FearlessFixxer Posted May 2, 2018 Posted May 2, 2018 For those that saw the KUTV coverage last night, they published the raw, uncut interviews here: http://kutv.com/news/local/mormonleaks-full-interviews 1
Exiled Posted May 2, 2018 Posted May 2, 2018 1 hour ago, FearlessFixxer said: For those that saw the KUTV coverage last night, they published the raw, uncut interviews here: http://kutv.com/news/local/mormonleaks-full-interviews I think you and your partner are doing a great job. Please keep doing what you're doing. 1
ALarson Posted May 2, 2018 Posted May 2, 2018 2 hours ago, FearlessFixxer said: For those that saw the KUTV coverage last night, they published the raw, uncut interviews here: http://kutv.com/news/local/mormonleaks-full-interviews Listening now....thanks for posting this!
Tacenda Posted May 2, 2018 Posted May 2, 2018 Fearkess Fixxer, when asked for your true intentions in starting this, were you being totally honest? I waited all week to watch the segment that the news had advertised. But I feel like they put you on the spot with the question and wondered if you were able to honestly answer, if it were me I would have a terrible time answering. Because some days I'm so angry with the church that I do want it to fall, only for people to be able to guide themselves without relying on these higher ups all the time. Not speaking of everyone, but I do have a mother-in-law that is so stressed out because of the church, I'd love for her to see it's flaws so she won't feel so flawed. So sometimes I just want the church to come down, and then become a church that is just about the Saviour and his love, and his atonement. But no, the church heaps up so much that I don't understand how the members can do it without a lot of fallout.
Popular Post Robert F. Smith Posted May 3, 2018 Popular Post Posted May 3, 2018 12 hours ago, Tacenda said: Fearkess Fixxer, when asked for your true intentions in starting this, were you being totally honest? I waited all week to watch the segment that the news had advertised. But I feel like they put you on the spot with the question and wondered if you were able to honestly answer, if it were me I would have a terrible time answering. Because some days I'm so angry with the church that I do want it to fall, only for people to be able to guide themselves without relying on these higher ups all the time. Not speaking of everyone, but I do have a mother-in-law that is so stressed out because of the church, I'd love for her to see it's flaws so she won't feel so flawed. So sometimes I just want the church to come down, and then become a church that is just about the Saviour and his love, and his atonement. But no, the church heaps up so much that I don't understand how the members can do it without a lot of fallout. I don't have any problem at all with the materials leaked by McKnight and Dodge, and I consider them sincere. I don't feel that transparency can hurt the Church, and I take note that Ethan Dodge states upfront that he doesn't share the common desire within the ex-Mormon community that the LDS Church should be destroyed. I'm glad that he doesn't share that irrational anger. At the same time, I do not agree with every comment these guys make. Sometimes I think that they actually misunderstand why the Church as an institution does what it does. However, we have discussions on this board all the time over just such matters of interpretation. In the end, transparency is generally good. 8
ALarson Posted May 3, 2018 Posted May 3, 2018 9 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: I don't have any problem at all with the materials leaked by McKnight and Dodge, and I consider them sincere. I don't feel that transparency can hurt the Church, and I take note that Ethan Dodge states upfront that he doesn't share the common desire within the ex-Mormon community that the LDS Church should be destroyed. I'm glad that he doesn't share that irrational anger. At the same time, I do not agree with every comment these guys make. Sometimes I think that they actually misunderstand why the Church as an institution does what it does. However, we have discussions on this board all the time over just such matters of interpretation. In the end, transparency is generally good. I agree. I listened to most of their interviews (link posted above) and was actually really impressed with what I heard. I don't agree with everything they've done, but I think they are sincere. 2
Robert F. Smith Posted May 3, 2018 Posted May 3, 2018 2 hours ago, ALarson said: I agree. I listened to most of their interviews (link posted above) and was actually really impressed with what I heard. I don't agree with everything they've done, but I think they are sincere. I found it interesting that the BYU professor of journalism got a more or less positive response from his class on this matter. That bodes well for the future. On the other hand, I don't agree at all with that professor on what defines a journalist, or that they must conform to a set of published rules. I think it appropriate that McKnight and Dodge are very careful not to leak certain very personal materials. As with the work of the Tanners, I think that MormonLeaks can only strengthen the LDS Church in the long run. 1
pogi Posted May 3, 2018 Posted May 3, 2018 Joel Campbell (Journalism professor at BYU) also has a good interview about the ethics of Mormonleaks here: http://kutv.com/news/local/full-unedited-interviews-with-the-two-men-behind-mormonleaks 1
hope_for_things Posted May 3, 2018 Posted May 3, 2018 15 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said: I found it interesting that the BYU professor of journalism got a more or less positive response from his class on this matter. That bodes well for the future. On the other hand, I don't agree at all with that professor on what defines a journalist, or that they must conform to a set of published rules. I think it appropriate that McKnight and Dodge are very careful not to leak certain very personal materials. As with the work of the Tanners, I think that MormonLeaks can only strengthen the LDS Church in the long run. I saw that Joel Campbell the BYU professor sent out a tweet that he was concerned that the edited video that aired on TV didn't adequately reflect his positions on Mormon Leaks, and he sent the tweet to Heidi Hatch who produced this story voicing his concern. I noticed that since then KUTV has posted the full unedited interview with the professor as well. http://kutv.com/news/local/full-unedited-interviews-with-the-two-men-behind-mormonleaks
hope_for_things Posted May 3, 2018 Posted May 3, 2018 3 minutes ago, pogi said: Joel Campbell (Journalism professor at BYU) also has a good interview about the ethics of Mormonleaks here: http://kutv.com/news/local/full-unedited-interviews-with-the-two-men-behind-mormonleaks ahh you beat me to it. It was interesting to listen to his full interview as well.
provoman Posted May 3, 2018 Posted May 3, 2018 On 5/2/2018 at 7:08 AM, FearlessFixxer said: For those that saw the KUTV coverage last night, they published the raw, uncut interviews here: http://kutv.com/news/local/mormonleaks-full-interviews Are you going to fix the unnecessary redactions in the depositions posted the other day? And how about a little background for the purpose of the depositions. Do the deposition involve the defamation lawsuit filed by Karena McGraw?
Robert F. Smith Posted May 4, 2018 Posted May 4, 2018 5 hours ago, hope_for_things said: I saw that Joel Campbell the BYU professor sent out a tweet that he was concerned that the edited video that aired on TV didn't adequately reflect his positions on Mormon Leaks, and he sent the tweet to Heidi Hatch who produced this story voicing his concern. I noticed that since then KUTV has posted the full unedited interview with the professor as well. http://kutv.com/news/local/full-unedited-interviews-with-the-two-men-behind-mormonleaks Yes, I watched the complete interviews with all three individuals, and learned a lot.
Robert F. Smith Posted May 4, 2018 Posted May 4, 2018 5 hours ago, pogi said: Joel Campbell (Journalism professor at BYU) also has a good interview about the ethics of Mormonleaks here: http://kutv.com/news/local/full-unedited-interviews-with-the-two-men-behind-mormonleaks It is not central to this thread, but I have strong misgivings about journalists in general and some of the absurd rules they follow which are inimical to accurate reportage. For example, no professional journalist in America is permitted to state accurately the nature of an arrest, i.e., all arrests are falsely listed in newsreports as arrests on "suspicion" for this or that crime, even though police are never permitted to make an arrest for "suspicion" of anything. That would be illegal. Journalists are taught that accurately stating that John Doe was arrested on a charge of burglary, or whatever, might prejudice the public into thinking he is guilty of that crime. After all, his trial has not yet been held, and he is innocent until proven guilty. The problem with claiming falsely that he has been arrested on "suspicion" of burglary leads the public to believe that police may make arrests merely because they have suspicion -- which is completely false -- thus giving the public a false view of their legal system. That slow creep of falsity can lead to loss of rights over time. Schools of journalism have done great damage to accurate newsreporting. I would much rather have journalists with degrees in English, political science, history, law, etc., which is where we used to get all our journalists. Having substantive knowledge gave them a much deeper perspective on reality than just learning how talk nicely in front of a camera. 2
The Nehor Posted May 4, 2018 Posted May 4, 2018 No questions about why you are both ready to embrace the fires of hell to post boring policy documents. Journalism sure has gotten sloppy. 3
clarkgoble Posted May 4, 2018 Posted May 4, 2018 1 hour ago, The Nehor said: Journalism sure has gotten sloppy. Partially due to the pretty big changes in the economics of journalism with the move to internet news and the bad economics of internet advertising for revenue compared to the situation in the 80's and before. 16 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: Schools of journalism have done great damage to accurate newsreporting. I would much rather have journalists with degrees in English, political science, history, law, etc., which is where we used to get all our journalists. Having substantive knowledge gave them a much deeper perspective on reality than just learning how talk nicely in front of a camera. From what I've read most prestigious journalist organizations still look down upon journalism degrees and have a lot of reporters without college degrees. 1
mfbukowski Posted May 4, 2018 Posted May 4, 2018 Sigh. Local news in a worldwide church. There are actually a few Mormons outside of Utah.
bluebell Posted May 4, 2018 Posted May 4, 2018 27 minutes ago, mfbukowski said: Sigh. Local news in a worldwide church. There are actually a few Mormons outside of Utah. I'm not sure how mormon leaks is considered 'local news' since it's actions concern the entire mormon church. Can you explain what you mean?
Recommended Posts