How Close Are Matt Stone And Trey Parker's Portrayal Of The Lds Church, Such As Doctrine And Life As Member Close To How It Really Is?

Truth 101

For those of you who don't know, Matt Stone and Trey Parker wrote the broadway musical, "The Book of Mormon Story", I've not seen it yet but I want to, it won 9 Tony Awards and a Grammy Award plus a bunch of others. If anybody here has seen it, how close is it to real life, what is your opinion on it? They also made the South Park episode "All About Mormons". That I have seen. If you have seen that, do you think that the story about the BOM told in the episode is close to how it really happened? What is your opinion of it?

Also: The staff of the BOM musical was a bit concerned the church would have a negative response, but Matt and Trey were quoted as saying, "Naw, they'll be cool about it, we have faith in them". And the church actually did have a positive response, their main response was, "The Book of Mormon Musical may entertain one for an evening, but reading the Book of Mormon in scripture will bring you closer to God"

Edited by Truth 101

I did read it, and it was the most boring book I ever read, but had it's parts, albeit rarely. Ever read the book series The Great and Terrible by Christ Stewart? I love that series, especially the prologue.

I've read maybe 70 percent of the New Testament, also boring. And not too much of the Old Testament, maybe like ten percent of it but I know all the well known stories and lessons from it from sunday school and my one year of seminary. But ya read the BOM in full. It's all boring TBH. I don't really necessarily believe in the New or Old Testament, except the lessons taught. There is much logic in what both books have to teach, and even in the BOM, but the BOM seems like such a... idk the word.... like a rehash of the Bible. But I think that the bible has actual historical significance also, such as being the first book ever mass produced. The BOM is the product of some dude trying to get rich off of people less intelligent than him and needed an excuse to have multiple wives, in my opinion.

Edited by Truth 101

I did read it, and it was the most boring book I ever read, but had it's parts, albeit rarely. Ever read the book series The Great and Terrible by Christ Stewart? I love that series, especially the prologue.

I've read maybe 70 percent of the New Testament, also boring. And not too much of the Old Testament, maybe like ten percent of it but I know all the well known stories and lessons from it from sunday school and my one year of seminary. But ya read the BOM in full. It's all boring TBH. I don't really necessarily believe in the New or Old Testament, except the lessons taught. There is much logic in what both books have to teach, and even in the BOM, but the BOM seems like such a... idk the word.... like a rehash of the Bible. But I think that the bible has actual historical significance also, such as being the first book ever mass produced. The BOM is the product of some dude trying to get rich off of people less intelligent than him and needed an excuse to have multiple wives, in my opinion.

I do not want to seem offensive, but you seem to have a very tenuous grasp of LDS doctrine. The Book of Mormon is hardly the linch pin for anyone seeking justification for plural marriage as the practice was banned among the Nephites. Iy would really help you in your search for the truth to read the material you are berating more thoroughly and understand its contents. It does not seem that you are really seeking an honest dialog here but are using this as a forum to air some pet peeves.

Glenn

The BOM is the product of some dude trying to get rich off of people less intelligent than him and needed an excuse to have multiple wives, in my opinion.

The book of mormon did not give anyone an excuse to have more wives. Just the opposite. You will need to explain just how this dude wrote it? Where did he buy the paper? Where did he buy the feathered pens? And just  where did he write it? And how did he get 11 witnesses to give their testimony about seeing or touching the plates. And if he did have his head in the hat, how did he memorize the book to read it out loud?

I have found the OT to be written rather clumsily. But on the other hand, the book of mormon has the same sort of sentence structure. I was quite amazed about that.

Some LDS reviews here:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700147768/LDS-scholar-Richard-Lyman-Bushman-talks-Mormon-musical.html?pg=all

For my part, I've never found South Park to be of any interest or appeal. Monty Python, Muppets, Blackadder, Warner Brothers Golden Age animation, Big Bang Theory, IT Crowd, Fawlty Towers, Jeeves and Wooster, etc., yes. But the Book of Mormon Musical simply has no appeal whatsoever.

FWIW

Kevin Christensen

Pittsburgh, PA

Perhaps, it is because you haven't read the Bible and are relying on anti-Mormon sources that you have come to that conclusion.

As someone who has read it multiple times and has read the Bible... I can assure you it is not just some retelling of the Bible. And it is by no means more boring then the Bible.

Edited by BookofMormonLuvr

I believe Mormonnewb, a poster on here, has seen it.  If i remember right, he liked it.

Also, the only time the BOM speaks about polygamy, it forbids it.  You can believe what you want about it and Joseph Smith, but there is no valid way to claim that the BOM was created to give him justification to marry multiple women.

:)

Edited by bluebell

Truth 101

"The BOM is the product of some dude trying to get rich off of people less intelligent than him and needed an excuse to have multiple wives, in my opinion".

Your are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts. The Church has never made much money off its Book of Mormon, and for generations now has just given it away. JS never personally got rich off of his religion, and the Mormons were driven from state to state until they left the USA entirely for a place no one else wanted. Wives cost money. If JS had said to have as many lovers you want the world would have beaten a path to his door in praise.  You conveniently forget or never knew that the Book of Mormon actually forbids polygamy.

I have seen the south park episode all about the Mormons. It is mostly historically accurate with a few subtle errors. As far as the family life of Mormons it depicts, I would say its an overly simplistic yet generous portrayal made by outsiders intrigued yet confused at Mormon culture. I have watched an interview with Trey and Matt about Mormons and that seems to be exactly what they are.

All I have to say is that you are bored way too easily.  

Does it bore you that Christ suffered for all who have faith in Him and do His will, and if you take that seriously that He will raise you up at the last day?  Some people are bored by that, too.

Edited by Stargazer

The Book of Mormon contains moving stories, descriptions of the rise and fall of two great civilizations, political intrigue, corruption, war, and powerful discussions on human nature. How is any of that boring? That's exciting stuff.

The Book of Mormon contains moving stories, descriptions of the rise and fall of two great civilizations, political intrigue, corruption, war, and powerful discussions on human nature. How is any of that boring? That's exciting stuff.

Not really. As literature the Book of Mormon leaves much to be desired. It starts out with Nephi spoiling the whole story by giving away the whole plot in the first few chapters.

I find the Book of Mormon difficult to read. While there is some discomfort it is also very disquieting. It is God basically saying that He is not happy with us.

I have seen both the Book of Mormon musical and the South Park episode.

I attended the musical with my TBM mom (I am ex-mormon) and both of us loved it. Though the musical takes some shots at the LDS church, it is more about the comical episodes that occur when one is blinded by belief, and not just LDS belief, but blind belief in anything really (whether it be religion, atheism, etc.). Like the South Park episode, it leaves one with the feeling that however "weird" the faith may seem to outsiders, it makes it's believers happy, motivates them to do good, and thus there is no harm.

I read the BoM three seperate times while I was in the church, and though rather dry, I did not think it any more boring than the Bible.

As far as the truths contained in the South Park episode, when it comes to the translation method for the BoM, the South Park episode was much closer to the truth than what I was actually taught by the church itself.