Seriously No Politics ×

'the Book Of Mormon' Musical Arrives In Salt Lake City

We will see how it plays there. I just can't seem to get any passion started about the thing either way.

As you might imagine, it'll play better in Salt Lake City than it would in, say, Provo.  I'm sure you can imagine the reasons for that.

I'd love to see it. I'm familiar with some of the music and it's delightful though I'm confident there's plenty of offensive material too. I've actually heard some very moving reactions people have had to the play. I think in the larger picture it is actually a touching story that impacts a lot of people emotionally.

ETA: Sadly I'm not in SLC

Edited by HappyJackWagon

You can see it for about £50 (about $750) in London. My wife and I went to see it a month or so ago and loved it. It is fantastic. It's hilarious, surprisingly tender and thought provoking.

That would be a heck of an exchange rate!

50 pounds would actually be about $78 though, not $750. :)

Twas a jest... ;)

You big jester, you!  (Who knew? ;))

I saw the play recently. My honest evaluation is that most members would probably enjoy the play EXCEPT for two numbers. One is a song that uses the F word as the main lyric. The other number is a bit lewd. The rest of the music and story is cleaver and even heartwarming. But those two numbers may be deal breakers for a lot of members

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the play recently. My honest evaluation is that most members would probably enjoy the play EXCEPT for two numbers. One is a song that uses the F word as the main lyric. The other number is a bit lewd. The rest of the music and story is cleaver and even heartwarming. But those two numbers may be deal breakers for a lot of members

Not me, I'm the type that would wolf down a plate of brownies if the instructor told me there was just a little bit of poop in them.

From what I know about the story it has more to do with cultural imperialism than it does Mormonism.  The authors (of South Park fame) seem to like to tease Mormons but also demonstrate a soft spot their their heart for our culture and our Nice Guy image.  Still raising a large Mormon family means I can't afford to do Broadway or Off Broadway shows.  This may be their downfall.  I knew a guy who had a successful hair cutting chain and decided to open in Utah.  He lost his lunch and discovered that Mormons are very frugal and cut hair at home.

I'd love to see it. I'm familiar with some of the music and it's delightful though I'm confident there's plenty of offensive material too. I've actually heard some very moving reactions people have had to the play. I think in the larger picture it is actually a touching story that impacts a lot of people emotionally.

ETA: Sadly I'm not in SLC

I actually think this play is a PR plus for the church.

I saw it in NYC, a couple of years ago, with an LDS relative. I asked my Mormon relative if they thought it was offensive. They said only if you took yourself too seriously. I thought it was similar to South Park humor, really funny in some places, but falls flat for me in others. The music was good. The overall message winds up along the lines of, Mormons might be whacky believers, but in the end, who cares. Good results come of the missionary interaction with a foreign culture. So, if you can make it through the F bombs, and the few really offensive parts, the end will be rewarding.

calmoriah - it's not intended to be racist.

it's making fun of us for our paternalism racism - like what in the world two ignorant young white americans were thinking when they thought they could cross an ocean, drop a book of Mormon in everyone's lap, and cure all ills.

hilarious songs though.