Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Can I become a Mormon?


Bassil

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a Christian group that accepts me as I am.

I believe in the Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

I believe that Jesus is the son of God and God in the Flesh.

I believe Jesus was crucified; he died and resurrected, for us.

I don't believe that the Old Testament is from God.

I don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah (a king.) Jesus is God, not a king.

Can you accept me among you? 🙂

Link to comment

If you are interested in seeing if you are interested in joining our faith community, I highly recommend you contact the missionaries who can teach you the basic requirements and help you accomplish them if you so choose.

If you wish to learn our basic doctrine without contacting the missionaries, I would recommend starting here:  https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/comeuntochrist?

If by acceptance as you are you mean attending church with us and being friends without officially joining through baptism, of course that can happen.  We welcome all to join us in worship.

Latter-day Saints are not monolithic though and while generally you will be very welcomed, some wards/congregations might treat you as if you were baptized and others might be wary of you while most are likely in between.. 
 

We have a longtime poster on the board who is an Evangelical who attended an LDS church for several years. There were good times and not so good times.  In many ways he felt accepted and other ways he did not. Over time the did nots grew and you might have the same sort of experience if you too joined without joining, or you may not.  He may share his story so you can get the personal touch…

Link to comment

We believe scripture is inspired and contains many revelations and truths, but also contains the errors of men since anything touched by humans won’t be perfect. 

We believe Jesus will be the head of the governing authorities of the world, spiritual and secular, during the Millennium as well as our God.  In this way and some other ways he is the king of kings. 
 

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-44-the-second-coming-of-jesus-christ?lang=eng

We believe the first three beliefs as written (added: if you substitute Godhead for Trinity since Trinity has the theological meaning of three persons in one God, “three coequal, coeternal, consubstantial”** while we believe in more of a social trinity, though might even be better to speak of three Gods being in unity in their relationship or preside over creation in a council***) but you may understand them differently than we do, hard to tell without more details.  If you believe in the traditional Trinity, we probably see the nature of God being quite different than you do in some ways (both God the Father and Christ are perfected, exalted humans and God the Father has a wife, whom we call Heavenly Mother, who is also perfect, exalted and human).

**https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

***https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_trinitarianism

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Bassil said:

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a Christian group that accepts me as I am.

I believe in the Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

I believe that Jesus is the son of God and God in the Flesh.

I believe Jesus was crucified; he died and resurrected, for us.

I don't believe that the Old Testament is from God.

I don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah (a king.) Jesus is God, not a king.

Can you accept me among you? 🙂

You can be accepted among us, but I'm not sure why you would want to be a member.  We do believe the OT is from God.  We do believe that Jesus is the Messiah (and also God), but we don't believe in the doctrine of the Trinity.

Link to comment
48 minutes ago, bluebell said:

You can be accepted among us, but I'm not sure why you would want to be a member.  We do believe the OT is from God.  We do believe that Jesus is the Messiah (and also God), but we don't believe in the doctrine of the Trinity.

We don't teach the Trinity, but you can believe in Trinitarian views. Any simple rudimentary Tri-Unity belief ("God is One and Three") or Social Trinity can fit.

It's kind of weird, as I assume he believes the New Testament, and there Jesus is "the Christ" (Messiah). Maybe it's meant as a contrast to what Jehovah's Witnesses believe, they accept Jesus was just the Messiah and not God. We do believe he's a God, not just a Messiah.

Edited by Pyreaux
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Bassil said:

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a Christian group that accepts me as I am.

I believe in the Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

I believe that Jesus is the son of God and God in the Flesh.

I believe Jesus was crucified; he died and resurrected, for us.

I don't believe that the Old Testament is from God.

I don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah (a king.) Jesus is God, not a king.

Can you accept me among you? 🙂

You don’t believe Jesus is a King, yet in the Book of Revelation he holds the title of King of Kings.

16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. (Revelation 19’) 

You also don’t believe Jesus is the Messiah, yet the Greek translation of the Hebrew word Messiah is Christ, both meaning “the Anointed One.”

Wondering how you came to embrace such anti-Biblical ideas?

Edited by teddyaware
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

We don't teach the Trinity, but you can believe in Trinitarian views. Any simple rudimentary Tri-Unity belief ("God is One and Three") or Social Trinity can fit.

It's kind of weird, as I assume he believes the New Testament, and there Jesus is "the Christ" (Messiah). Maybe it's meant as a contrast to what Jehovah's Witnesses believe, they accept Jesus was just the Messiah and not God. We do believe he's a God, not just a Messiah.

I think it’s more than us not teaching the Trinity though. We flatly deny many of the doctrines of the trinity. So while there’s some wiggle room, if somebody is looking for a religion that affirms Trinitarianism, ours isn’t it. 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Calm said:

If by acceptance as you are you mean attending church with us and being friends without officially joining through baptism, of course that can happen.  We welcome all to join us in worship.

Latter-day Saints are not monolithic though and while generally you will be very welcomed, some wards/congregations might treat you as if you were baptized and others might be wary of you while most are likely in between.. 

I'd like first to attend the Church activities. Then later I'll start learning the teachings.

Do you have Churches outside the USA?

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Calm said:

we probably see the nature of God being quite different than you do in some ways (both God the Father and Christ are perfected, exalted humans and God the Father has a wife, whom we call Heavenly Mother, who is also perfect, exalted and human).

I'm not a rigid person. I can adapt to new ideas.

Link to comment
38 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

You don’t believe Jesus is a King, yet in the Book of Revelation he holds the title of King of Kings.

Dreams, Inspiring are not my thing. Gospels are based on witnessing; I like it. I compare the four Gospels to spot inserted parts. I study the personality of Jesus to understand what he wanted to convey. 

Link to comment
46 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

Wondering how you came to embrace such anti-Biblical ideas?

I read the Old Testament and I didn't like it. It was written by men most of them were angry ones. For me to believe in OT means switching off my conscience and giving up my rational thinking.

Link to comment

Bassil,

To find a meeting house or where you could attend church services near you, you can do a search here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/comeuntochrist/requests/church/find-a-church/results?location=GEOLOCATE

I would recommend you read the Book of Mormon, another witness or testament of Jesus Christ. Maybe start in the Third Book of Nephi with the account of Christ visiting people on the American continent: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/comeuntochrist/believe/book-of-mormon/jesus-in-the-book-of-mormon

Welcome to the mormon dialogue board. I hope you feel accepted here as a start.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Have you reached out to latter-day saint missionaries in your area?

There are no Christian Churches of any kind here.

My chance is to go to Egypt, but I have to be 50 years old at least to be allowed into Egypt. And there is Latin America, and that is why I'm teaching myself Spanish.

Do you have a Mormon Church in Latin America?

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Bassil said:

I read the Old Testament and I didn't like it. It was written by men most of them were angry ones. For me to believe in OT means switching off my conscience and giving up my rational thinking.

Many dislike the genocides. Some scholars think the Old Testament was tampered with by Levite Scribes of Deuteronomy. Scholars call this group the "Deuteronomists", they had xenophobic idea about Israelite purity and against the people of the land. They caused the schism between Jews and Samaritans. Interesting Christ (Messiah) preached to Samaritans and Jews, though not non-Israelite Gentiles. Not many churches can survive the implications of that line of study as many require the scriptures to be pure so it can be used as authorities. Mormonism is the only one unfazed by it, beliefs include scripture tampering, thus needing modern revelation and living authorities.

34 minutes ago, Bassil said:

Do you have a Mormon Church in Latin America?

We're in most all Countries, but we're mostly in Latin America, Mexico, especially Brazil but they speak Portuguese.

Edited by Pyreaux
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Bassil said:

There are no Christian Churches of any kind here.

My chance is to go to Egypt, but I have to be 50 years old at least to be allowed into Egypt. And there is Latin America, and that is why I'm teaching myself Spanish.

Do you have a Mormon Church in Latin America?

There are congregations in almost every country in the world. Many in Latin America. 

Link to comment
17 minutes ago, bluebell said:

There are congregations in almost every country in the world. Many in Latin America.

That's good. There's none in my country, Yemen. I doubt if there are any in Egypt.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Bassil said:

That's good. There's none in my country, Yemen. I doubt if there are any in Egypt.

I'll bet there's something, maybe members of our church meeting secretly. Here's a map, hope it helps. Also, here's info on Egypt, just no proselytizing, but possibly they have members there. ETA: in the wiki article it has members in Cairo.  https://www.mormonwiki.com/Egypt#:~:text=The Nile River Branch membership,well as Egyptian Christian converts.”&text=The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints%2C however,does not proselytize in Egypt.world map

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...