New More Relaxed Missionary Dress Guidelines

Okrahomer

Is that new? I served in Phoenix, so going full suit all the time would be sweaty, musty and gross, so we mostly wear short sleeved white shirts. Sunday during church we wore suits, but the jackets came off pretty quick once that was done.

Is this the norm? Up here in Canada, during the summer, I don't really see the Elders in suits during the week.

My recollection is that missionaires serving in hot-weather situations have always been allowed some leeway, but it was more along the lines of "removing your suit coat"; however, I think this general guideline indicating slacks (not suit pants) and ties may be "new."

Here's Peggy Fletcher Stack's Tribune-take on it.

I'll go dig around for my call packet (the generic one that comes from the Church, not my mission specific one) and see if I can find it for the sake of interest. I got called back in 2009, so I wouldn't consider myself old, by any means, but this sounds rather new.

Perhaps this has already been discussed here:

"You are not required to wear a suit during regular everyday proselyting activities. On these occasions, wear a white shirt, tie, durable and comfortable dress shoes, and professional dress slacks that hold a crease."

So, what about Female Missionaries?

So, what about Female Missionaries?

IIRC, their standards have gone a bit more casual and stylish as well. I remember someone saying that female missionaries weren't dressing as dowdy as they used to....

IIRC, their standards have gone a bit more casual and stylish as well. I remember someone saying that female missionaries weren't dressing as dowdy as they used to....

My experience is short, and I was gently admonished by women missionaries to wear my skirts about knee length, cap sleeves, and conservative neck lines. Now I am seeing more Mormon women, even Missionaries, dressing much more conservatively, and it makes me feel better.

I can testify to that. The pictures that I get in the email from girlfriend? Bow chika wow wow. Proselyting never looked so hot (and sweaty...it's Louisiana).

Yea it was the case back when I served in the 90's that we didn't have to wear a suit if the weather allowed for it. We had some great suit colours back then too...I loved my green & purple suits!

My nan was converted back in the 60's and the missionaries then ALWAYS had to wear a suit, no matter how hot it was. She told me what they used to do was cut their shirts so that they were just a collar & bib and wear that under their suit jackets. :D

Yay! When I served in 98-99 the rules for sisters were so dowdy. My mission wasn't so bad as I had a very mellow mission president but I remember being at the MTC and having to go to a sisters only meeting where they pretty much told all of us that we needed to send all of our clothes home and have new ones sent because they were too colorful and casual, making us look like we were 'polly on a picnic' (direct quote) rather than missionaries. They wanted all of us in button down shirts and tailored suit skirts-business dress standards. It was a horrible meeting.

Yay! When I served in 98-99 the rules for sisters were so dowdy. My mission wasn't so bad as I had a very mellow mission president but I remember being at the MTC and having to go to a sisters only meeting where they pretty much told all of us that we needed to send all of our clothes home and have new ones sent because they were too colorful and casual, making us look like we were 'polly on a picnic' (direct quote) rather than missionaries. They wanted all of us in button down shirts and tailored suit skirts-business dress standards. It was a horrible meeting.

Oh, my, now it's the complete opposite. When I went to the site that Cal provided, it made me uncomfortable, especially when they show pictures of how hairstyles and make up could look. Stepford wives came to me. Sorry, but it bothered me. Also, it reminded me of an older "Strength of the Youth" pamphlet that told women not to go out in hair curlers and some other things like that.

Oh, my, now it's the complete opposite. When I went to the site that Cal provided, it made me uncomfortable, especially when they show pictures of how hairstyles and make up could look. Stepford wives came to me. Sorry, but it bothered me.

While the rules may come across that way, I don't think it functions that way in real life...at least not in my experience, though it might be slightly strange going up to Temple Square and seeing the masses of young women in nice clothing, though that might be more being used to seeing girls in jeans and such rather than them looking too much alike. Maybe though that is because when you only get two at a time and you are associating with them rather than just observing thm, the personality comes through.

I known investigators and others who think we all look alike in our Sunday best at church while I see a huge variety when I look around. I think it is all what you are used to, the more interaction you have with something the more details can become important so that you can identify individual things and people quicker.

And if one isn't bothered by the young men looking like clones in their clothing, I don't see why it should be a problem for young women to have a fairly uniform look to them as well. Seems like it is only fair in fact. :)

While the rules may come across that way, I don't think it functions that way in real life...at least not in my experience, though it might be slightly strange going up to Temple Square and seeing the masses of young women in nice clothing, though that might be more being used to seeing girls in jeans and such rather than them looking too much alike. Maybe though that is because when you only get two at a time and you are associating with them rather than just observing thm, the personality comes through.

I known investigators and others who think we all look alike in our Sunday best at church while I see a huge variety when I look around. I think it is all what you are used to, the more interaction you have with something the more details can become important so that you can identify individual things and people quicker.

And if one isn't bothered by the young men looking like clones in their clothing, I don't see why it should be a problem for young women to have a fairly uniform look to them as well. Seems like it is only fair in fact. :)

I know, and I'm thrilled that the girls can now wear more updated outfits, and especially that they are not having to wear nylons, especially in the heat. It just bothered me how the article showed ways to wear make up, hair etc. A little too commercial & beauty contest for me. I'm also glad the men don't have to wear the suits my husband had to wear, Swedish knit, that would be brutal! Especially with the humidity in Mississippi. Luckily he didn't have to wear the suit at all times.

I know, and I'm thrilled that the girls can now wear more updated outfits, and especially that they are not having to wear nylons, especially in the heat. It just bothered me how the article showed ways to wear make up, hair etc. A little too commercial & beauty contest for me.

The rules are you don't have to wear makeup if you don't want to and they ask if you do wear it, to be more conservative in such so I think it is the very opposite of commercial and beauty contest. If you can locate some beauty contestant that looks like one of the examples, I would love to see it.

On the main page:

Makeup should be natural and conservative in style and color.
On the general guidelines page:
You are not required to wear makeup; however, wearing makeup can help you look your best. If you choose to wear makeup, be sure that it is natural and conservative in style and color. Nail polish should also be subtle in color and style and not draw attention.
From the examples, pictured, they are asking the girls to use a very light touch with makeup so as not to draw major attention to their beauty...which is different than suggesting it may help them look their "best". Looking pulled together, like one cares about their appearance is very different than looking like one's appearance is the most important thing to them.

And honestly, considering the heavy hand I see a lot of young ladies use with their makeup these days, I don't think it is a bad idea to give tips to avoid an overly doneup look.

And I say this as someone who doesn't wear makeup, rarely did as a teen and even in college, at most put on a little gop on my eyelashes. If I was really dressed up, I'd put on some shadow. I was lucky enough that my colouring gives enough contrast I didn't looked washed out without it.

The rules are you don't have to wear makeup if you don't want to and they ask if you do wear it, to be more conservative in such so I think it is the very opposite of commercial and beauty contest.

On the main page:

On the general guidelines page:

I must not have read it very well, thanks for clarifying. I was just going by the photos shown. Yeah, I do see a need for that now. We don't have all Utahn's going out, where we are quite conservative, unlike other parts of the world that have women going. I'm coming around to the idea now. Thanks.

When President Booth was over the Phoenix mission, missionaries were not required to wear pros on p-day before 5 pm. I think President Gill, who came after Booth but before Beck, was the same. The only thing was that missionaries had to wear their nametags. I miss the good ole days when I would get in trouble with Presidents Booth and Gill for the crazy stuff their missionaries and I would do. The wives are the ones I really had to worry about. Sister Booth could be brutal.

President Monson removed his coat during a talk in General Conference.

I know, and I'm thrilled that the girls can now wear more updated outfits, and especially that they are not having to wear nylons

Bobby socks?

I am aghast at the styles that some elders think is acceptable. 1970's wide width ties, those shoes with no laces, they look GQ but not and it' looks goofy. belst that are different colours then the pants. Some elders I have had to show them how to tie a tie to. I can't stand the shiny paisley ties they are rampant here. I tell the elders if you wear one in my place i'll burn it and you'll be lucky if I take it off first. So far so good. Mind you some Sisters dress like they are 87 years old but hopefully this will take years off!

polly on a picnic!!! hahahahahahaha! oh man. The sisters in our mission had to wear suit jackets at the meetings and church and it just looked dumb and uncomfortable

I am aghast at the styles that some elders think is acceptable. 1970's wide width ties, those shoes with no laces, they look GQ but not and it' looks goofy. belst that are different colours then the pants. Some elders I have had to show them how to tie a tie to.

Just send them to the standards page and insist that they match their ties to one there or else:
Ties should be simple in color and design and professional in style. They should not contain pictures or caricatures. Do not, for any reason, wear ties that draw attention, appear unprofessional, or distract others from your message.

https://missionary.lds.org/dress-grooming/elder/dress/shirts/?lang=eng

Since they have makeup tips for women, they probably should have a 'how to tie a tie' page for the men.

I am sorry, Duncan...they allow slip on shoes.

Perhaps this has already been discussed here:

"You are not required to wear a suit during regular everyday proselyting activities. On these occasions, wear a white shirt, tie, durable and comfortable dress shoes, and professional dress slacks that hold a crease."

Only time I used a suit was in the MTC. On my mission, I left the suit with a member in my first area and picked it up when I returned home. That was over 10 years ago.

Only time I used a suit was in the MTC. On my mission, I left the suit with a member in my first area and picked it up when I returned home. That was over 10 years ago.

That seems to have been true in some missions--especially those located in hot/warm weather climates; nevertheless, the fact that the Church updated the general missionary dress and grooming guidelines only in the past couple of days has caused quite a bit of general excitement (at least that is my impression based on posted online comments to the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune news reports about it). Not all of the reactions have been positive, including from a few somewhat dismayed missionary parents who are now feeling pressure to re-outfit their respective missionary children. I personally feel the changes are a good idea, but then I no longer have any missionary-aged children to worry about.

Archived