Seriously No Politics ×

Do You Have Homeless In Utah?

Yes, there is. In salt lake county most homelessness is centered South and west of downtown. You often find homeless men camped in the wooded areas surrounding the Jordan river, as well as other out of the way urban areas. Pioneer park used to be a center for homelessnes, as well as the heroin trade, but in recent years the police have really cleaned it up. There are still shelters and methadone clinics in the area, so the homless are still very much around, but the park is clean. Panhandlers can be found all over the Valley, from the gates of Temple Square to nearly every Interstate offramp. There are panhandlers on every busy corner in my neighborhood. Also, riding the TRAX system during non commuter hours (esspecially when its cold) is a great way to meet homeless folks. I once met a man with a long white beard, a psychedelic robe and hood, and a huge clock around his neck who introduced himself as Father Time :)

Edited by Coreyb

Yes, there are plenty of homeless, especially in the young adult categories.   But there are government and private programs to address the issues.  And in SLC they've address the low income housing situation some which helps a lot.   In SLC church members are sometimes called to serve as service missionaries or have callings to help the social programs.  That may be true in other parts of Utah too.   I'm told by a nephew that there are a lot of teens that nightly sleep near a church in downtown Provo (not an lds church, but a pastor who has told police not to run them off).

Wasn't there an article that Utah is starting a new program of providing housing for the homeless as a practical and cheaper route than whatever they were doing previously?

Has that started up?

Wasn't there an article that Utah is starting a new program of providing housing for the homeless as a practical and cheaper route than whatever they were doing previously?

Has that started up?

You might be thinking of this article--more or less confirmed here.

"This trend makes Utah’s accomplishment even more noteworthy. In eight years, Utah has quietly reduced homelessness by 78 percent, and is on track to end homelessness by 2015."

Funny you should say that. In all the 3rd world countries I've been in I have seen maybe 2 homeless people. Why should it be of course here in the USA?

I lived in Germany three years, traveled to seven other counties and saw them...the USA and Europe are not the Church and Zion has not yet been realized, when it is there will be no poor. Most 3rd world countries have people living (the poor) in tin huts, with open waste ditches. Homeless has many meanings.

There was a significant number of homeless in Russia that I saw.  Don't know if it was from choice (they could get more money begging on the street than living in government housing) or not.