Seriously No Politics ×

BYU Athletics v. Honor Code

facie ad faciem

Don't know how many of you follow BYU sports or college basketball in general, but this is kind of a big deal and definitely a blow to BYU's men's basketball team's chances of going deep in the national tournament this year. (They're currently ranked 3rd in the nation.)

BYU's potential Final Four chances were dealt a significant blow when starting forward Brandon Davies was dismissed Tuesday from the team for the remainder of the season for a violation of the school's honor code.

It's disappointing but still good to see no star treatment for athletes when it comes to abiding the Honor Code. Hopefully, everything will work out for Davies.

Oh, and as per anything to do with BYU policy/LDS beliefs, the story is only 2 hrs old and the comment board has already blown up!

I have become enamored with BYU sports, particularly the men's volleyball team... and of course the basketball team. I've spent many evenings recently rooting for the teams, to the point that Bob-cat looks at me with big eyes... Ha! I even do the "shark" thingy all by myself, but joining in with the spectators.

As difficult as it may be for the team, I'm glad that BYU sticks by the rules for ALL students, with no special treatment just because someone is an athlete. Those that attend BYU, agree to an Honor Code, know the consequences if they are caught breaking it, so there is no one for Mr. Davies to blame but himself. Did he somehow expect special treatment? Or did he not stop to think about his position on the team and what it would mean to his team mates.

The last televised volleyball games between BYU and CSU San Diego were so exciting... and the basketball too... and I'm a Jimmer fan for sure.

GG

I never attended the school and never would, but the so-called "honor code" confuses me. I don't understand why the school forces missionary-level rules on its students, much more strict than the rules required to get into the temple, or even the CK.

We Ute fans snicker at the school when these kids get tripped up by their nonsensical rules, but at the same time I feel bad for them personally, in spite of how much I dislike the institution. It's tantamount to painting a scarlet letter on their foreheads... a big S for Sinner.

And far from special treatment, the athletes at that school down south probably receive a higher level of scrutiny (unlike the 80s, then they got away with most anything). When the average student messes up, even if their actions are found out they get to serve their punishment in relative anonymity, with no press release and the whole world talking and speculating about them.

The media feeding frenzy is a horror. That kid and his family deserve better. With Riley Nelson they concocted a cover story for his benching with an "accumulated injuries" gag. This kid and his family deserve better.

I was disgusted by the woman in her Primary Voice talking about this kid and the honor code on TV last night.

The correct answer is "No Comment." and "It's an internal team matter." or whatever.

This kid and his family deserve better.

Im rather disappointed. Not in BYU. But that BYU had to make this decision.

The Lord can make up for it. Hopefully the team can still do something.

Ssomehow I don't think the Lord really cres who wins a basketball game.

I never attended the school and never would, but the so-called "honor code" confuses me. I don't understand why the school forces missionary-level rules on its students, much more strict than the rules required to get into the temple, or even the CK.

... resisting the obvious snarky comment ... :P

Since students generally are not forced to attend BYU, how are they being forced to accept BYU rules?

I didn't attend BYU and wouldn't either, but surely the standards are what the students want, and part of why they choose to attend BYU? It's not like they don't have other options.

... resisting the obvious snarky comment ... :P

Since students generally are not forced to attend BYU, how are they being forced to accept BYU rules?

easy,

33% of students are from Utah, BYU for a Utah LDS person, is the cheapest education for one to get. The LDS Church promotes frugality and education. So in order to abide by both frugal and education one would choose BYU. Once they enter BYU they are told "The rules or else" the "or else" being, a scarlet letter on your academic record, having to find a school that will accept you with a scarlet letter and said school would have much higher tuition. The scarlet letter could be any mundane as not shaving or letting a females us your restroom.

really, aside from "private institution" and death, there is no real meaningful difference between china holding ones family hostage and saying "or else" and a institution holding someones education hostage by saying "or else".

easy,

33% of students are from Utah, BYU for a Utah LDS person, is the cheapest education for one to get. The LDS Church promotes frugality and education. So in order to abide by both frugal and education one would choose BYU. Once they enter BYU they are told "The rules or else" the "or else" being, a scarlet letter on your academic record, having to find a school that will accept you with a scarlet letter and said school would have much higher tuition. The scarlet letter could be any mundane as not shaving or letting a females us your restroom.

really, aside from "private institution" and death, there is no real meaningful difference between china holding ones family hostage and saying "or else" and a institution holding someones education hostage by saying "or else".

So "promoting frugality and education" is the same as forcing people to go to BYU?

And aren't the students told about the honor code before they enter? Your post implies that they enter the school and only then is the mean old honor code sprung on them.

I seem to remember that I chose the U of U in part because it was cheaper than BYU, at least at the time I chose it.

No one said these kids were forced to go to the Zoo. They are forced to follow the silly rules if they wish to attend the school, in the same way that I am forced to keep paying property taxes if I want to keep "my" house. No one is forcing me to own a home either, but since I chose to buy one, I am now being forced to keep paying every year for the privilege.

They are forced to follow the silly rules if they wish to attend the school, in the same way that I am forced to keep paying property taxes if I want to keep "my" house.

I would think that it's more like the way you might be required to keep the silly rules that you voluntarily agreed to follow when you chose to join a particular Home Owners

I can understand the importance of the honor code while on campus but what I find very interested (and a little perplexing) is that the honor code seems to extend beyond the BYU campus. I can understand that someone can't have a beer or coffee on campus but why try and enforce the same rule when they are off-campus? It seems a little invasive.

I can understand the importance of the honor code while on campus but what I find very interested (and a little perplexing) is that the honor code seems to extend beyond the BYU campus. I can understand that someone can't have a beer or coffee on campus but why try and enforce the same rule when they are off-campus? It seems a little invasive.

The standards aren't "we want our campus to meet certain standards" - it's "we want our students to meet certain standards."

Don't know how many of you follow BYU sports or college basketball in general, but this is kind of a big deal and definitely a blow to BYU's men's basketball team's chances of going deep in the national tournament this year. (They're currently ranked 3rd in the nation.)

BYU's potential Final Four chances were dealt a significant blow when starting forward Brandon Davies was dismissed Tuesday from the team for the remainder of the season for a violation of the school's honor code.

It's disappointing but still good to see no star treatment for athletes when it comes to abiding the Honor Code. Hopefully, everything will work out for Davies.

Oh, and as per anything to do with BYU policy/LDS beliefs, the story is only 2 hrs old and the comment board has already blown up!

I listen to ESPN Radio many mornings. It was the main talk for Colin Cowherd, Dan Patrick, and Jim Rome. They all think it means the end of a real chance at a long run in the tournament.

It speaks very well to these guys who don't really think about or get religion of any kind. I see them kind of shaking their heads though and at least knowing that y'all mean business about your faith. Kudos to BYU.

3DOP

No one said these kids were forced to go to the Zoo. They are forced to follow the silly rules if they wish to attend the school, in the same way that I am forced to keep paying property taxes if I want to keep "my" house. No one is forcing me to own a home either, but since I chose to buy one, I am now being forced to keep paying every year for the privilege.

For one thing, a student does not own BYU. A better analogy is: if you want to continue living in a house you do not own, you must continue to pay your rent and fulfill your other contractual obligations according to the rental agreement you signed.

For another, it is difficult to find a county which doesn

You're joking right? Nothing at all on a mission, not even close.

I'm at BYU-Idaho, which has an Honor Code much stricter than Provo does, and it's not bad at all. If someone's complaining about the Honor Code 'binding them' or 'holding them back' then they need to take a step back and evaluate themselves and their priorities.

Just saying.

And I'm pretty sure the CK has much higher rules to get into than BYU. ;-P

Im rather disappointed. Not in BYU. But that BYU had to make this decision.

The Lord can make up for it. Hopefully the team can still do something.

After being thumped by New Mexico tonight, there goes any hopes for a #1 seed. They probably make it past the 1st weekend in the tourney, anyone still think they can still go deep into the tourney?

After being thumped by New Mexico tonight, there goes any hopes for a #1 seed. They probably make it past the 1st weekend in the tourney, anyone still think they can still go deep into the tourney?

Yeah, pretty tough loss. I still think that if they can regroup and get it together they're still Sweet 16/Elite 8 material. But the tournament's all about seeding and match-ups. We'll see how far good guard play can take them. The whole blow-up surrounding Davies dismissal and a deflated morale probably hurt them more tonight than simply missing his good inside presence.

Archived