Seriously No Politics ×

Elder Cook Wins Award for Worst Euphemism Ever

5 minutes ago, cinepro said:

The most mystifying aspect of all this is that the word "rape" has been used several times over the years in Conference.  So why would he feel the need to parse and soften the statement?

Unsure. He has used the term "sexual assault" in other venues, but I haven't been able to find him using it in a Conference address. That's maybe the standard we should be looking at for comparison though - not whether or not others have used certain terms in Conference talks.

I don't know what his motives were but it is being taken by some as including victims in the immorality net.  It wasn't too long ago when BYU victims of rape or sexual assault were complaining of being victimized a second time by their ecclesiastical leaders.  It seems that the ecclesiastical leaders were taking the unfortunate position that victims were somehow responsible in some way for the rapes or sexual assaults because they had put themselves in a position to be raped or assaulted and therefore needed to repent.  I hope this isn't what Elder Cook meant or was thinking.

29 minutes ago, cinepro said:

The most mystifying aspect of all this is that the word "rape" has been used several times over the years in Conference.  So why would he feel the need to parse and soften the statement?

Its a good question in light of other talks given.  This BYU article shows a sensitivity towards using the proper descriptive language.  Perhaps the correlation committee or whoever scrubs the talks for conference, needs to take some cues from BYU.  

In an effort to clarify purpose and better meet the needs of students on campus, Brigham Young University is updating the title of victim advocate to sexual assault survivor advocate.

“The term ‘victim’ is becoming far less accepted in the vernacular surrounding those who have been sexually assaulted,” said Lisa Leavitt, BYU’s sexual assault survivor advocate. “Survivor is the term more commonly used.”

http://news.byu.edu/news/byu-updates-advocate-title-sexual-assault-survivors

Funny how when something is poorly said from the pulpit we should excuse it as a simple mistake, or we are "being an offender for a word" or we should stop  criticizing the Lord's anointed, but when something similar is yelled from the gallery it is totally inappropriate.

If he wanted to kind of talk around it, "assault" and "harassment" would have been great words to use. Combined with the reference to #metoo, we all would have understood that he was referring to sexual assault and sexual harassment.

Edited by Gray
4 minutes ago, cinepro said:

Then he could have simply said "sexual assault and harassment."

Honestly, this might give us some insight into why the Church response to rape and sexual assault can be so insufficient.  If the leaders look at "rape" as simply the other side of the coin from "fornication", then a rapist who says he's sorry and repented could be treated the same as someone who fornicates and says they're sorry.  It's the same thing; they're both just different types of "immorality."

I do, however, like the suggestion that we rename the "Ministering" program to the "Non-consensual friends" program. 

Or "Baptisms-for-the-dead" to be "Non-consensual postmortem baptisms."

Oh, I think he was also trying to get a G rating.

4 minutes ago, cinepro said:

Honestly, this might give us some insight into why the Church response to rape and sexual assault can be so insufficient.  If the leaders look at "rape" as simply the other side of the coin from "fornication", then a rapist who says he's sorry and repented could be treated the same as someone who fornicates and says they're sorry.  It's the same thing; they're both just different types of "immorality."

I fear there may be something to this.

22 minutes ago, cinepro said:

The problem is that if it's the person doing the assault that is being "immoral", then that's what it is.  It's simply "immorality." 

Simply look at it from the perspective of a victim (or "non-consensual participant").  If Jane goes on a date with Tom, and he date-rapes her, then would it make sense for her to go to her Bishop and say "Tom and I engaged in non-consensual immorality"?  Is that really the same as saying "Tom raped me"? 

Well, the point of the article was that somehow this wording places an onus on the victim. How can that be if it is clear it is non-consensual? That makes the non-consenting party a victim. The article keyed on rape like you do here. We have to remember this is the Washington post - one of the most leftist outlets in the country. 

I think Cook was not trying to avoid some type of sin - he was trying to be more inclusive. This in no way means he has some problem with using the word rape. I don't think he is trying to soften that crime. It is just a specific word which doesn't include other forms of sexual misconduct or other forms of physical abuse which I think Cook was trying to denounce as well. But in specific cases like you mention, I think the young lady should by all means say she was raped if she was. If she was sexually harassed she should state that. If she was physically beaten she should state that. The point is that "non-consensual immorality" covers all those. I suppose next the Washington Post is going to poke at the Church for denouncing physical abuse? Surely, that will fall on deaf ears so they have to frame it so that rape victims somehow feel lessened. That clearly is not the intent of the comments and is an unfair characterization, possibly attributable to heightened scrutiny the LGBTQ community is trying to bring on the Church - as I think protests Friday before conference and the outburst of Ms. Legionaires during conference clearly demonstrated.

9 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

Funny how when something is poorly said from the pulpit we should excuse it as a simple mistake, or we are "being an offender for a word" or we should stop  criticizing the Lord's anointed, but when something similar is yelled from the gallery it is totally inappropriate.

Time, place and manner for all things.

7 minutes ago, Gray said:

I fear there may be something to this.

I think if there is, it is in his sub-conscious, if at all.  It seems to me that he, as a lawyer and member of the 12, may have been part of the committee to resolve the BYU rape victim problem and looked to what other universities are doing.  Other universities are substituting "non-consentual sex" for rape as it seems to be more palatable of a word choice to put into new rules and by-laws.  He probably just used that definition and then excised "sex" for conference.  

27 minutes ago, cinepro said:

I do, however, like the suggestion that we rename the "Ministering" program to the "Non-consensual friends" program. 

Or "Baptisms-for-the-dead" to be "Non-consensual postmortem baptisms."

I literally laughed out loud at the "non-consensual friends" comment. Well played, sir.