Seriously No Politics ×

title of president

Why are all three members of the first presidency and all three members of a stake presidency referred to as president? The counselors of an Elder's Quorum presidency do not carry this title. We only refer to the head of a Melchizedek quorum as president, not an auxiliary. For example, the young woman's president is not President so and so. So only the president of a Melchizedek priesthood quorum takes on the title of president. But then, a mission president is called president but the president of an area is not given this title. Each member of a temple presidency is called president, at least the ones I know of, but not councilors in a mission presidency. Any thoughts? I have read through the manuals and have not found any clear explanation. 

9 minutes ago, Freedom said:

Why are all three members of the first presidency and all three members of a stake presidency referred to as president? The counselors of an Elder's Quorum presidency do not carry this title. We only refer to the head of a Melchizedek quorum as president, not an auxiliary. For example, the young woman's president is not President so and so. So only the president of a Melchizedek priesthood quorum takes on the title of president. But then, a mission president is called president but the president of an area is not given this title. Each member of a temple presidency is called president, at least the ones I know of, but not councilors in a mission presidency. Any thoughts? I have read through the manuals and have not found any clear explanation. 

No answer to the main question, but I do believe that councilors in a mission presidency are referred to as President.  At least that's what I've always called them.

9 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

No answer to the main question, but I do believe that councilors in a mission presidency are referred to as President.  At least that's what I've always called them.

Interesting because the name tags say 'elder'. At least the ones I have paid attention to. 

22 minutes ago, Freedom said:

It's part of the Unwritten Order of Things.  Which makes it impossible for them to write it down.

My dad recently served in a mission presidency (2010/2011) and "his" missionaries always refer to him as president.

YW presidents are often called President instead of Sister at many functions and I know many Bishops who refer to them as President So-and-So when they refer to them in conversation, but it's usually much more casual otherwise.

That's all I can offer off hand.

A presidency is not one person it is a group of people. Therefore anyone in a "presidency" can be called president; otherwise they would not be part of the presidency. So technically speaking any sister in the relief Society presidency could be called "president". Traditionally, however any 1st or 2nd counselor presidency member lower than stake presidency are not normally called president. It depends on how the Bishop or other members in a given ward might refer to them.  Brother and sister always works.

1 hour ago, Freedom said:

Lots of presidents in this organization.  It is a top down structure with the power and authority flowing from the top.  Funny thing is that the term president is not really mentioned in the Bible.  I wonder what Christ and the apostles would think of this top down 1950's North American business structure.

17 minutes ago, sunstoned said:

Lots of presidents in this organization.  It is a top down structure with the power and authority flowing from the top.  Funny thing is that the term president is not really mentioned in the Bible.  I wonder what Christ and the apostles would think of this top down 1950's North American business structure.

Would we prefer to use monarch-style titles instead like previous dispensations seemed to?

10 hours ago, sunstoned said:

If we were able to change to a theocracy we wouldn't need to use such titles; but that won't happen until the millennium. There was of course a form of top down structure to the early church:

" And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists (patriarchs); and some, pastors (Bishops) and teachers.
 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:" (Eph 4: 11-12)

12 hours ago, sunstoned said:

I like how Joseph Smith drew from 1950's North American business structure.

13 hours ago, sunstoned said:

We are a restored gospel, not a biblical gospel. The doctrine of presidency comes from the Doctrine and Covenants. The word president does not appear in the bible because the word did not exist but this does not imply that the office did not exist. 

22 minutes ago, Freedom said:

We are a restored gospel, not a biblical gospel. The doctrine of presidency comes from the Doctrine and Covenants. The word president does not appear in the bible because the word did not exist but this does not imply that the office did not exist. 

Right. After Jesus left Peter, James, and John might be considered the first presidency in the early church, with Peter serving as president.

18 hours ago, sunstoned said:

It's really USA government structure. Which is why we refer to them as Smith-1, Smith-6, Smith-8 and Smith-10.

21 hours ago, Freedom said:

Each Stake of Zion is a mirror of The Church collectively. You have a Presidency (1st Presidency) then 12 High Priests (12 Apostles) etc. Therefore the three each hold the title President. Also Area President and all called President, unless in public where they are all called Elders (that being Senventies). 

6 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

Each Stake of Zion is a mirror of The Church collectively. You have a Presidency (1st Presidency) then 12 High Priests (12 Apostles) etc. Therefore the three each hold the title President. Also Area President and all called President, unless in public where they are all called Elders (that being Senventies). 

Where is this written? why three presidents? Why aren't the counselors in an elders quorum also called presidents? Why do we use the title President with the elders quorum president but not the primary president? In the presidency of the church, each hold keys, but this is not the case with a stake presidency. 

7 hours ago, Freedom said:

Where is this written? why three presidents? Why aren't the counselors in an elders quorum also called presidents? Why do we use the title President with the elders quorum president but not the primary president? In the presidency of the church, each hold keys, but this is not the case with a stake presidency. 

If anywhere in scripture, D&C 20.

15 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

If anywhere in scripture, D&C 20.

This does not answer the question of why all three members of a stake presidency are called presidents, but not the counselors of an elders quorum president for example. You have provided an entire section but no answer to the question.