bluebell Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 My husband and i have lived in North Layton for two years now and we have not been able to find any Chinese restaurants that we really like (we've tried a LOT). We've tried places in Ogden, Layton, Bountiful, Centerville, Roy, SLC, Murry, and Sandy-a couple have been plain old gross while the rest were just ho-hum so-so kind of places. Maybe we're being too picky (we left behind a place we loved in Billings Montana) but i haven't given up hope yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Places where the ambiance is not 'cafeteria decor,' where the tabletops aren't sticky, and where the food is yummy and you don't have to worry if the cook's definition of 'chicken' is the same as yours? We have found Indian, Thai, Greek, and Mexican places that we love so this is the one last ethnic food place we are still searching for. Please help!
jkwilliams Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 I asked my daughter, and she says she likes "Mandarin," which I think is on 9th east. I don't know. I never found a decent Chinese place in Provo, where we lived, and we didn't get to SLC very often.
bluebell Posted November 2, 2015 Author Posted November 2, 2015 I think it's so weird how hard it is to find a good Chinese place. Finding other good ethnic foods doesn't ever seem to be as difficult as finding Chinese! Even going to places where everyone speaks Chinese and hardly any english is no guarantee.
Kenngo1969 Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 Charlie Chow's Dragon Grill, 255 East 400 South, Salt Lake City UT 84111, (801) 328-3663. Best Chinese food in the state, IMHO. 1
bluebell Posted November 2, 2015 Author Posted November 2, 2015 Charlie Chow's Dragon Grill, 255 East 400 South, Salt Lake City UT 84111, (801) 328-3663. Best Chinese food in the state, IMHO. Thank you! We will definitely give it a try and then report back.
Jeanne Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 It is not fancy,,,but my family and I have had many a feast and party at the Kowloon. Used to be on 33rd South in SLC..I don't know if it is still there.Suk Lok Yuk in Tooele is good too..if you want to travel. 1
Kenngo1969 Posted November 3, 2015 Posted November 3, 2015 If you ever find yourself in Tooele (and it pains me to say this, because my dad is good friends with Sun Lok Yuen's owners), the best Chinese food there IMO is Hunan Village, 229 N. Main St., 435-843-8379.
bluebell Posted November 3, 2015 Author Posted November 3, 2015 If you ever find yourself in Tooele (and it pains me to say this, because my dad is good friends with Sun Lok Yuen's owners), the best Chinese food there IMO is Hunan Village, 229 N. Main St., 435-843-8379. We do end up in Toole sometimes so i will remember that!
Tacenda Posted November 3, 2015 Posted November 3, 2015 Mandarin in Bountiful use to be my favorite Chinese restaurant. But it's not as good...maybe it's the different cooks. I think I recall that even Stephen Spielberg went there several years ago. There use to be a long waiting time, but I'm sure it depends on when you go. Ambience is good, and usually the service too. But the last two times it wasn't. My husband and I were put right next to the noisy kitchen. And the time before that the waitress was terrible. http://mandarinutah.com/ 1
bluebell Posted November 3, 2015 Author Posted November 3, 2015 Mandarin in Bountiful use to be my favorite Chinese restaurant. But it's not as good...maybe it's the different cooks. I think I recall that even Stephen Spielberg went there several years ago. There use to be a long waiting time, but I'm sure it depends on when you go. Ambience is good, and usually the service too. But the last two times it wasn't. My husband and I were put right next to the noisy kitchen. And the time before that the waitress was terrible.http://mandarinutah.com/ That's one that we've actually tried. I had really high hopes for it because it did come well recommended on yelp. It does have really nice ambiance, which i do appreciate, but the food wasn't anything special. What probably sealed the deal for my husband though was that rice did not come with your meal and you had to pay extra for it (plus, the waiter asked us what kind of rice we wanted, and recommended a really odd kind i had never heard of before, all without letting us know that each kind of rice had it's own price and that some kinds were almost more than our meal!) He just couldn't get over a Chinese restaurant (that already has fairly high prices) that doesn't give you rice unless you pay extra.
Tacenda Posted November 3, 2015 Posted November 3, 2015 (edited) When you find a good one Bluebell, remember to post. I'm trying to find one also. Edited November 3, 2015 by Tacenda 1
Calm Posted November 3, 2015 Posted November 3, 2015 (edited) When we went up to Canada we couldn't find a good south of the (US) border restaurant---Taco Bell does not count---and when we came back down, we found there were no good Chinese places here. The problem of figuring out that Mexican really means American/English heritage with tortillas and beans and Chinese means American/EH with bean sprouts and rice. It becomes bearable when I remember one can't get American "home cooked" food at American restaurants, so why should I be able to get what our Chinese and Korean friends cooked for us here? So now I just go for taste and not worry about tasting like anything....which is why at the moment my favorite is California Pizza Kitchens because there are two pizzas there I adore.My biggest problem with Chinese restaurants here is that the flavours I like are all major meat, minimal vegetables (I like very light touches of soy sauce, don't like most teriyaki for example). I wish they would serve a lightly stirfried just barely cooked vegetable dish as a side like rice without seasoning beyond salt so you could mix it with any dish you like.Plus you can't get Ginger Beef at all...because it turns out it was invented in Calgary and Chinese people down here have never heard about it. Very delicous, you can find the recipe online...we do a light version avoiding the frying (more because it trashes the kitchen than for health reasons, lol) and just using the seasonings which is actually quite tasty once you get through the fried food withdrawal. Edited November 3, 2015 by Calm
Kenngo1969 Posted November 3, 2015 Posted November 3, 2015 (edited) We do end up in Toole sometimes so i will remember that!Perhaps we should plan our visits so they coincide! I would love to meet you and your family! P.S.: Not to derail the thread, but you did mention Thai food. Thai House in Tooele, 279 N. Main Street, (435) 882-7579, is wonderful. And, although it's been awhile since I've eaten there, I've only been there once, and I can't remember what I had, I also liked Thaifoon Taste of Asia at the Gateway in Salt Lake. Edited November 3, 2015 by Kenngo1969
Bobbieaware Posted November 3, 2015 Posted November 3, 2015 My husband and i have lived in North Layton for two years now and we have not been able to find any Chinese restaurants that we really like (we've tried a LOT). We've tried places in Ogden, Layton, Bountiful, Centerville, Roy, SLC, Murry, and Sandy-a couple have been plain old gross while the rest were just ho-hum so-so kind of places. Maybe we're being too picky (we left behind a place we loved in Billings Montana) but i haven't given up hope yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Places where the ambiance is not 'cafeteria decor,' where the tabletops aren't sticky, and where the food is yummy and you don't have to worry if the cook's definition of 'chicken' is the same as yours? We have found Indian, Thai, Greek, and Mexican places that we love so this is the one last ethnic food place we are still searching for. Please help! If you're brave enough to try a couple of places that are upfront about the fact that their definition of "chicken" is broader than most, try Cat Chow Palace in Orem or Canine Dynasty in Provo. 1
Tacenda Posted November 3, 2015 Posted November 3, 2015 If you're brave enough to try a couple of places that are upfront about the fact that their definition of "chicken" is broader than most, try Cat Chow Palace in Orem or Canine Dynasty in Provo. 1
juliann Posted November 4, 2015 Posted November 4, 2015 I do not like sticky-saucy American Chinese. If a place doesn't have a menu with Chinese items translated in English I wouldn't try. I look for the stuff that I ate in China that American versions don't have...like match stick cut potatoes with chilies. Around here, small but authentic places pop up around Asian markets. 2
hagoth7 Posted November 4, 2015 Posted November 4, 2015 We've tried Chinese in several Utah spots over the last 18 years.Our favorite: Dim Sum House. State Street.http://www.yelp.com/biz/dim-sum-house-salt-lake-city Their General Tso's is the best we've tried anywhere, as is everything else we've ordered there. While there, for a vegetable side, I very highly recommend the green bean plate (the version with the black bean sauce). As one recent review said:"For Salt Lake City, this was an excellent place for dim sum, and Chinese in general. The value was right as well. We had a ton of food, plenty of leftovers for around $30. One of the biggest surprises was the General Tso's chicken, which wasn't only very tasty, but the crispiness of the crust was just right, and even stayed when we broke it out the next day for the leftovers. We will definitely go back." 1
bluebell Posted November 4, 2015 Author Posted November 4, 2015 We've tried Chinese in several Utah spots over the last 18 years.Our favorite: Dim Sum House. State Street.http://www.yelp.com/biz/dim-sum-house-salt-lake-city Their General Tso's is the best we've tried anywhere, as is everything else we've ordered there. While there, for a vegetable side, I very highly recommend the green bean plate (the version with the black bean sauce). As one recent review said:"For Salt Lake City, this was an excellent place for dim sum, and Chinese in general. The value was right as well. We had a ton of food, plenty of leftovers for around $30. One of the biggest surprises was the General Tso's chicken, which wasn't only very tasty, but the crispiness of the crust was just right, and even stayed when we broke it out the next day for the leftovers. We will definitely go back." We've eaten there! It had the best wonton soup that i've ever had anywhere. I would go back just for the soup and get a whole bowl instead of a cup. Unfortunately, i ordered the lemon chicken and it was not good. Edible, but nothing to be excited about. If we ever go back though i will definitely trying the general tso's. I usually like that dish.
Recommended Posts