Seriously No Politics ×

Mission Presidency?

2 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Heard or read somewhere that Mission Presidents are ideally supposed to call counselors and a secretary.

Wondering what your collective experience has been, as my mission president had maybe one counselor for six months.

The president of the mission within which I live now has two counselors and a secretary.

my Mission president had two counsellours, one of which was Tad R. Callister, now the Sunday School General President. I could share a few stories about him, good ones! But they were kept fairly busy, meetings, doing those 2nd interviews. Here though all they seem to do is go to dinners for departing missionaries and sit on the stand for zone conferences, they don't really seem to be doing much., oh yeah they travel 2 hours to do TR interviews for the district, which seems lamo to me.  They haven't attended baptisms, gone around giving talks about missionary work. It was fuuny though the wife of the counsellour gave a talk at a meeting and she she was glad her husband had a calling, give him at least something to do!

33 minutes ago, Duncan said:

my Mission president had two counsellours, one of which was Tad R. Callister, now the Sunday School General President. I could share a few stories about him, good ones! But they were kept fairly busy, meetings, doing those 2nd interviews. Here though all they seem to do is go to dinners for departing missionaries and sit on the stand for zone conferences, they don't really seem to be doing much., oh yeah they travel 2 hours to do TR interviews for the district, which seems lamo to me.  They haven't attended baptisms, gone around giving talks about missionary work. It was fuuny though the wife of the counsellour gave a talk at a meeting and she she was glad her husband had a calling, give him at least something to do!

Perhaps you’re not aware of all they do.

4 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Heard or read somewhere that Mission Presidents are ideally supposed to call counselors and a secretary.

Wondering what your collective experience has been, as my mission president had maybe one counselor for six months.

Full Presidency

I've always seen Missions with full presidencies but as a missionary I never really noticed it. The counselors are called from within the mission boundaries and are utilized a lot in meeting with stake presidents and/or attending meetings throughout the mission. Missions are generally large geographic areas and a mission president can't be everywhere. In my experience the Mission Pres. is still THE leader of the full time missionaries but he uses his counselors and secretary to help manage the connections with local leaders.