Seriously No Politics ×

BYU-I Teach let go

Robertson said she felt secure in making her posts on Facebook because it is private; no students followed her online and her beliefs have never been taught in a classroom.

I'm curious how BYU-I's action here works with Elder Christofferson's earlier claim:

There hasn't been any litmus test or standard imposed that you can't support that if you want to support it, if that's your belief and you think its right

http://kutv.com/news/local/byu-idaho-fires-an-adjunct-professor-after-lgbt-pride-month-post-on-facebook

Is it a good idea to base a job at a Church-owned school, granted, on whether a professor agrees with policy on her personal facebook entries?   Why does her personal view expressed on facebook require her to lose her job? 

6 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

"This is my official announcement and declaration that I believe heterosexuality and homosexuality are both natural and neither is sinful."

The part of this statement regarding homosexuality seems to stand in direct opposition to the teachings of the church. 

Should a person who has come on publicly in "official" oppositions to the teachings of the church be allowed to teach the youth of the church at a private church owned school?

Why would I as a parent want a teacher who officially stands in opposition to the teachings of the church teaching one of my children?

I would hope by the time they get to university they could tell the difference between someone's opinion and what the Church's stance is. What do you make of the Elder Christofferson statement?

12 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Nothing you post on the internet is private. 

A teacher at a school is in a position to greatly influence the lives of youth.  Should an organization have people teaching at private a school who's beliefs are not in line with that of the organization? 

What if this was an airline exec who was posting online urging friends and family to fly other airlines?

Your example does not match up with what we're talking about.  She advocates for the Church but disagrees with a particular principle. It'd be like an airline exec getting canned because he expresses on facebook that he wished the airline was better at scheduling flights. 

"This is my official announcement and declaration that I believe heterosexuality and homosexuality are both natural and neither is sinful."

The part of this statement regarding homosexuality seems to stand in direct opposition to the teachings of the church. 

Should a person who has come on publicly in "official" oppositions to the teachings of the church be allowed to teach the youth of the church at a private church owned school?

Yes.

Why would I as a parent want a teacher who officially stands in opposition to the teachings of the church teaching one of my children?

She's not teaching them about sexuality. 

1 minute ago, Duncan said:

I would hope by the time they get to university they could tell the difference between someone's opinion and what the Church's stance is. What do you make of the Elder Christofferson statement?

Teachers and leaders are very influential in the lives of children and young adults.  Teachers are placed in a position of trust and are expected to live up to that.  If I were to send my son or daughter to a church owned school I would expect the beliefs and actions of the faculty and staff to be in agreement with the teachings of the church.  This professor has officially come out in opposition to church teachings.  Why would I voluntarily place my children in a position to be taught by this person?  And at a church owned school no less.

I would need to see the full context of Elder Christofferson's statement.  Was he speaking to church leaders, employees, members in general?  The actions of any employee of the Church of Jesus Christ of Lattter-day Saints reflect upon the church.  Even if a church employee does nothing that would jeopardize their standing in the church improper actions or statements cannot help but reflect upon the church. 

6 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Your example does not match up with what we're talking about.  She advocates for the Church but disagrees with a particular principle. It'd be like an airline exec getting canned because he expresses on facebook that he wished the airline was better at scheduling flights. 

Perhaps the analogy was poor.  But you do understand what I'm trying to get at, don't you?

6 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Yes.

She's not teaching them about sexuality. 

I don't think it matters what she's teaching.  She is an official employee of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- day Saints who is publicly in opposition to the teachings of the church on a point of doctrine that is very key in today society. 

51 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

I'm curious how BYU-I's action here works with Elder Christofferson's earlier claim:

http://kutv.com/news/local/byu-idaho-fires-an-adjunct-professor-after-lgbt-pride-month-post-on-facebook

Is it a good idea to base a job at a Church-owned school, granted, on whether a professor agrees with policy on her personal facebook entries?   Why does her personal view expressed on facebook require her to lose her job? 

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/2108746-155/we-all-can-be-more-civil : What does the LDS Church think of members who back same-sex marriage? [Next Paragraph] "There hasn't been any litmus test or standard imposed that you couldn't support that if you want to support it," Christofferson said, "if that's your belief and you think it's right."

I think her FB post goes far beyond supporting same-sex marriage and gets into supporting same-sex relationships and countering and condemning the policies and moral teachings of the Church. The tone is not very gracious toward her employer's sponsor, and I've seen people get fired from all sorts of organizations for that kind of thing.

18 minutes ago, Duncan said:

He is speaking of support of same-sex marriage. She is speaking of her support of things that go against the doctrine of her employer's sponsoring institution, and against the doctrines and policies themselves.

Edited by CV75

if I were her i'd write a letter to Elder Christofferson and say what happened and this is what you said and be upright about it and see if he can't reinstate her or give her a recommendation for another school

6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Does the church school state anywhere that expressing views contrary to church doctrine is enough to get fired?  Is it a written policy?

Most organizations have policies that permit firing for just about anything that comes up, especially those that are "at will." Most infractions that are specified writing relate to the obvious employee peccadillos and no-tolerance types of things.

4 minutes ago, Danzo said:

Its a private school folks,  run by a church.

They can and should be able to fire someone for whatever reason they want to.  There is no such thing as a private post to the internet.  

Y'all act as if she was a government worker with a union contract.

I once got rid of a perfectly capable programmer because he wouldn't take a bath.  

it needed to said

Edited by Duncan
5 minutes ago, Duncan said:

if I were her i'd write a letter to Elder Christofferson and say what happened and this is what you said and be upright about it and see if he can't reinstate her or give her a recommendation for another school

I would think that before this professors employment was terminated that the schools board was notified.

Brigham Young University-Idaho Board of Trustees

Officers
President Thomas S. Monson
President Henry B. Eyring
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Roger G. Christensen, Secretary

Board Members
President Thomas S. Monson
President Henry B. Eyring
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Elder Russell M. Nelson
Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Elder M. Russell Ballard
Elder Donald L. Hallstrom
Sister Linda K. Burton
Sister Elaine S. Dalton

Executive Committee Members

Elder Russell M. Nelson, Chairman
Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Elder Donald L. Hallstrom
Sister Linda K. Burton

Commissioner of Education
Elder Paul V. Johnson

4 minutes ago, Danzo said:

Its a private school folks,  run by a church.

They can and should be able to fire someone for whatever reason they want to.  There is no such thing as a private post to the internet.  

Y'all act as if she was a government worker with a union contract.

I once got rid of a perfectly capable programmer because he wouldn't take a bath.  

As well you should have.

31 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I think he was talking about church membership, not church employment.  I think standards are a bit higher for employment, as they should be.

2 minutes ago, Danzo said:

I think he was talking about church membership, not church employment.  I think standards are a bit higher for employment, as they should be.

think or know? I recall when SSM became legal in the US the 1st Presidency sent a letter saying this and that and it had to be read in the various quorums and our Bishop was like, where was this letter like 10 years when SSM became legal in Canada? When it becomes a problem for the US then it becomes a problem for the leaders but other countries, you're on your own seemingly