Culture vs Cult, tradition vs tragedy, Revelation vs ritual.

1 hour ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

So the LDS temple in Rome has multiple statues on the inside? Is that a usual feature? They will certainly fit with locals' expectations about finding statues in a cathedral, basilica, or church.

I've been inside a number of LDS temples, and statuary isn't much of a feature, as best I can remember. Except for the 12 oxen holding up the baptismal font. 

The Rome temple has this inside, apparently, and I'm not sure where it is found in the building:

news-rome-italy-temple-visitors-center-c

2 hours ago, Jim Dandy said:

We have electricity for lights now and we can make our monetary contributions online.  I'm old fashioned in a lot of ways but I prefer a lot of the modern conveniences we have these days.

You do realize the candles suggested were not for lighting surely?

7 hours ago, ksfisher said:

Hyperbole much?

Forgive me if you thought this was my intent, not to offend, or to be unkind about what General Conference is all about. I love it, and look forward to all meetings coming in October. In fact it unsettling to me that anyone would think, or believe that I would ever seek to speak I’ll of our Church, our Faith, or our leaders. I am sorry if it seemed, I was seeking in any way to undermine any of our beliefs. I love the Faith, I was only repeating some comments and questions posed to me a few long months ago, during a Priesthood lesson. Now, I fear I have overstepped the mark. Again, my apologies to all.  

16 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Forgive me if you thought this was my intent, not to offend, or to be unkind about what General Conference is all about. I love it, and look forward to all meetings coming in October. In fact it unsettling to me that anyone would think, or believe that I would ever seek to speak I’ll of our Church, our Faith, or our leaders. I am sorry if it seemed, I was seeking in any way to undermine any of our beliefs. I love the Faith, I was only repeating some comments and questions posed to me a few long months ago, during a Priesthood lesson. Now, I fear I have overstepped the mark. Again, my apologies to all.  

It wasn't offensive, I just believe that if an argument is sound that hyperbole doesn't need to be used to advance that argument.  In fact, if someone starts relying on hyperbole to convince me of something I start thinking that perhaps the opposite is true.

2 hours ago, ksfisher said:

It wasn't offensive, I just believe that if an argument is sound that hyperbole doesn't need to be used to advance that argument.  In fact, if someone starts relying on hyperbole to convince me of something I start thinking that perhaps the opposite is true.

Well, I, at least, thought it was funny. Comedy does find great use in hyperbole. And the humor comes about because the stereotype has a certain amount of truth in it. Wouldn't surprise me if what Bill described actually happened to a degree. 

3 hours ago, ksfisher said:

Fair enough, but I try to never make any comment, that would sound like, or appearing like “hyperbole”, therefore, I apologize once again. When it comes to discussions about the Gospel, or anything else related to Gospel topics, I always try to walk, well write, in a respectful way. It would seems this time, I overstepped the mark, so again, forgive me. 

On 9/14/2022 at 12:05 PM, Saint Bonaventure said:

So the LDS temple in Rome has multiple statues on the inside? Is that a usual feature? They will certainly fit with locals' expectations about finding statues in a cathedral, basilica, or church.

The statue of Christ is a copy of Danish sculptor Thorvalden’s Christus found in the Church of our Lady, a Lutheran cathedral in Copenhagen. 

Since the mid-1960s, Christus copies have been located in many of our church’s visitor centers, and it has come to be a highly recognizable symbol of our faith. In 1964, the first such copy was placed in the Mormon Pavilion of the New York World’s Fair. 

In the Copenhagen church where Thorvaldsen’s original is located, there are statues he made of Christ’s original apostles, except for Judas Iscariot. For the construction of the temple in Rome, the Church commissioned copies of those statues as well. 

Incidentally, I’ve been to the church in Copenhagen and seen the originals. 

I was on the grounds of the Rome temple in 2016, when it was nearing completion, but have not been back. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
On 9/15/2022 at 1:24 PM, ksfisher said:

I sought to do neither, not use “hyperbole”, to make a point. Nor to use “hyperbole” accidentally. Forgive whichever error you feel that I may have mistakenly employed, to discuss,  or frame any part of the original thread. 

(Again) My apologies.