Dress For Church

PtolemyGlenn

I attend a church which is very casual in regards to attire that you wear at church. Even during summer months I have been known to wear knee length shorts and a t shirt. And everyone is pretty much casual. That being said it doesn't take away from our walk with God.

And quite truthfully God cares more about how you are on the inside as opposed to the outside.

Clothes doesnt make faith or piety if the heart is wicked.

In the past I attended another church where it was deemed more respectful to dress up for church. I noticed when I attended a few services at the ward near me that members of the LDS also dress up.

As a guy I find the whole shirt and tie thing very resticting. Any other guys feel this way?

When I attended the LDS service I dressed quit nice, pressed pants, checkered shirt and light cardigan but ecen than I had people look don their nose at my attire.

Any reason why dressing up is so needed, especially whn Jesus never commanded us too.

Any answerw are helpful. I have been invited to another ward, but I am hesitant as I dont want to dress up to impress. I rather just go and be in the presence of God.

Thanks

Glenn

I attend a church which is very casual in regards to attire that you wear at church. Even during summer months I have been known to wear knee length shorts and a t shirt. And everyone is pretty much casual. That being said it doesn't take away from our walk with God.

And quite truthfully God cares more about how you are on the inside as opposed to the outside.

In the past I attended another church where it was deemed more respectful to dress up for church. I noticed when I attended a few services at the ward near me that members of the LDS also dress up.

As a guy I find the whole shirt and tie thing very resticting. Any other guys feel this way?

When I attended the LDS service I dressed quit nice, pressed pants, checkered shirt and light cardigan but ecen than I had people look don their nose at my attire.

Any reason why dressing up is so needed, especially whn Jesus never commanded us too.

Any answerw are helpful. I have been invited to another ward, but I am hesitant as I dont want to dress up to impress. I rather just go and be in the presence of God.

Thanks

Glenn

Some wards are more conscious of dress than others.  That being said I think it shows more respect if one makes an effort to dress "up" for the occasion.  Your slacks, nice shirt and sweater should be sufficient.  My ward has those who wear suits and ties, slacks and white shirt with tie and those who wear Docker(type) slacks with white shirts and ties and one who wears sweaters and slacks.  The important thing is to come in an attitude of worship dressed so that you would be comfortable sitting in the presence of Jesus.

I know the idea behind the suit and tie really isn't behind the suit and tie, it's about wearing a white shirt for symbolism of purity.

That being said, I've often chimed in here on how people from around my parts (Erie, PA) are very blue collar. Suits and ties are not the norm for most poeple. Business casual is about the most a lot of people would wear, even to a funeral.

I haven't seen anyone kick out for what they wear, but somehow I think that since our ward is filled with mainly people that only wear suits and ties, we are not making others feel too welcome like they could belong.

We just had a lasdy yesterday do a talk about the proper talk of prayer. And how we are supposed to say "Thou" and "Thee" in our prayers as a sign of respect. I don't who decided that, but I don;t like the implication that if you don't talk to God in that way, you are not somehow being respectful.

What is respectful should be like tithing, between them a person and God. No one should get inbetween. However, that will never stop people from trying to.

I attended a ward in Montana where people came in their overalls, but it was a rural community and many of them just came from doing their farm work. I would never feel comfortable unless I wore the best I had. I think it is a show of respect for whom you are worshipping. Of course he knows what is in your heart, but is your heart turned to him enough to make an effort to dress better than you usually do? It used to be customary even in pioneer times that people saved their best for Sunday worship. How far we have come....down.

:Well, I just know I won't be wearing a dress for church any time soon. :crazy:

Do you have a dress standard for church? Would there be any attire that you would deem inappropriate for church?
For me, a suit and tie sets a mood or attitude for worship, but that is most likely a cultural thing. And yet I would not wear a suit for a day at the beach or a Speedo( heaven forbid) to a business meeting.

Edited by strappinglad

My husband hates how my son dresses to church.  And it causes problems each time.  I say as long as he goes, zip it!  My son is one of those that goes against the flow.  Yesterday it was a wrinkly plaid shirt with a striped belt that didn't match.  Just glad he doesn't wear the purple ladies slippers he bought at the DI that he has worn to school.  My husband and I hold our breath a lot on Sunday morning.  I think he's just pushing buttons.  But do wish the church would back away and let members discern for themselves.  The church, like parents need to back off.  I think my son will come around and make a good choice.  Peer pressure can seem to be enough.  I'd be wearing dress slacks if it weren't for the peer pressure.  But do like that we dress up for the Lord. 

What makes you think people looked down their noses?   And I don't think white shirts have anything at all to do with some symbolism.   The issue is whether we bring our best selves in every way to worship him.   If our very best is probably a suit in our casket, then why wouldn't our very best in life be a suit, too?   (You should know that in other parts of the world, they do where what their culture deems their best clothes, and sometimes white shirts and ties with grass skirts or something like that.)

What makes you think people looked down their noses?  

I had all my clothes at my parents for ahwile in boxes when I moved back home. I had been going to church for a few weeks in a nicer shirt, but jeans. I was feeling down about the church anyway at the time so I didn't care. Later I actually dug out a white shirt and tie, but still jeans one week. One brother noticed my shirt and tie, but then noticed by jeans. The statement was "Well, brother Jim, I thought you were going to class it up this week. I guess I was wrong."

Things like that.

And I don't think white shirts have anything at all to do with some symbolism.  

Elder Holland;

"May I suggest that wherever possible a white shirt be worn by the deacons, teachers, and priests who handle the sacrament. For sacred ordinances in the Church we often use ceremonial clothing, and a white shirt could be seen as a gentle reminder of the white clothing you wore in the baptismal font and an anticipation of the white shirt you will soon wear into the temple and onto your missions” (“This Do in Remembrance of Me,” Ensign, Nov. 1995, 68).

I would first and foremost wear clothes that establish integrity between the internal and external aspects of love and respect you have for the One with whom you are communing.

For example, you are wearing a tie in your avatar; whatever the occasion was must have been important enough to you to war more than a t-shirt. When you go for a job interview, or on a date, you try to be and look your best so that your appearance matches up  with your lofty intentions. This serves as much as reminder for you as to how to think and behave as it does for helping you convey a message of sincerity to the people with whom you are establishing a rapport.

I would first and foremost wear clothes that establish integrity between the internal and external aspects of love and respect you have for the One with whom you are communing.

Clothes do not equal intergrity. Think of any of the politicians, salesmen, businessmen that make your blood boil. What were they wearing?

I am not much of a style guy, but whenever I hear about style and trends, it's always one group of people enforcing thier will on the whole. Ever wonder who the heck ever made the "rule" that you cannot wear white after labor day? As if some cosmic force other than being "out of vouge" going to erupt and engulf the planet in flames.

Society care about how you dress. God cares for sincerity.

Edited by thatjimguy

Clothes do not equal intergrity. Think of any of the politicians, salesmen, businessmen that make your blood boil. What were they wearing?

I am not much of a style guy, but whenever I hear about style and trends, it's always one group of people enforcing thier will on the whole. Ever wonder who the heck ever made the "rule" that you cannot wear white after labor day? As if some cosmic force other than being "out of vouge" going to erupt and engulf the planet in flames.

Yeah, think John the Baptist here. :(

Yeah, think John the Baptist here. :sad:

Now this is where Shawn McCraney came up with a good point. Who would at John the Baptist as a righteous man in LDS society?

There were much better clothes to wear during those days other than clothes made out of camels hair and a belt.

Thanks

Glenn

Um well, the default uniform in the LDS church seems to be the slacks, shirt, tie thing.  Too much of an inconvenience? LOL

You should try heels, with a slip that clings and a neck line that wants to creep, bra straps that pinch, makeup that won't stay and hair that ... And then you wind up freezing because the men are all bundled up in a coat too, and won't turn the heat on !!!

:)

:Well, I just know I won't be wearing a dress for church any time soon. :crazy:

Do you have a dress standard for church? Would there be any attire that you would deem inappropriate for church?

For me, a suit and tie sets a mood or attitude for worship, but that is most likely a cultural thing. And yet I would not wear a suit for a day at the beach or a Speedo( heaven forbid) to a business meeting.

Now, that I would like to See !!!  :) 

I have thought about wearing a Man's suit, with suitable skirt, of course. :)  But when they saw it was me, they'd just ignore it.

This written by a woman who walked into the Portland Visitor's center in full Muslim Niqab (veil) just for the fun of it. :)

Um well, the default uniform in the LDS church seems to be the slacks, shirt, tie thing.  Too much of an inconvenience? LOL

You should try heels, with a slip that clings and a neck line that wants to creep, bra straps that pinch, makeup that won't stay and hair that ... And then you wind up freezing because the men are all bundled up in a coat too, and won't turn the heat on !!!

:)

You got from reading his post that the reason he didn't want to wear suits and ties is because he is lazy? 

Edited by thatjimguy

I agree.

Aligning the internal with the external establishes the integrity, not one aspect or the other in isolation. Once someone knows better, attending church in slovenly attire is as hypocritical as a well-dressed con artist attending church with no intention to worship.

I think all the Lord would like to see when we approach Him in unity with the saints is our best sincere effort to align our countenance with our attitudes toward Him and those we worship with. Dress and grooming are part of our countenance; and a degree of conventionality is part of our unity. And I wouldn't use this is an example of one group of people enforcing thier will on the whole.

I know the idea behind the suit and tie really isn't behind the suit and tie, it's about wearing a white shirt for symbolism of purity.

That being said, I've often chimed in here on how people from around my parts (Erie, PA) are very blue collar. Suits and ties are not the norm for most poeple. Business casual is about the most a lot of people would wear, even to a funeral.

I haven't seen anyone kick out for what they wear, but somehow I think that since our ward is filled with mainly people that only wear suits and ties, we are not making others feel too welcome like they could belong.

We just had a lasdy yesterday do a talk about the proper talk of prayer. And how we are supposed to say "Thou" and "Thee" in our prayers as a sign of respect. I don't who decided that, but I don;t like the implication that if you don't talk to God in that way, you are not somehow being respectful.

I agree with you 100%.

God is not going to stop listening to your prayers if you choose not to say Thee and Thou. Prayer should be sincere and from the heart and not controlled.

What is respectful should be like tithing, between them a person and God. No one should get inbetween. However, that will never stop people from trying to.

I attended a ward in Montana where people came in their overalls, but it was a rural community and many of them just came from doing their farm work. I would never feel comfortable unless I wore the best I had. I think it is a show of respect for whom you are worshipping. Of course he knows what is in your heart, but is your heart turned to him enough to make an effort to dress better than you usually do? It used to be customary even in pioneer times that people saved their best for Sunday worship. How far we have come....down.

The Bible does state Do not let your adorning be external. Your braiding of hair, wearing of gold jewelery or the clothing you wear. 1 Peter 3:3

And 1 Tim 2:9-10

You have someone in rags with a pure heart and a unrepentant sinner in their sunsay best. Whose being more sincere to God?

My husband hates how my son dresses to church.  And it causes problems each time.  I say as long as he goes, zip it!  My son is one of those that goes against the flow.  Yesterday it was a wrinkly plaid shirt with a striped belt that didn't match.  Just glad he doesn't wear the purple ladies slippers he bought at the DI that he has worn to school.  My husband and I hold our breath a lot on Sunday morning.  I think he's just pushing buttons.  But do wish the church would back away and let members discern for themselves.  The church, like parents need to back off.  I think my son will come around and make a good choice.  Peer pressure can seem to be enough.  I'd be wearing dress slacks if it weren't for the peer pressure.  But do like that we dress up for the Lord.

So true. The loving thing is that your son is attending church and seeking God. Clothes does not make the man.

OF course God doesn't care. The real question are we dressing up/down to draw attention to ourselves and away from why we go to Church in the first place?

So true, that's one thing about Utah LDS women, I've no idea about LDS women elsewhere.  It's almost a fashion show sometimes.  There are beautiful women in Utah, they are known for it.  We have so many billboards for plastic surgery.... I c/p below from this site.... http://www.beautyredefined.net/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-salt-lake-city-is-vainest-of-them-all/

"Vainest City in the Nation” in 2007, which still stands, according to the most recent data. Anyone who has driven along a SLC freeway and seen the billboards might not be shocked to hear the city has the most plastic surgeons per capita at six per 100,000 residents – topping NYC and LA! But it’s not just plastic surgery that places SLC at the height of vanity, where 66% of procedures are considered “cosmetic.” The little metropolis’s “self-help” regimens lead the nation, as well, due to the record-breaking millions spent on cosmetics, skin care and hair products each year: ten-fold the amount spent in cities of comparable size."

But as the article will mention elsewhere, LDS women have big families and their bodies take the brunt. 

I just know the LDS women in Utah like their clothing.... :)

Slacks and sweaters are not that unusual for church.  Unless someone actually said something I think you may be reading too much into the situation.  Mormons are very "investigator" minded and don't care one whit what visitors are wearing.

I was actually approached by an elder in the church advising it would be better if I wear a tie like the rest of the men when I returned the folllowing Sunday.

For example, you are wearing a tie in your avatar; whatever the occasion was must have been important enough to you to war more than a t-shirt. When you go for a job interview, or on a date, you try to be and look your best so that your appearance matches up  with your lofty intentions. This serves as much as reminder for you as to how to think and behave as it does for helping you convey a message of sincerity to the people with whom you are establishing a rapport.

Yeah I also have blue hair in that avator.

While you made some good points in regards tojob interviews.

This is God we are talking about. He cares more about a sincere heart than a tie. Do you agree that a sincere loving heart is better than an outward tie?