Papa will, or must watch “R” rated movie. I feel duty bound.

Next week, I feel the need to watch an “R rated movie”, produced and directed by Clint Eastwood. The movie, is entitled “Richard Jewell”, (I believe this is how he spelled his family name). I will do this because I was working in law-enforcement for the City of Atlanta at the time, while many sources went about to destroy this man’s good name. 

Despite the fact he acted in his proper capacity, and saved many lives, things unraveled badly for him very quickly. He had always wanted to be an Atlanta Police Officer, but had weight problems, and not being very assertive, made it difficult. He was however able to get a job working security for the 1996 Olympics, in the City of Atlanta. Despite helping to clear the area in Centennial Park, when the bomb threat was called in, and the bomb located, he was a true hero, who acted well under stress. Then a College Professor, where Richard once worked, called and suggested to the FBI, that he might have set the bomb, then called it in, to gain attention. This is when the FBI, who were lazy, and wanted to close the case quickly, and the media, who just wanted to get the scoop first, as well as some Atlanta Police, who wanted some of the glory, went about trying to ruin his life. In many ways, well most ways they did, he was able to sue, and was awarded a lot of money, but that was to punish those who harmed his mother and himself. Because of the money, he never had to work again, but he still wanted to be a Police Officer, however because of the damage done to his name, he only landed a job as a Police Officer, in a very small municipality. But, all he suffered lead to a lot of depression, so he seldom took care of his diabetes (I believe it was), and died far too young. 

So many of us who served in law-enforcement, who were very upset and jaded toward the FBI, and the Media, and even those who are still on the job, or retired like myself, as are many of my friends, who still have no use for either one. It is, by any measure, and American tragedy, the bombing, and the way a good man was treated. So, I wish to see the movie, to ensure accuracy, and because I was a witness to many of the events as they unfolded. I also wish to see it, to pay homage to a good man, and a hero. 

Papa, you do know that it has been years since the Pres. Hinckley advertised that he saw Schindler's List, or was it the Tom Hanks war film? and For the Strength of Youth was changed to encourage decisions made on content rather that the grades given by a US committee on morals in films (which seems quite the oxymoron), I hope. 

2 minutes ago, rpn said:

Papa, you do know that it has been years since the Pres. Hinckley advertised that he saw Schindler's List, or was it the Tom Hanks war film? and For the Strength of Youth was changed to encourage decisions made on content rather that the grades given by a US committee on morals in films (which seems quite the oxymoron), I hope. 

I did not know this, but both movies you listed are very good choices. 

45 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

The media , particularly one newspaper Atlantic Journal??? , are complaining about how they are portrayed in the film and how a female reporter was presented. Pot calling kettle ??? 

They all whine, no matter how right or true the movie is, they can always dish it out, but never take it. When I see the movie, knowing facts, I will tell the truth, if the movie gets it wrong. My guess however, is no matter how harsh,  it won’t even approach how badly Richard was treated. 

15 hours ago, rpn said:

Can you provide a reference for this?

Also, does anyone know the last time the R-Rating was mentioned by name in either a conference talk or Ensign article?

A google search for the church website on “rated R” shows a number up to 2010, then it really drops with only one dated in a blog from 2017 and the rest nondated stuff that looks more like reminiscing or tradition based counsel than current revelation counsel if that makes sense, but it was taking forever to load pages so I just read the few lines on google, so not making a solid claim for now. May try again later. 

Edited by Calm

I did not know Jewel had passed away.  What a sad story.  

Also, I had recently asked a friend “what is the deal with movie ratings and church expectations these days? 

Glad to know we are expected to think for ourselves on this one.  It is, after all, a world church and the US rating system is, well, just that. 

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

Also, I had recently asked a friend “what is the deal with movie ratings and church expectations these days? 

Glad to know we are expected to think for ourselves on this one.  It is, after all, a world church and the US rating system is, well, just that. 

And honestly, while there are a few rated R movies that are probably o.k. with God that we watch, there are probably quite a few PG-13 movies that He probably doesn't agree with.

(Though I've noticed that while there are a number of members who believe the spirit will tell us it's o.k. to watch rated R or TV-MA shows there aren't nearly as many who believe the spirit has opinions about anything that's PG-13 :lol:).

20 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I assume it is still the same. However they have so many ways to cause a movie to be rated. It would seem the number of times a vulgar word is spoken  can cause a movie to receive it to be rated “R”. There are many movies rated PG, or PG-13, that once would berated “R”, or worse. Even movies that are created for and around, Christian values, not only have higher ratings, sometime they even come with, “verbal warnings”. As religious themes seem to be very dangerous in the eyes of Hollywood,  than many truly violet and sexual themed movies. 

I would like to see this too. I still have hang ups about R rated movies though. I feel like a total hypocrite because I will often stream TV MA. I will try a streaming show and if it has mild bad language and violence and is a good story, I will continue. I will not watch things with nudity or sex scenes.