Real life Rudy from Notre Dame is baptized into LDS church

gopher

Even if you aren't a football fan, everyone loves the movie Rudy starring Sean Astin.  For some reason, I always think of Rudy as one of the favorite movies for LDS (along with Princess Bride, Napoleon Dynamite, etc).

"Rudy Ruettiger, a former Notre Dame Fighting Irish walk-on whose brief career was dramatized by Hollywood, was baptized Saturday into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints."

Link

21 minutes ago, gopher said:

Even if you aren't a football fan, everyone loves the movie Rudy starring Sean Astin.  For some reason, I always think of Rudy as one of the favorite movies for LDS (along with Princess Bride, Napoleon Dynamite, etc).

"Rudy Ruettiger, a former Notre Dame Fighting Irish walk-on whose brief career was dramatized by Hollywood, was baptized Saturday into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints."

Link

Why does this post offend my senses?  Not his baptism...that I'm fine with...but the advertising of his baptism and the celebration of it as if it means anything.  I'll never understand the LDS need to worship celebrity members...does it somehow make being a member of the church seem more normal? I say this because when I was a missionary it was rumored that Steve Martin had been baptized...we were ecstatic at hearing this (so no I'm not immune to this celebrity worship either)  That rumor turned out to be untrue...but still...this news will be shared on FB and members will somehow feel better about their membership because some random minor celebrity is baptized.  I can understand why scientologists need this celebrity confirmation but why do members of the LDS church need this?

57 minutes ago, Johnnie Cake said:

Why does this post offend my senses?  Not his baptism...that I'm fine with...but the advertising of his baptism and the celebration of it as if it means anything.  I'll never understand the LDS need to worship celebrity members...does it somehow make being a member of the church seem more normal? I say this because when I was a missionary it was rumored that Steve Martin had been baptized...we were ecstatic at hearing this (so no I'm not immune to this celebrity worship either)  That rumor turned out to be untrue...but still...this news will be shared on FB and members will somehow feel better about their membership because some random minor celebrity is baptized.  I can understand why scientologists need this celebrity confirmation but why do members of the LDS church need this?

This may not soothe your injured senses; BUT, the article linked is published on SB Nation:  One Foot Down--a Norte Dame fan site.  So in this particular case, it's the Catholics who are churning the faith-promoting rumor mill. 

1 hour ago, Johnnie Cake said:

I understand your point.  Let me assure you I'm not into celebrity worship.  Celebrity members often make me cringe more than celebrate.  However, this story showed up on my Yahoo news feed and I thought it was interesting because the movie based on his experience at ND seemed to be popular with church members I've known. 

Edited by gopher
4 hours ago, Johnnie Cake said:

LDS members do not need celebrity confirmation, and those making a big fuss about it remind me of all the fuss made over a handful of members assembling in SLC to publicly announce that they are leaving the LDS faith.  Some people just need the noisy, celebratory confirmation.  Luckily most do not.  

"Why do the Gentiles rage, and the heathen imagine a vain thing?"

10 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

LDS members do not need celebrity confirmation, and those making a big fuss about it remind me of all the fuss made over a handful of members assembling in SLC to publicly announce that they are leaving the LDS faith.  Some people just need the noisy, celebratory confirmation.  Luckily most do not.  

"Why do the Gentiles rage, and the heathen imagine a vain thing?"

Actually it seems that they do Robert   ----> http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865671699/Famous-Notre-Dame-football-walk-on-joins-LDS-Church.html  How many baptized members of the church this year have had an article written about them in the church owned Des News?  Ahhh...... 1  A minor celebrity named Rudy.  I get it...it makes the members here in Utah feel good about themselves and confirms that their religion is normal if someone like Rudy of all people joins... Celebrity confirmation 

Edited by Johnnie Cake
55 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Or, maybe it's just interesting information.  I once had a Spanish class with someone who had been on the Amazing Race.  I guarantee that having him there did not make any of the class members feel better about ourselves or confirm our decision to take Spanish.  But it was still cool to find out, in a fun way.

I don't understand why some almost always paint everything church members do in the worst possible light.  Is there no room for benefit of the doubt?  A little charity?

That the DesNews chose to single out a specific new member baptism and celebrate it with its own story and ignore the 10's of thousands of non-celebrity baptisms seem rather odd don't you think?  I understand that we live in a celebrity world where having close access to a celebrity makes us feel better about ourselves...heck I'm only 3 degrees away from Kevin Bacon myself and only 1 degree removed from Mark Hoffman.

Frankly Bluebell...I think its a wonderful thing that Rudy joined your church...it seems to be a good fit...but its celebrity worship when things like this get elevated to the level of a DesNews article and Facebook posts by members going gaga at the thought of "Rudy" becoming a member.

BTW I love the Amazing Race...I hear its coming back

48 minutes ago, Johnnie Cake said:

That the DesNews chose to single out a specific new member baptism and celebrate it with its own story and ignore the 10's of thousands of non-celebrity baptisms seem rather odd don't you think?  I understand that we live in a celebrity world where having close access to a celebrity makes us feel better about ourselves...heck I'm only 3 degrees away from Kevin Bacon myself and only 1 degree removed from Mark Hoffman.

Frankly Bluebell...I think its a wonderful thing that Rudy joined your church...it seems to be a good fit...but its celebrity worship when things like this get elevated to the level of a DesNews article and Facebook posts by members going gaga at the thought of "Rudy" becoming a member.

It really doesn't seem odd to me. 

Millions of people know who Rudy is, so an article about him would be relevant in an "FYI fun fact" kind of way. 

The best part of having class with the AR kid was getting to ask him questions about everything that happens when the cameras weren't rolling and all the background stuff of how it worked! 😊

57 minutes ago, Johnnie Cake said:

It is almost as if news organizations have a bias on reporting about people other people know about. The story about my decision to invest in peer to peer lending last week got bumped because of some Press Secretary ranting about something. Why do you think this happened?

15 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

It is almost as if news organizations have a bias on reporting about people other people know about. The story about my decision to invest in peer to peer lending last week got bumped because of some Press Secretary ranting about something. Why do you think this happened?

Thought you worked for Whataburger?

23 minutes ago, bluebell said:

It really doesn't seem odd to me. 

Millions of people know who Rudy is, so an article about him would be relevant in an "FYI fun fact" kind of way. 

The best part of having class with the AR kid was getting to ask him questions about everything that happens when the cameras weren't rolling and all the background stuff of how it worked! 😊

It is a fun fact...I think its hilarious that the baptism of "Rudy" made the DesNews...like it or not it is celebrity worship, akin to scientologist and not worthy of members of the LDS church...we got the same goo goo gaga celebrity worship when Gladys Knight joined the church...I was a member back then and I hated it then as I do now...

16 minutes ago, Johnnie Cake said:

It is a fun fact...I think its hilarious that the baptism of "Rudy" made the DesNews...like it or not it is celebrity worship, akin to scientologist and not worthy of members of the LDS church...we got the same goo goo gaga celebrity worship when Gladys Knight joined the church...I was a member back then and I hated it then as I do now...

I don't think it is celebrity worship.  I understand that that is your opinion and that's fine.  But when you say things like "like it or not i'm right' when something is obviously subjective, it comes across unreasonable.  

I prefer to just agree to disagree. :) 

Attitude 1 (with celebrity): Oh Gladys Knight joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That is pretty cool. I love her music. I wonder how she became interested in the church?

Attitude 2 (with non-celebrity, but known): Oh John Smith joined the Church. That is pretty cool. he graduated with my oldest son. I wonder how he became interested in the church?

Attitude 3 (with an unknown person): Oh someone in California joined the church. Uh, that's cool.

There is nothing wrong with any of the above attitudes. Like I said before, it is just fun to know about well known people. I am willing to bet 2 bottle caps and a blunted #2 pencil, that if Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie joined the church it would make the news and many of the news sources would have nothing in relation to the church, but it still will be on TMZ or another type of news station.

I do not worship the celebrity, but hey it is cool to hear about their conversion...

I think some people often like to make connections with others outside their usual routine, even if it is only one sided awareness of others.  It helps them feel part of a greater community.  Sometimes this desire to know of others goes too far into celebrity worship, but often it is just relatively simple curiosity about others in addition to wanting to see one's community expand.

12 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I don't think it is celebrity worship.  I understand that that is your opinion and that's fine.  But when you say things like "like it or not i'm right' when something is obviously subjective, it comes across unreasonable.  

I prefer to just agree to disagree. :) 

point taken...we just agree to disagree...your point is valid...I just see it differently when I see FB feeds gushing over this news...and knowing a history of past celebrity worship by members of the church...it seems to bare out my point.  It may be just a human thing...I'm sure Catholics are proud of fact that JFK was catholic and  Buddhist that Richard Gere is one of them and I know scientologist are proud to have Tom Cruise in their ranks

51 minutes ago, Johnnie Cake said:

like it or not it is celebrity worship

That is almost like saying:

• If a person enjoys the hobby of playing chess he worships Bobby Fischer (or he worships the game of chess).
  • If a few favorite books are the adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, he must worship Mark Twain (or the works of Mark Twain).

To have real celebrity worship, I would think it would entail a person having and becoming overly involved with the details of a celebrity's personal and professional life. Having a fleeting interest of a celebrity joining the Church is just a cool, fun fact perhaps not even enough to file it away for a trivia pursuit  question.

Edited by Anijen

Making all interest in any famous or semi famous out to be worship is as bad as labeling anyone not interested as having unhealthy self-centered, isolationist, antisocial tendencies because they do not display a healthy interest in their fellowman.

I think an easy measure of celebrity worship is if the person shows as much personal interest in the baptisms of family and friends as he does celebrities...and that is generally impossible to know through online behavior as we don't have a chance to view expressions of interests in people's personal relationships usually.  While not sending out announcements of a friend's baptism while sending on articles about baptisms of well known people might be a symptom of celebrity worship, it is imo more likely just a realistic acknowledgment that less people are aware of and thus interested in our near and dear than celebrities and it may also be respecting their privacy...one generally assumes of a celebrity gives a statement or otherwise contributes something to an article, they don't have a privacy issue with the article.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Making all interest in any famous or semi famous out to be worship is as bad as labeling anyone not interested as having unhealthy self-centered, isolationist, antisocial tendencies because they do not display a healthy interest in their fellowman.

I think an easy measure of celebrity worship is if the person shows as much personal interest in the baptisms of family and friends as he does celebrities...and that is generally impossible to know through online behavior as we don't have a chance to view expressions of interests in people's personal relationships usually.  While not sending out announcements of a friend's baptism while sending on articles about baptisms of well known people might be a symptom of celebrity worship, it is imo more likely just a realistic acknowledgment that less people are aware of and thus interested in our near and dear than celebrities and it may also be respecting their privacy...one generally assumes of a celebrity gives a statement or otherwise contributes something to an article, they don't have a privacy issue with the article.

It's great that the LDS like their celebrities and like the fact that it may give legitimacy to the church, IMO. But the thought occurred to me while reading the thread. Does the church do enough to celebrate your average LDS? I don't know.

ETA: Also, curious to know if the church thanks members for their payment of 10 percent from their income, or other things. It's probably out there I'm sure, but would like to see evidence of it in GC for instance.

Edited by Tacenda
10 hours ago, Johnnie Cake said:

Actually it seems that they do Robert   ----> http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865671699/Famous-Notre-Dame-football-walk-on-joins-LDS-Church.html  How many baptized members of the church this year have had an article written about them in the church owned Des News?  Ahhh...... 1  A minor celebrity named Rudy.  I get it...it makes the members here in Utah feel good about themselves and confirms that their religion is normal if someone like Rudy of all people joins... Celebrity confirmation 

10 hours ago, bluebell said:

Or, maybe it's just interesting information.  I once had a Spanish class with someone who had been on the Amazing Race.  I guarantee that having him there did not make any of the class members feel better about ourselves or confirm our decision to take Spanish.  But it was still cool to find out, in a fun way.

I don't understand why some almost always paint everything church members do in the worst possible light.  Is there no room for benefit of the doubt?  A little charity?

We do live in a celebrity culture, in which social media are deemed very important by some people.  So, if someone prominent joins a religion.  Johnnie Cake is telling us that such occasions should be ignored.  So, if a famous athlete, movie star, singer, or what have you becomes Muslim (Cat Stevens), or evangelical (Alice Cooper), Jehovah's Witness (Prince), Jewish (Ivanka Trump), or Roman Catholic (Tony Blair), we should not have that reported in the news -- such would only be "celebrity confirmation."  Sounds to me like he has his head in the sand.

Tom Hanks recalled in an interview that when he was in high school he had a "born-again" experience.  He grew up being exposed to many different religions.  Hanks said, "The major religion I was exposed to in the first 10 years of my life was Catholicism. My stepmother became a Mormon. My aunt, whom I lived with for a long time, was a Nazarene, which is kind of ultra-super Methodist, and in high school, all my friends were Jews."

These are human interest stories, Johnnie.  All they really confirm is that people sometimes change religion.  Would you have us all ignore that?