Seriously No Politics ×

Has Anyone Ever Thought This?

I go through this type of thinking all the time:

I've been given a lot. Too much. It's not fair, really. I'm just me and somehow I was "sent to earth" at a time and place that seems easiest. I'm not stuck in a jungle where it's required I kill and eat someone as a rite of passage. I'm not stuck in a time and place where I'm starving on a Pacific Island, after many of the resources to sustain life have been used up. I'm not subject to a despotic ruler. I didn't come at a time and place where my race or religion caused me to be persecuted (I mean the real kind of persecuted not the kind that Mormons complain about) throughout my life. Hell I was barely even teased about anything growing up.

Since that is so, I realize I deserve nothing. I get a bit consumed with guilt. How am I considered a part of the Kingdom of God on earth when billions of people were provided less than me? Most of me wants to step aside and jump on board with the crew of the Terrestrial or Telestial people (given the general LDS attitude and understanding these two groups combined will be much larger than the exalted). If I could do that and put a person of my choosing into the Celestial world for eternity, in my place, I'd do it. I don't want an eternity of feeling exalted, if so many are not given as much. I'd rather run with the lesser crowd.

" If I could do that and put a person of my choosing into the Celestial world for eternity"

Since everyone will get a full opportunity to choose, you need not fear that someone who wants to be there won't be there.

Put your desire to work by helping others come to a knowledge of the blessings of God sooner. Isn't that even better than just wishing and thinking of oneself as somehow less than others? Would your Father, Mother, Brother and rest of the Family want you to think that of yourself?

God gave you so much and you want to deny him the joy of your company forever? :sad:

Not really. I'm all for having company with Him forever. I'd do it in a second and if given the chance. But, I fear I'm no more than any who ends up in Terrestrial. if so, why let myself feel exalted? Seems silly.

Not really. I'm all for having company with Him forever. I'd do it in a second and if given the chance. But, I fear I'm no more than any who ends up in Terrestrial. if so, why let myself feel exalted? Seems silly.

You are no more then them and that is okay. That is what the atonement is all about.

" If I could do that and put a person of my choosing into the Celestial world for eternity"

Since everyone will get a full opportunity to choose, you need not fear that someone who wants to be there won't be there.

That seems to be the exact opposite of scriptural messages--which seem to suggest we need to fear we aren't going to make it, even after we try real hard in our lives.

Put your desire to work by helping others come to a knowledge of the blessings of God sooner.

you think I'm not or something? my whole purpose these days, it feels like, is to talk to people in hopes we each come to a better understanding of life. The complexity in it get's tough though. I only touch the smallest of percentages. The Church itself is so small and uninfluential it makes ya wonder what's the point?

Isn't that even better than just wishing and thinking of oneself as somehow less than others? Would your Father, Mother, Brother and rest of the Family want you to think that of yourself?

I don't see that there's a dichotomy as you've defined it. One can both teach preach, serve, aid, as much as one can and still feel less than others.

Yes , many of us have been given much and much is expected. We are so screwed !.

My only rationalization of the inequities of life is the view that no matter how long or short our life is or how glorious or debased it is, even 100 years is but a blink of eternity. If we assume that eternity only consists of 1 million years and our life is 80 years then the fraction that we are in mortality is the equivalent of just under an hour of a mortal 80 year experience. Rough but doable.

Yes , many of us have been given much and much is expected. We are so screwed !.

My only rationalization of the inequities of life is the view that no matter how long or short our life is or how glorious or debased it is, even 100 years is but a blink of eternity. If we assume that eternity only consists of 1 million years and our life is 80 years then the fraction that we are in mortality is the equivalent of just under an hour of a mortal 80 year experience. Rough but doable.

I find such a thought interesting as well, and sometimes helpful. Perhaps it's a bit mistaken for us to put so much stock into our mortal life, but we do get the impression that our eternity rests on what we do here. Why would our mortal time here matter to eternity? What does mortality mean to he who lives till 6 and is maliciously murdered? Or to babies who die before they are one?

It goes both ways. Those who have less aren't expected to do as much as those who do.  But remember that not all blessings or struggles are visible.  We never know exactly the perspective of another and can hardly be expected to always understand our own, even.

Let's do what we can.

I guess this falls under the category of the following request from Jesus:

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

So perhaps it's not as easy as you think if those of us who have been given so much fail to share it or help others obtain it.

Boyd K. Packer:

"If we do not share it, we may lose it. That is one of the requirements if we are to keep it. Therefore, missionary work is not casual; it is very determined."   

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1974/10/where-much-is-given-much-is-required?lang=eng

Possibly but no sense of "deserving it" separates the exalted and non-exalted.

You dirty Calvinist hiding under the mask of a Mormon. (;

If you or I are no more deserving of he who is granted a lesser salvation, then the arbitrariness is disturbing. I wouldn't want part in it.

It goes both ways. Those who have less aren't expected to do as much as those who do.  But remember that not all blessings or struggles are visible.  We never know exactly the perspective of another and can hardly be expected to always understand our own, even.

Let's do what we can.

Sure but it doesn't stop my heart from feeling broken that so many will be lost. I deserve to be as lost.

I guess this falls under the category of the following request from Jesus:

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

So perhaps it's not as easy as you think if those of us who have been given so much fail to share it or help others obtain it.

Boyd K. Packer:

"If we do not share it, we may lose it. That is one of the requirements if we are to keep it. Therefore, missionary work is not casual; it is very determined."   

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1974/10/where-much-is-given-much-is-required?lang=eng

I don't think mowing my neighbors lawn, cleaning out rain gutters, serving at the soup kitchen, giving to charity, and the like quite makes up for the pain and suffering that people go through.

JAHS already covered my thoughts pretty well. I've thought many times about why I've been given so much, and the answer I've gotten is that it's not because I deserve it. It's because God expects me to use my talents and resources to bless and help those that need help. And I believe I'll be accountable to God if I waste what I've been given on self indulgence.

JAHS already covered my thoughts pretty well. I've thought many times about why I've been given so much, and the answer I've gotten is that it's not because I deserve it. It's because God expects me to use my talents and resources to bless and help those that need help. And I believe I'll be accountable to God if I waste what I've been given on self indulgence.

We all self-indulge, atleast to some extent. maybe that suggests none of us will be exalted and this discussion is all a waste as a result. We'll all be together in the lesser worlds.

"you think I'm not or something"

I am just saying take the energy and resources you are expending on this fear and transfer it to your efforts to help others to make that even stronger.

As a professional worrier, I know when such self dismissive thoughts end up creating the very obstacles one is fearing. Why not stop caring about the exact location of one's eternal destination and just envelope oneself in the excitement of getting there with others that you love or will come to love.

And it isn't as if there is limited space in the CK for only so many, you if you choose to be exalted will only be taking your own place, not anyone else's.

I don't think mowing my neighbors lawn, cleaning out rain gutters, serving at the soup kitchen, giving to charity, and the like quite makes up for the pain and suffering that people go through.

Did I say that?  Of course those things don't make up for that, but in the end helping them obtain eternl life will.