Seriously No Politics ×

Dress For Church

I attend a church which is very casual in regards to attire that you wear at church. Even during summer months I have been known to wear knee length shorts and a t shirt. And everyone is pretty much casual. That being said it doesn't take away from our walk with God.

And quite truthfully God cares more about how you are on the inside as opposed to the outside.

Clothes doesnt make faith or piety if the heart is wicked.

In the past I attended another church where it was deemed more respectful to dress up for church. I noticed when I attended a few services at the ward near me that members of the LDS also dress up.

As a guy I find the whole shirt and tie thing very resticting. Any other guys feel this way?

When I attended the LDS service I dressed quit nice, pressed pants, checkered shirt and light cardigan but ecen than I had people look don their nose at my attire.

Any reason why dressing up is so needed, especially whn Jesus never commanded us too.

Any answerw are helpful. I have been invited to another ward, but I am hesitant as I dont want to dress up to impress. I rather just go and be in the presence of God.

Thanks

Glenn

Here is the odd thing...people seem to resent anyone who has higher standards. We do not tell others how to dress or pray. "We worship according to the dictates of our own conscience and allow others to do the say. Let them worship, how, where or what they may". I was involved in a discussion on this issue years ago on a very large "Christian website" and some where saying God would not care if people went to Church naked. We dress out of respect for the house of The Lord that we are visiting. The question is not how God sees us, but how we view him. The little extra effort is to show respect for who's presence we enter.

The difference is that Jesus' dress code was equally sociological as it was religious. This is not the case with the LDS.

I disagree.

The purpose for the dress code is to show respect and reverence for the God we worship.  That seems like a religious reason to me.

Here is the odd thing...people seem to resent anyone who has higher standards. We do not tell others how to dress or pray. "We worship according to the dictates of our own conscience and allow others to do the say. Let them worship, how, where or what they may". I was involved in a discussion on this issue years ago on a very large "Christian website" and some where saying God would not care if people went to Church naked. We dress out of respect for the house of The Lord that we are visiting. The question is not how God sees us, but how we view him. The little extra effort is to show respect for who's presence we enter.

When I read your post an image of King David and his 1st wife Michal came to my mind.

How after winning a major victory he paraded through the city giving praise and glory to God in a loincloth while his judgemental wife disposed and critised him for.

Wear what you feel is comfortable; it is between you and God.  Going to church is not about finding others who are perfect, but in fellowshipping with those that are trying just as much as you are to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.  If you feel good in jeans then wear them.  

The heart is reflected in our words and actions. We have no control over how others treat us, but we are in complete control over how we treat them.  The focus should not be on others; the focus should be on ourselves.  Don't be concerned about how other people dress or judge you; it doesn't matter because they are not your judge. Recognizing that they are there is enough to love them for their efforts to follow Christ regardless of how effective they are at reflecting Christ's love.

When I read your post an image of King David and his 1st wife Michal came to my mind.

How after winning a major victory he paraded through the city giving praise and glory to God in a loincloth while his judgemental wife disposed and critised him for.

What in my post made me seem judgmental? To the point of what I said, we do not try to tell others how do dress and we are astonished at those who have a problem with how we dress. We are not seeking the approval of the world, if we get it, chances are we are moving in the wrong direction. How we approach God, in dress, prayer or worship, does not change God, it changes us. So again, how did my comments make you feel like using the example of a judgmental wife?

Also, white shirts and ties are not doctrine, and we do not turn any away who dress differently. Don't confuse culture and doctrine.

Being dressed in just a loincloth can be hazardous to your health this time of year. ;)

What in my post made me seem judgmental? To the point of what I said, we do not try to tell others how do dress and we are astonished at those who have a problem with how we dress. We are not seeking the approval of the world, if we get it, chances are we are moving in the wrong direction. How we approach God, in dress, prayer or worship, does not change God, it changes us. So again, how did my comments make you feel like using the example of a judgmental wife?

Also, white shirts and ties are not doctrine, and we do not turn any away who dress differently. Don't confuse culture and doctrine.

Sorry you misunderstood what I said.

I was not linking you to David's judgemental wife.

What you wrote planted that image in my mind.

Being dressed in just a loincloth can be hazardous to your health this time of year. ;)

You're telling me. Melbourne 2 weeks ago if I wore a loincloth I would have received 3rd degree burns.

But not sociological.

You really don't think so?

The majority of arguments that i have seen that are against the LDS belief about dress standards attacks them as being purely sociological.  That is, they serve a social and cultural function and have nothing to do with God.

You really don't think so? The majority of arguments that i have seen that are against the LDS belief about dress standards attacks them as being purely sociological.  That is, they serve a social and cultural function and have nothing to do with God.

I believe it's purely religious and not sociological considering that day to day dress is not reflected in Sunday dress or vice versa. There is an obvious disconnect that is not found in Jesus' time.

I believe it's purely religious and not sociological considering that day to day dress is not reflected in Sunday dress or vice versa. There is an obvious disconnect that is not found in Jesus' time.

I don't believe there is at all an obvious disconnect.  Neither do i agree that day to day dress is not reflected in Sunday dress, especially considering that teachings about clothing (such as modesty) extend to Sunday and every other day of the week as well.

I do read that Australia is having a heat wave right now. I live in southern California. So are we, and it is supposed to be winter here. Stay cool, and have a tall glass of icy lemonade. :)

I am a cursed Southerner, love lemonade and it gives me bad heartburn. I guess a small price to be paid living in Zion (Georgia).

I don't believe there is at all an obvious disconnect.  Neither do i agree that day to day dress is not reflected in Sunday dress, especially considering that teachings about clothing (such as modesty) extend to Sunday and every other day of the week as well.

Modesty in the contemporary Mormon sense is a relatively new idea. It is illogical to assert that a male who wears long shorts to cover his garments does so because of a modest motivation rather than the need to cover that which is sacred. I know plenty of non Mormon men who wear different lengths of shorts based on comfort and style preference and not necessarily because of fashion trend. For example, a good friend of mine wheres shorts that are mid thigh length with a t-shirt with sleeves that rise to upper to mid bicep length with flip flops. However, when we attend Mass he wears slacks, Steve Madden shoes and a polo or short sleeve button down shirt of varying styles. So what? Neither are reflective of his devotion to Christ and carrying the Gospel of our Lord to the world.

The LDS have their way of doing things. Does that make their way more appropriate or spiritually conducive? Absolutely not. It is religious that has moved into sociological realms. Not vice versa.

I don't dress 'up' to be around the people who I respect the most, and with whom I have the most intimate and meaningful relationships.  I guess it's possible that they see this as disrespectful, but I don't believe that they do.  Come to think of it... they don't dress up to be around me either.  Maybe I should feel disrespected!

The only times that I dress 'up' are when I'm meeting with people that have some sort of power over me.  Times when there's a perception that someone could help or hurt me based, at least partially, on how I'm dressed.  Basically, I'll dress 'up' for a judge, job interview, or a meeting with the boss of my boss.  I guess that dressing 'up' for me is largely a fear response rather than a show of respect.

That being said.... when I was a believing LDS, my motive for dressing up was primarily cultural.  I like to avoid standing out.  I'm not sure where our society got the idea that tying a piece of fabric around our neck, or wearing our nicest clothes was a sign of respect....  There's probably a historical study on that somewhere...  :unknw: