Getting Temple Work Done Online

I just want to add a name to the Family Search web data base so I can get her Temple work done . She is not in my family tree, I have permission to do her work.  A long time ago I had no problem doing this but it seems they have changed everything. I would appreciate any help I can get as I have been impressed upon by the Holy Spirit to get this work done ASAP. Thanks!

Rod, take the name, information, and approval letter of the family and talk to your ward genealogy library leader.  I expect they will be able to assist you.  You may also call the temple and talk to a member of the office staff, who would be glad to assist you.

Things have changed and the Church is making an effort that each member focus on the work for their family alone.  This prevents any overzealous members who begin doing work for famous people unrelated to them and/or those who have recently died and not related. 

I get the reasoning but what about people who have no family member in the Church? We have no children but an extended adoptive family. People who we consider family even though they are no relation. Some were actually homeless that we took in and gave a trade to as well as a spot in our home and lives.

Should I just drive to a temple with the info? I don't have  TR.

You can not submit work for someone you are not related to.  I don't know if taking it to the temple would help.  Your ward family history consultant should be able to help you.

You can do work for extended family -- a distant cousin, which can be a very broad group of individuals.  Basically this could include anyone who has a surname in your family tree within the same general location and time period.  It is unnecessary to directly connect them to your line.

Remember that your family tree is your sealing line.  So in an adoption situation, you follow the adoption line.  In many cases the biological father is unknown.

We have been encouraged to do our distant cousins.  

If truly unrelated, then you can put the name into the database, but cannot request temple ordinances for them.  Someday a relative will find the name and then request the ordinances and they will be very grateful for your work.

But in any case, I understand there are literally tens of millions of names submitted but the temple work has not yet been done. 

Edited by cdowis

You can do work for extended family -- a distant cousin, which can be a very broad group of individuals. Basically this could include anyone who has a surname in your family tree within the same general location and time period. It is unnecessary to directly connect them to your line.

Remember that your family tree is your sealing line. So in an adoption situation, you follow the adoption line. In many cases the biological father is unknown.

We have been encouraged to do our distant cousins.

If truly unrelated, then you can put the name into the database, but cannot request temple ordinances for them. Someday a relative will find the name and then request the ordinances and they will be very grateful for your work.

But in any case, I understand there are literally tens of millions of names submitted but the temple work has not yet been done.

Granted my recommendation expired last November, but I was doing temple work for people I wasn't related to all the years leading up to. And my MIL submitted names all the time from city records she'd find in places like England. Has something changed, or did I read you wrong?

Granted my recommendation expired last November, but I was doing temple work for people I wasn't related to all the years leading up to. And my MIL submitted names all the time from city records she'd find in places like England. Has something changed, or did I read you wrong?

It has to do with personally doing work for the dead.  If you personally are seeking to do the work for a specific individual or group you must now be related directly to them.  I say this with the qualification that it has always been the direction, but was not strictly enforced.  Nowadays, with the incessant complaining by the Jewish community and others, the Church is striving to enforce that work is done for one's relatives.

On the other hand, there remains a strong effort to record the names and genealogies of all that have lived.  For those individuals that have been dead over 100 years the name is released to the temple rolls for vicarious work to be completed.

Well I guess I was given an impossible job by the Holy Spirit. We'll see.

All good things come those who wait. On the other hand, there is sometimes a " back door " approach. If you research the person's lineage you may find a relative that could submit the name legitimately .

Yes things have changed see post 7 above.  .I think the names your MIL was getting from England were extended family or she was working in the name extraction program.

Edited by ERayR

All good things come those who wait. On the other hand, there is sometimes a " back door " approach. If you research the person's lineage you may find a relative that could submit the name legitimately .

Or get permission to do it .

Yes things have changed see post 7 above. .I think the names your MIL was getting from England were extended family or she was working in the name extraction program.

She was heavily involved with the Extraction program. Now is it still where you get a name, but they aren't always related to you, right before you do the endowment? In fact sometimes I'd get only a first or last name, and their birthdate sometimes would be as early as the 1600's, if memory serves. I just figured they knew who they were, if they truly wanted their work done.

She was heavily involved with the Extraction program. Now is it still where you get a name, but they aren't always related to you, right before you do the endowment? In fact sometimes I'd get only a first or last name, and their birthdate sometimes would be as early as the 1600's, if memory serves. I just figured they knew who they were, if they truly wanted their work done.

The names you get for vicarious work come from extraction efforts and those names released to the temple by members that have done a lot of genealogy work.  My tree currently has over 16,000 names; I could not begin to get all of the work done if I tried myself.  Fortunately, you can release the names to the temple and they will get the work done.

As a genealogist, carelessly incomplete information drives me nuts.  One of my pet peeves is seeing a name and a date without a location.  Put the silly location on the work before turning it in.  For example, they lived in Florida and died in Florida.  If you don't know the city or county they lived in, put the state.  Alas, that is my little soap box for today.  

Or get permission to do it .

It appears he was already given permission from the appropriate relative. I thought people could ask for others to do the work, such as having members of one's ward when one can't attend oneself.

It appears he was already given permission from the appropriate relative. I thought people could ask for others to do the work, such as having members of one's ward when one can't attend oneself.

You can others to do the work for you, but the relative must apply to have the work done.  I have never been in a situation where a authorization from an unrelated person has been given.  It would seem with written authorization that it could be done, I am just unfamiliar with the exact process. 

Being led to get the work done is not an invitation to ignore rules.  I suspect that it is going through the hoops that God's will is accomplished.  You never know the whole plan and all the objectives that God is accomplishing.  We move forward one step at a time and allow him to accomplish his will through our meager efforts. 

You can enter anyone's name into the FamilyTree database,  but the rules apply when you request to do ordinances for that individual.

The rules have indeed changed == you can't just do an extraction, such as city records for *ordinance* work, as was common in the past, but, again, you can put the names into the database for others to reference them.

The extraction program is taking raw records and extracting names for future temple work.  It is not where one goes to get names to take to the temple.

That is my understanding.  We have members of our ward who are heavily into research and have much temple work to do who have other ward members take their families names and do the work..

You can enter anyone's name into the FamilyTree database,  but the rules apply when you request to do ordinances for that individual.

The rules have indeed changed == you can't just do an extraction, such as city records for *ordinance* work, as was common in the past, but, again, you can put the names into the database for others to reference them.

Yes, this is what I need to figure out how to do, enter names to the data base. I used to be able to do it with some software on a now defunct laptop. The software has changed and the Church data base has changed. Am I just missing a link on the Family Tree website? Or do I need to get some software? My old one let me look up the death info on a person from the SS site and then the Family tree would extract the converted info.

I just want to add a name to the Family Search web data base so I can get her Temple work done . She is not in my family tree, I have permission to do her work.  A long time ago I had no problem doing this but it seems they have changed everything. I would appreciate any help I can get as I have been impressed upon by the Holy Spirit to get this work done ASAP. Thanks!

Yes, this is what I need to figure out how to do, enter names to the data base. I used to be able to do it with some software on a now defunct laptop. The software has changed and the Church data base has changed. Am I just missing a link on the Family Tree website? Or do I need to get some software? My old one let me look up the death info on a person from the SS site and then the Family tree would extract the converted info.

Hello Rod...

I don't think this is going to accomplish what your goal is, i.e., to get her temple work done ASAP as you state in your OP.  If you just enter the name in the data base, there's no guarantee anyone will be doing work on their own line that will include her, and therefore they would request the ordinances. 

If you have a letter of permission, that would be the best thing is to work with your ward FH rep so you could go ahead and submit her name requesting actual ordinances instead of just entering her in the  data base.  Good luck.

GG