Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Women Buys All The Indecent T-Shirts In Orem Store Mall.


Recommended Posts

Posted

The fashion today for men's shorts is pretty much to the knee. If the dress code is that shorts have to be finger tip length, there would generally be no need to have boys measure their shorts.

I guess if they have a lot of boys wearing short shorts then equal enforcement could be an issue for the school.

Maybe we'll get more info in the coming days.

Posted

We just got a reminder from our school this morning by email that as the weather warms up, the dress code still applies and there should be no bare shoulders.  Surprised me because we live in a very liberal area!

Posted

The fashion today for men's shorts is pretty much to the knee. If the dress code is that shorts have to be finger tip length, there would generally be no need to have boys measure their shorts.

I guess if they have a lot of boys wearing short shorts then equal enforcement could be an issue for the school.

Maybe we'll get more info in the coming days.

Yeah, it seems kind of silly to have boys stand up and do the measurement thing but I think if one is going to do it for girls it should still be done for boys even if not needed just on principle. Plus I think a lot of schools have don't show underwear rules that could be enforced in the same way for boys...have them stand up to be tested for the violations common to them. Given today's fashions and the variety available, I find it hard to believe there are no possible appropriate rules one could find for boys for a dress code whether it is about encouraging modesty or avoiding violence through removing gang stuff.
Posted

Yeah, it seems kind of silly to have boys stand up and do the measurement thing but I think if one is going to do it for girls it should still be done for boys even if not needed just on principle. Plus I think a lot of schools have don't show underwear rules that could be enforced in the same way for boys...have them stand up to be tested for the violations common to them. Given today's fashions and the variety available, I find it hard to believe there are no possible appropriate rules one could find for boys for a dress code whether it is about encouraging modesty or avoiding violence through removing gang stuff.

 

If they are asking every girl who wears shorts to school to stand up and measure every day, then i agree that they would need to ask all the boys as well.

 

If they are only asking those people who look like their shorts might not meet the standard, and only on the days where their is a question, then i'm not sure there is any way to make it more equal for both sexes (again, given the typical men's fashion for shorts).

 

They could definitely make sure that the boys were following the rules in other ways though.  Like you said, if droopy pants are a problem then they need to make sure they are handling that.

 

On the topic in general, my biggest issue with the girl is that she is equating having to follow the dress code to 'body shaming' and 'sexism'.  Her platform seems to be 'stop body shaming girls-it's hot out'.  

 

Yeah, that sounds like the reasoning skills of a teenager. :)

 

 I don't agree with those schools who focus more on what girls where than guys (suggesting that modesty is only for important for women, for example) but in this case, it really seems to just be about her getting caught violating the dress code and not liking that.

Posted (edited)

Considering how short shorts has your skin sticking to clammy plastic chairs, in hot weather it might be more comfortable to wear fully covered lightweight clothing (I have a pair of cotton gauze pants for just that time of year myself). Skin sticking to skin isn't all that great either imo. Tight clothing..,which short shorts usually are...tends to be hotter as well. If the claim is based purely on comfort, I must disagree.

Edited by calmoriah
Posted

Considering how short shorts has your skin sticking to clammy plastic chairs, in hot weather it might be more comfortable to wear fully covered lightweight clothing (I have a pair of cotton gauze pants for just that time of year myself). Skin sticking to skin isn't all that great either imo. Tight clothing..,which short shorts usually are...tends to be hotter as well. If the claim is based purely on comfort, I must disagree.

 

After getting in trouble for the shorts, she put up papers all around the school which said-

 

"Don’t humiliate her because she is wearing shorts. It’s hot outside. Instead of shaming girls for their bodies, teach boys that girls are not sexual objects.”

 

I think this is just an example of a typical teen who was upset.  Her arguments don't make a lot of sense but they sound good and some of it's true.  

 

Whether or not it's hot outside is obviously besides the point of the dress code.  If a girl choses to wear shorts that are too short, getting called on that isn't equal to the school humiliating her.  And while we should definitely teach boys that girls aren't sexual objects, she hasn't really showed how that has anything to do with her getting in trouble for wearing short shorts.

Posted (edited)

After getting in trouble for the shorts, she put up papers all around the school which said-

.

Agree with everything you said. One of the other teens approached it more intelligently I thought...the one who challenged the "modest is hottest" and "boys will be boys" mottos of her principal. Edited by calmoriah
Posted

Agree with everything you said. One of the other teens approached it more intelligently I thought...the one who challenged the "modest is hottest" and "boys will be boys" mottos of her principal.

I agree. That teen from a different high school had reason to be upset with her principle because that code was obviously sexist.
Posted

Wasatch High fights its way back into the spotlight.

 

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/06/06/yearbook-hypocrisy/

 

They definitely deserve to get called on that.

 

Unless* they also didn't edit those kinds of photos involving girls (I'm talking about candid shots).

 

Even if the candid photos were all unedited though, if they are going to freak out about the regular photos and the school dress code then they need to hold that standard for the entire yearbook.

Posted (edited)

They definitely deserve to get called on that.

 

Unless* they also didn't edit those kinds of photos involving girls (I'm talking about candid shots).

 

Even if the candid photos were all unedited though, if they are going to freak out about the regular photos and the school dress code then they need to hold that standard for the entire yearbook.

Agreed.

 

But it looks like this link stems from the Tribune story about what was in the yearbook last year, not this year. Of which I commented previously:

 

Unless it can be shown that there were similar pictures of boys in this year's yearbook, the only reasonable conclusion is that the school was more careful and vigilant this year -- regarding both sexes -- than it was last year. So what? Institutions, like people, can improve.

 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...