Atlantic article on Covid stuff

Please use this thread instead of medical info thread.  I am asking for posts to be deleted in other thread, it may take awhile, but don’t assume it won’t happen if you want your post to stick around. Post here instead.  Won’t be asking for any deletions here unless of truly offensive material.  Don’t care about off topic posts. 

Edited by Calm

Not as interesting apparently as it first appeared perhaps?

Good news to me and more reason to be vaccinated:

One of the important implications of the study, these experts say, is that the introduction of vaccines strongly correlates with a greater share of COVID hospital patients having mild or asymptomatic disease. “It’s underreported how well the vaccine makes your life better, how much less sick you are likely to be, and less sick even if hospitalized,” Snyder said. “That’s the gem in this study.”

“People ask me, ‘Why am I getting vaccinated if I just end up in the hospital anyway?’” Griffin said. “But I say, ‘You’ll end up leaving the hospital.’” He explained that some COVID patients are in for “soft” hospitalizations, where they need only minimal treatment and leave relatively quickly; others may be on the antiviral drug remdesivir for five days, or with a tube down their throat. One of the values of this study, he said, is that it helps the public understand this distinction—and the fact that not all COVID hospitalizations are the same.

I wonder what people think about this article America’s Entire Understanding of the Pandemic Was Shaped by Messy Data

the data are not very good in this pandemic.  Numbers don't always 

It really frustrates me that anyone who raises questions about the data in any way, shape or form is automatically assumed to be some sort of enemy of the people.  The last time I wanted to talk about some numbers I was accused on this board  (I think) of wanting to go to a high school and shoot children.

Edited by Danzo
33 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

You do realize that it is researchers and scientist themselves that keep questioning the data that has helped improve what we know about this disease?

It isn't questioning the data that is a problem.

Questioning the data isn't the problem, Not questioning the data is the problem,as was reported in the article Linked above.  I find it problematic when people talk about the data without understanding where the data come from, how it is collected and how it is reported.   I have a background in database construction and analysis, and I know there are a whole lot of ways to query a database.  Also, It is difficult to get good data analysis without good data entry.

Also the problem is trying to play "Are you on my team?" and "are you my enemy?"  based on questions asked instead of addressing the data and providing more information. 

Even in your response, you seem be making an accusation about me and my motives, rather than adressing the issues of the post.  

It isn't about what is true or how can we understand thebetter, its about who is right and (more importantly) Identify enemies and people we can righteously fight.  

7 hours ago, Danzo said:

Questioning the data isn't the problem, Not questioning the data is the problem,as was reported in the article Linked above.  I find it problematic when people talk about the data without understanding where the data come from, how it is collected and how it is reported.   I have a background in database construction and analysis, and I know there are a whole lot of ways to query a database.  Also, It is difficult to get good data analysis without good data entry.

Also the problem is trying to play "Are you on my team?" and "are you my enemy?"  based on questions asked instead of addressing the data and providing more information. 

Even in your response, you seem be making an accusation about me and my motives, rather than adressing the issues of the post.  

It isn't about what is true or how can we understand thebetter, its about who is right and (more importantly) Identify enemies and people we can righteously fight.  

From the start our area news only reported numbers of cases and deaths with no additional information. They still do in our new area. IMO the purpose is to frighten people, not inform them. Your thoughts on that?

On 9/15/2021 at 6:39 PM, Bernard Gui said:

From the start our area news only reported numbers of cases and deaths with no additional information. They still do in our new area. IMO the purpose is to frighten people, not inform them. Your thoughts on that?

I would like to see additional data published.

1. I would like it deaths were reported as the day they occured, not the day they were reported by the health authorities.

2. I would like to know how make positive tests were new cases. Most people test often after they get a positive test and I would like to know if the case counts are double counting these people.

3. I wish the covid deaths included the main cause of death (cardiac arrest, pneumonia, car accident, etc). Currently, deaths are reported as deaths with covid, not necessarily of covid.

4. It would also be nice if deaths reported what the underlying conditions actually were and  not just that they had underlying conditions were.  

5. It would be nice if vaccination status was reported with both positive test results and deaths.

On 9/14/2021 at 3:56 PM, Calm said:

Don’t care about off topic posts. 

How about them Dodgers !?!