believe little ones can see beyond the veil. My son used to stand up in his crib laughing and waving at the white wall across from him. When I would try to distract him he just kept laughing and jabbering at what I couldn't see. I always thought he was seeing spirits beyond the veil.

Yep. Or maybe he was just a baby who was spouting, giggling, and moving his arms wildly before learning to control his body and mind.

Past prophets have taught that the Spirit World somehow exists here with us on earth and that if the veil were lifted we could see the spirits. I have seen this behavior with my own kids and grandkids and tend to agree that what you suggest is a possiblitiy(but not "official" doctrine).

I just wish the spirits would visit them more often to help keep them happy :-)

I believe Brigham Young talked about the Spirit World being all around us. It is my belief that the Spirit World is literally overlapping our own, that when Brigham Young said that the spirits of the dead were not far from us, he meant it quite literally. All that separates us is a veil; they are right here! The Spirit World is the earth's spirit, in my opinion. How it is organized to work the way it does, I'm unsure. But that is my belief nonetheless.

At times in my life, I have been blessed to feel the veil thin and enjoy a greater measure of the Holy Spirit.

like how Moses saw God with his spiritual eyes. it's not just to say that he was spiritual and uplifted and sanctified, but literally seeing with the eyes of his spirit body, imo. I believe that, to those who have the gift of the Spirit to see beyond the veil, the op title is especially true. The veil is drawn gradually, over a lifetime of close companionship with the Holy Ghost and the ways of God. It is my belief that little children, particularly in their sweet innocence, peer beyond that veil.

Yep. Or maybe he was just a baby who was spouting, giggling, and moving his arms wildly before learning to control his body and mind.

Maybe if it was a one time thing but it wasn't. He was always laughing and talking to what appeared a blank wall.

I believe Brigham Young talked about the Spirit World being all around us. It is my belief that the Spirit World is literally overlapping our own, that when Brigham Young said that the spirits of the dead were not far from us, he meant it quite literally. All that separates us is a veil; they are right here! The Spirit World is the earth's spirit, in my opinion. How it is organized to work the way it does, I'm unsure. But that is my belief nonetheless.

At times in my life, I have been blessed to feel the veil thin and enjoy a greater measure of the Holy Spirit.

like how Moses saw God with his spiritual eyes. it's not just to say that he was spiritual and uplifted and sanctified, but literally seeing with the eyes of his spirit body, imo. I believe that, to those who have the gift of the Spirit to see beyond the veil, the op title is especially true. The veil is drawn gradually, over a lifetime of close companionship with the Holy Ghost and the ways of God. It is my belief that little children, particularly in their sweet innocence, peer beyond that veil.

Likewise, I believe that as a person nears their death, that the veil becomes thinner. I had already read about and heard many stories of terminally ill patients seeing loved ones who had already passed on. When my father was dying, he would occasionally open his eyes and look toward one particular area of the room and smile. When my mother was dying, she awoke at one point and said very simply "Momma!". She died about four hours later.

I believe absolutely that the spirit world is all around us; perhaps a better way of expressing it is that the physical world exists within the spiritual world. Inasmuch as we are surrounded by principalities of darkness, I believe there is a balance of light as well.

Regards,

jo

Some believe that babies can recognize Christ. My mom, for example, believes that I recognized Him when I saw the statue of Him in our living room.

Alright, then here's what *I* believe: you made some sound that was a bit like the word "Jesus". That sound, combined with your mom's fervent desire to believe that you could see beyond the veil, coupled with the amplification of years passed by, has formed into the tale she tells today.

H.