Church gives $3 million to WFP

1 hour ago, Okrahomer said:

The LDS Church has given $3 million to the UN food program.  President Uchtdorf presented the donation to the organization executive director in Rome, following his visit to refugee camps in Greece.

I read some comments, and some weren't good, like the one that said the money will end up in terrorists hands. I wonder how someone would think that could happen. I'm glad the church did this, but I just want more done I guess. Especially after seeing on FB yesterday two posts, this one and one about Lebron James donating 41 million to help send kids to college. ETA: I saw this one... http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865658706/President-Uchtdorf-visits-refugees-presents-3-million-from-LDS-Church-to-help-refugees.html?pg=all

Also, this money comes from the members according to the article. Probably through Fast Offerings, don't know though.

Edited by Tacenda
2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I read some comments, and some weren't good, like the one that said the money will end up in terrorists hands. I wonder how someone would think that could happen. I'm glad the church did this, but I just want more done I guess. Especially after seeing on FB yesterday two posts, this one and one about Lebron James donating 41 million to help send kids to college. ETA: I saw this one... http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865658706/President-Uchtdorf-visits-refugees-presents-3-million-from-LDS-Church-to-help-refugees.html?pg=all

Also, this money comes from the members according to the article. Probably through Fast Offerings, don't know though.

I agree, it isn't enough.  The newsroom article indicates that there are an estimated 795 million hungry people in the world today.  This will help, but my sense is that much more needs to be done.

I don't think this donation comes from Fast Offerings.  The D-News article makes clear that it comes from LDS Charities which is funded through donations to LDS Philathropies and/or the Humanitarian Aid Fund.  (See here.)  

I think what Lebron James is doing is great.  Keep in mind though that this is coming from the Lebron James Family Foundation--a charitable organization that solicits partnerships and donations from other athletes, organizations and private individuals--it is a community-based effort.  The program is also not a single one-off donation, but rather a longer-term program happening over the course of several years.  (See here.)

39 minutes ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

I'm happy whenever the church donates money. It's good to see my tithing put to good use.

I agree, but this did not come from your tithing--it came from donations made to LDS Philathropies and the Humanitarian Aid Fund.

1 hour ago, Okrahomer said:

I agree, it isn't enough.  The newsroom article indicates that there are an estimated 795 million hungry people in the world today.  This will help, but my sense is that much more needs to be done.

I don't think this donation comes from Fast Offerings.  The D-News article makes clear that it comes from LDS Charities which is funded through donations to LDS Philathropies and/or the Humanitarian Aid Fund.  (See here.)  

I think what Lebron James is doing is great.  Keep in mind though that this is coming from the Lebron James Family Foundation--a charitable organization that solicits partnerships and donations from other athletes, organizations and private individuals--it is a community-based effort.  The program is also not a single one-off donation, but rather a longer-term program happening over the course of several years.  (See here.)

Great, thanks for the info, I tend to speed read, and skip on things.

14 minutes ago, Rain said:

This isn't the churches maiden voyage of give to the poor and the needy. They know what they are doing about as well as most anyone.

Back in the late 80s I was able to meet Elder Ballard through a school service thing.  He told our little group about the problems with donating to Ethiopia and how they had to work things to get the help to the people who need it.  I'm sure they have learned much more in the 30 years since then about getting things in the right hands.

Maybe the church could give more to the foundation below, they are even members of church. Helping the poor and needy is the fourth in line as part of our mission in the church. Stands to reason that more of our tithing could be spent on it. Rather than the pittance that is spent now which is probably under $20.00 a year per member, if that.

http://www.liahonachildren.org/

8 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

The LDS Church has given $3 million to the UN food program.  President Uchtdorf presented the donation to the organization executive director in Rome, following his visit to refugee camps in Greece.

The LDS Church frequently makes millions of dollars available via non-LDS relief programs -- usually simply because such organizations can effectively deliver aid, while the LDS Church does not always have an organized effort on the ground.  The Church has given, for example, large sums to Catholic Relief in Africa.

Rain, you make a good point, one that I have tried to make to various people over the years.  When the Church says that it has donated however many dollars to various causes, that's not the whole story.  There is so much more that goes into administrative costs, donated man hours, etc.

i would love to see a coalition of members joined together to be responsive to other members on where they would like their dollars to go..and a statement of sorts to reflect the will of members.  Tithing could actually be tithing and a balance of dollars go to countries, contributions that are close to the heart of its members.  Donations to missionaries and perhaps welfare would still remain separate but not conditioned to be a reflection on Temple recommends and such.  I may be off my rocker here and how money is spent, but those people who want to contribute should have a voice. For all the 10%'s I have paid, I would have like a slip that gave me a choice where I wanted it to go.  Maybe 3% to Temples...the rest to those who needed it most.

Edited by Jeanne
3 hours ago, Jeanne said:

i would love to see a coalition of members joined together to be responsive to other members on where they would like their dollars to go..and a statement of sorts to reflect the will of members.  Tithing could actually be tithing and a balance of dollars go to countries, contributions that are close to the heart of its members.  Donations to missionaries and perhaps welfare would still remain separate but not conditioned to be a reflection on Temple recommends and such.  I may be off my rocker here and how money is spent, but those people who want to contribute should have a voice. For all the 10%'s I have paid, I would have like a slip that gave me a choice where I wanted it to go.  Maybe 3% to Temples...the rest to those who needed it most.

I agree to some extent,  but with my experience I also think that it could not be getting to some of the neediest. 

We thought one of our children was going to have spina bifida. We were so grateful when he didn't and want to help others who did have it.  So sometimes we donate to a children's hospital and specify the money to help with spina bifida in some way.  

However,  because of my time with the organization I talked about I know there are so many things that don't hit the news and they don't get near the help from the public because of it.  Small cases and large cases that desparately need help, but most people aren't donating to them because they don't know they exist.  Our organization worked directly with the organization being helped so that even the unknown cases could be helped.

The unwieldiness of having everyone in the church choose where the money goes could be staggering and would take money away from those that need help.  A good compromise is letting those in the church who know the known and unknown cases deal with it with the money already donated through tithing, fast offerings etc. And then donating specific money to either other charitable organizations of your choosing or specifying what you would like on one's  church donation. I know, I know about the little blurb on the tithing slip, but I think the fact that they allow you to put specifications down, and sometimes even remind you of that, shows that they probably are not going to willy nilly change where your donation is going.

Edited by Rain
13 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Maybe the church could give more to the foundation below, they are even members of church. Helping the poor and needy is the fourth in line as part of our mission in the church. Stands to reason that more of our tithing could be spent on it. Rather than the pittance that is spent now which is probably under $20.00 a year per member, if that.

http://www.liahonachildren.org/

The LDS Church does have a variety of foci, but that does not mean that the poor and needy do not get adequate regard.  As it is, the LDS Church contributes more per capita to humanitarian purposes than any other religious organization.  That is not a "pittance," as you put it.  We still do a better job than anyone else in helping the needy.  That should count for something, Tacenda.

1 hour ago, Rain said:

I agree to some extent,  but with my experience I also think that it could not be getting to some of the neediest. 

We thought one of our children was going to have spina bifida. We were so grateful when he didn't and want to help others who did have it.  So sometimes we donate to a children's hospital and specify the money to help with spina bifida in some way.  

However,  because of my time with the organization I talked about I know there are so many things that don't hit the news and they don't get near the help from the public because of it.  Small cases and large cases that desparately need help, but most people aren't donating to them because they don't know they exist.  Our organization worked directly with the organization being helped so that even the unknown cases could be helped.

The unwieldiness of having everyone in the church choose where the money goes could be staggering and would take money away from those that need help.  A good compromise is letting those in the church who know the known and unknown cases deal with it with the money already donated through tithing, fast offerings etc. And then donating specific money to either other charitable organizations of your choosing or specifying what you would like on one's  church donation. I know, I know about the little blurb on the tithing slip, but I think the fact that they allow you to put specifications down, and sometimes even remind you of that, shows that they probably are not going to willy nilly change where your donation is going.

I understand your perspective here.  To make something like this work..there would have to be a good system set up that would have priorities.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

I understand your perspective here.  To make something like this work..there would have to be a good system set up that would have priorities.  Thanks!

Perhaps this group could be formed into a council who were called by the Lord, ordained, and given stewardship over the tithes of the church...on second thought , no, that wouldn't work at all.

6 hours ago, Jeanne said:

I think it would be dangerous spiritually to imagine tithing contributions as still being "my money". Beyond tithing of course we do decide where our money goes.

46 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Perhaps this group could be formed into a council who were called by the Lord, ordained, and given stewardship over the tithes of the church...on second thought , no, that wouldn't work at all.

:PNo...that wouldn't work..the members still don't know where everything goes.

32 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I think it would be dangerous spiritually to imagine tithing contributions as still being "my money". Beyond tithing of course we do decide where our money goes.

They want to give their monies in the spirit of giving..That doesn't change their hearts.  All it means that instead of a mall..millions of kids get to have a school or something.

1 minute ago, ksfisher said:

Perhaps a side benefit of the giving is learning to trust those whom the Lord has chosen.

Well Lord knows where the money is!;)  Trust should work both ways and be earned.  The church should trust the members enough to be more open about where their donations go. 

6 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Well Lord knows where the money is!;)  Trust should work both ways and be earned.  The church should trust the members enough to be more open about where their donations go. 

The First Presidency and the Apostles need to earn our trust?  How about the Presiding Bishopric?  The Lord has called and chosen these brethren, and they meed to earn our trust?

2 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

The First Presidency and the Apostles need to earn our trust?  How about the Presiding Bishopric?  The Lord has called and chosen these brethren, and they meed to earn our trust?

Yes.  They are just the same as anybody else.  Any job you have right now in the church, you have been called to do.  Surely you have to earn the trust of the Bishop and the Lord that you are worthy and capable of their trust.

13 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I think it trusts most of its members but if they release the numbers they will also go to our enemies. Transparency is a wonderful concept in principle but in practice it can lead to vicious unfounded attacks.

3 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Yes.  They are just the same as anybody else.  Any job you have right now in the church, you have been called to do.  Surely you have to earn the trust of the Bishop and the Lord that you are worthy and capable of their trust.

You're proving my point here.  If the Lord has called prophets and apostles, and he has placed His trust in them, and we trust the Lord, shouldn't we trust those who He has chosen?

Just now, ksfisher said:

You're proving my point here.  If the Lord has called prophets and apostles, and he has placed His trust in them, and we trust the Lord, shouldn't we trust those who He has chosen?

Just now, ksfisher said:

We should.  I think my take on it is how I feel about God.  I see the Great and Spacious building in a different way. Though I know and admit the good that the Church does in many, many ways; I fail to see that receiving monies to reap more money is part of God's big plan.