Gift Of Healing

So on Monday night my father in law was in a serious car accident. He was driving home and hit by a semi truck. When the paramedics arrived at the scene, he wasn't alive but they managed to revive him and get to the hospital. He spent the night having surgery to address head trauma.

Since then he has been up and down. It's been a rough week for the family. He's been in a coma for most of the week healing. And his body has been healing at a remarkable rate. But he still isn't awake, he initiates breathing but still needs help breathing, and we still don't know the full extent of the brain damage.

I'm the only member of the family. My wife wanted me to give him a blessing and then my daughter got sick and we couldn't go see Him yesterday and today he hasn't been reacting well to touch so it didn't feel right.

I've been preparing my mind for I've never had success giving blessings that heal so I'm not sure what I really need to do. I am worthy of a temple recommend so there is nothing stopping me there.

Is there some reason I'm holding back? Is it lack of faith or is there something else telling me I should wait and when the time comes how do I ensure I have the power from the Lord needed to do this?

I think this address by Elder Dallin H. Oaks will be of help to you, Avatar.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/healing-the-sick?lang=eng

I wish you and your family well.

P.S.: Here's a "money quote":

Fortunately, the words spoken in a healing blessing are not essential to its healing effect. If faith is sufficient and if the Lord wills it, the afflicted person will be healed or blessed whether the officiator speaks those words or not. Conversely, if the officiator yields to personal desire or inexperience and gives commands or words of blessing in excess of what the Lord chooses to bestow according to the faith of the individual, those words will not be fulfilled. Consequently, brethren, no elder should ever hesitate to participate in a healing blessing because of fear that he will not know what to say.

Edited by Kenngo1969

So on Monday night my father in law was in a serious car accident. He was driving home and hit by a semi truck. When the paramedics arrived at the scene, he wasn't alive but they managed to revive him and get to the hospital. He spent the night having surgery to address head trauma.

Since then he has been up and down. It's been a rough week for the family. He's been in a coma for most of the week healing. And his body has been healing at a remarkable rate. But he still isn't awake, he initiates breathing but still needs help breathing, and we still don't know the full extent of the brain damage.

I'm the only member of the family. My wife wanted me to give him a blessing and then my daughter got sick and we couldn't go see Him yesterday and today he hasn't been reacting well to touch so it didn't feel right.

I've been preparing my mind for I've never had success giving blessings that heal so I'm not sure what I really need to do. I am worthy of a temple recommend so there is nothing stopping me there.

Is there some reason I'm holding back? Is it lack of faith or is there something else telling me I should wait and when the time comes how do I ensure I have the power from the Lord needed to do this?

Before going to give the blessing pay and prepare yourself to be prompted and listen to those promptings.

God bless you and your family in this your hour of need.

The blessing will need to be approached with a willingness to have the will of the Lord done. Petition Him beforehand to help you humble yourself to accept whatever He wants. Give the blessing being willing only to say what the Spirit prompts you to say and not to make promises based on your own desire.

Aside from that, I have a son who was in a car accident 16 years ago and suffered a traumatic brain injury. We've been through it, including the uncertainty of waiting and not knowing what will happen. If you'd like to talk, message me and we can talk on the phone or via e-mail, whichever suits you best.

May you and your family be carried about in the arms of Christ through this, as we were.

"And the elders of the church, two or more, shall be called, and shall pray for and lay their hands upon them in my name; and if they die they shall die unto me, and if they live they shall live unto me."  (D&C 42: 44)

According to this scripture, giving a blessing, whether they live or die,  is a win/win situation. Sometimes a blessing is more for the benefit of the loved ones of the recipient.  Don't worry about it; have faith and just say whatever comes to your mind. 

Hello Avatar...

I have a very humbling and spiritual experience in that I did receive a healing blessing... but... the person giving the blessing never uttered any words to the effect that I would be healed...

I had suffered for  years from angina pain that got worse over the years until finally I was having attacks 2 - 3 times a week that were so painful that had I not known I would have thought I was having a heart attack. 

My cardiologist did a barrage of tests and scheduled an angiogram to be followed immediately by angioplasty to place a stent in my artery.  Surgery was scheduled for a Tuesday morning... the Sunday prior to that I asked for a priesthood blessing.

The brother giving me the blessing gave a beautiful blessing of hope and comfort... he blessed that the doctors would be able to exercise all their skill... and emphasized that the Lord's will be done. 

On Tuesday I went in and was prepped for the surgery upon completion of the angiogram.  When the test was completed, the surgeon says... Guess what!  Your arteries are fine...  

Surgery was cancelled... still groggy from the test I asked... But what about these past months of attacks, of the years of pain etc etc.   What about all the tests you've done... He looked and me with a shrug of his shoulders and said... I don't know...

I said... Ooohhh, I know... I had a priesthood blessing....

He looked at me and said... Well, it worked...

That was over 5 years ago and I have not had one single pain or attack since...

The point I wanted to make is that the blessing did not promise healing... it placed me in the hands of the Lord and asked that His will be done...

My dear husband was suffering from complications of surgery and was in intensive care for 9 days.  I called in the elders to give him a blessing.  He passed away a couple of days later... I have faith that the Lord's will was done in his case, just as it was in mine...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Brother,

All known scripture teaches that without faith, no one can be healed. Even the Lord Jesus Christ could not heal the faithless. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught (as does D&C) that some have the gift to heal, and others the gift to be healed. In cases where a person is unaware, then the faith of those around him is needed. We are also taught that even the Priesthood and faith cannot frustrate the purposes of God. As the Saviour said, "not my will but Thine be done". Having said all of this...I am so sorry for what has happened, my prayers are with you and your family. It is so hard when such things at anytime, but more so in this season of the year.

God Bless You...

Bill ( Papa) Lee

... The point I wanted to make is that the blessing ... placed me in the hands of the Lord and asked that His will be done...

My dear husband was suffering from complications of surgery and was in intensive care for 9 days.  I called in the elders to give him a blessing.  He passed away a couple of days later... I have faith that the Lord's will was done in his case, just as it was in mine...

GG

Indeed.  More from Elder Oaks, from the same source:

Young men and older men, please take special note of what I will say now. As we exercise the undoubted power of the priesthood of God and as we treasure His promise that He will hear and answer the prayer of faith, we must always remember that faith and the healing power of the priesthood cannot produce a result contrary to the will of Him whose priesthood it is. This principle is taught in the revelation directing that the elders of the Church shall lay their hands upon the sick. The Lord’s promise is that “he that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed” (D&C 42:48; emphasis added). Similarly, in another modern revelation the Lord declares that when one “asketh according to the will of God … it is done even as he asketh” (D&C 46:30). 14

From all of this we learn that even the servants of the Lord, exercising His divine power in a circumstance where there is sufficient faith to be healed, cannot give a priesthood blessing that will cause a person to be healed if that healing is not the will of the Lord.

As children of God, knowing of His great love and His ultimate knowledge of what is best for our eternal welfare, we trust in Him. The first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and faith means trust.

I would add that if someone is given a blessing that he will be healed (or that he will live) and he dies, either way, that blessing is fulfilled.  One way or another, in one realm or place or another, he lives.

Edited by Kenngo1969

Wishing you, your father and family may good things.  You have great faith so I hope for you that God will heal your fear to give the gift of hand held and expression of love not just for an ailing flesh..but the spirit of peace.

Jeanne

so I gave the blessing the other night. My wife was in the too and the nurse wanted to stay for it. The spirit was strong. I don't remember all the specifics but I essentially put him in the Lords hands either to be healed or not.

he was having a number of problems that day including struggling for breath. After the blessing his body calmed. However he still hasn't woken it's nor looking optimistic at this point

it's weird to see. Because his reflexes are still working alright but the most recent MRI shows he may have brain stem damage that will prevent him from ever waking up. So it looks like he is waking up which gives everyone hope and yet he isn't there.

when I was struggling with the blessing I felt like I had the faith to see him healed. I came to the conclusion what I was afraid of was being inspired to pronounce his life over.i just wasn't sure I would emotionally be able to do that.

I still do believe the Lord can heal Him. However I've decided I will be at peace if He doesn't.

anyway thank you everyone.

51 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

so I gave the blessing the other night. My wife was in the too and the nurse wanted to stay for it. The spirit was strong. I don't remember all the specifics but I essentially put him in the Lords hands either to be healed or not.

he was having a number of problems that day including struggling for breath. After the blessing his body calmed. However he still hasn't woken it's nor looking optimistic at this point

it's weird to see. Because his reflexes are still working alright but the most recent MRI shows he may have brain stem damage that will prevent him from ever waking up. So it looks like he is waking up which gives everyone hope and yet he isn't there.

when I was struggling with the blessing I felt like I had the faith to see him healed. I came to the conclusion what I was afraid of was being inspired to pronounce his life over.i just wasn't sure I would emotionally be able to do that.

I still do believe the Lord can heal Him. However I've decided I will be at peace if He doesn't.

anyway thank you everyone.

May you be blessed with peace and comfort.

Update

last night my father in law passed away. After much consultation with doctors it became clear that he would not be recovering enough to breath without the ventilator. The family concluded it was time to put him on comfort care.

the family was with him from the moment the ventilator was removed. We sang him Christmas carols and he passed within two hours. The spirit was present.

I've never been present when someone passed away before. I understand what dying to the Lord is better now.

thank you all for your prayers and advice

Condolences to you and yours on the loss, Avatar.

Don't forget Doctrine & Covenants 42:45-46:

45 Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shaltweep for the loss of them that die, and more especially for those that have not hope of a glorious resurrection.

46 And it shall come to pass that those that die in me shall nottaste of death, for it shall be sweet unto them;

On 12/11/2015 at 1:07 AM, Stargazer said:

May the Spirit give you comfort, and may your memories be sweet!

My brother, Stargazer, knows whereof he speaks. :)