Predictions On New Temple Announcements

Judd

I started a similar thread last conference only to have no new temples be announced. In reality, there is an extensive list of temples under construction in addition to many announced that haven't been any closer to groundbreaking than they were years ago. I could see some slowing to let things catch up, especially with an economic downturn. However, 4 temple will have been dedicated since last conference.

It would appear that, in my estimation, th US and Canada are relatively saturated with regard to the distance temples are located from sizable membership. There are still some holes but most of these are still within some reasonable distance of a temple. On the other hand there are a few places world-wide that really aren't a feasible distance from a temple but have a big enough membership to sustain a temple if the geography of the areas were a little closer together.

Anyhow, my guess is that 1-3 temples will likely be announced. I predict one in the US (Pocatello, Cedar City or Tucson), one in Africa (Harare, Zimbabwe; Abidjan, Ivory Coast or Kampala, Uganada / Nairobi, Kenya), one for South (of) America (Rio de Janiero, Brazil; Brasilia, Brazil or Managua, Nicaragua) in addition to Bangkok, Thailand (my pick), with sleeper possibilities of Papua New Guinea and Port-au-Prince, Haiti. The last two I would presume to be more like 5 years out, however.

I don't see any new Temple announcements this time around either and I don't see any more Temples announced in the US or Canada-especially Canada. if they did announce new ones I can see possibly in eastern Europe or hopefully another one or two in Argentina, Peru and hopefully a Temple in either Ireland or Scotland. My city was announced 18 months ago and we have one stake and a district of a few scattered branches so the door is now wide open for areas for Temples.

I don't see any new Temple announcements this time around either and I don't see any more Temples announced in the US or Canada-especially Canada. if they did announce new ones I can see possibly in eastern Europe or hopefully another one or two in Argentina, Peru and hopefully a Temple in either Ireland or Scotland. My city was announced 18 months ago and we have one stake and a district of a few scattered branches so the door is now wide open for areas for Temples.

The Winnipeg temple is definitely odd and makes for strange things happening. Despite that, I'd say Moscow is the only place in eastern (or all) Europe (sans UK) and even them Kyiv just opened (though it's a distance). Can't fathom Ireland though I guess Scotland could be possible.

What do the people in Winnipeg say anyway? What's the speculation on temple size? The church seemed to discontinue the standard 10,700 sq ft temples and it seems that would be the only possibility for Winnipeg, if not even smaller (the ones with only one ordinance room w/o progression.

The Winnipeg temple is definitely odd and makes for strange things happening. Despite that, I'd say Moscow is the only place in eastern (or all) Europe (sans UK) and even them Kyiv just opened (though it's a distance). Can't fathom Ireland though I guess Scotland could be possible.

What do the people in Winnipeg say anyway? What's the speculation on temple size? The church seemed to discontinue the standard 10,700 sq ft temples and it seems that would be the only possibility for Winnipeg, if not even smaller (the ones with only one ordinance room w/o progression.

It came as a TOTAL surprise and I have my speculations as to what all happened to get it. Honestly and I hate to say it but a lot of people are grumbling and shocked about it. I know that Calgary's Temple had a lot of people grumbling about volunteering and meetings and I think that if the 6 stakes there are grumbling then this Temple will bury us alive. We have three Temples within 6-7 hours as it is. We have about 1200 "active" members here out of about 3000 on the rolls, I know what the official records say but my bro is the stake clerk and I have lived here all my life so I know the "real" numbers! I hope our Temple looks like the Vancouver Temple!! Another thing is we simply need more members here to staff it, we have staffing problems now without the Temple so I don't know what all will happen. I don't want to paint a cynical picture but just relaying some feelings of the members here. Since it was announced I have become more aware of Temples throughout the world and am still amazed, totally that we are getting one. It will kick us all in the butt and I hope it will improve things here. I do know members who don't want it, they just for whatever reason don't want it.

Maybe the brethern know something about Winnipeg that your members don't know . Brother Eyring came to my town a few years back and said that our area would eventually have more non-members than members. My town has 9 wards so about 3000 members out of a town population of 3500 +/- . OR ABOUT 85% lds. On the surface then, his statement seems not achieveable. But, there are rumors of a major oil and gas find in the area and if this happens the demographics of our town can change dramatically and quickly.

Edited by blackstrap

I'm not sure that there is a particular pressing need to have a new temple anywhere, but the Church never ceases to amaze me with the rapidity of temple announcements. So I'll take a stab at it just for fun, but I'm probably way off:

Grand Junction, Colorado

Lehi, Utah

Little Rock, Arkansas

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Moscow or St. Petersburg, Russia

Athens, Greece

somewhere in central or South America

Maybe the brethern know something about Winnipeg that your members don't know . Brother Eyring came to my town a few years back and said that our area would eventually have more non-members than members. My town has 9 wards so about 3000 members out of a town population of 3500 +/- . OR ABOUT 85% lds. On the surface then, his statement seems not achieveable. But, there are rumors of a major oil and gas find in the area and if this happens the demographics of our town can change dramatically and quickly.

that's interesting! in 2005 Elder Eyring came here and said something and I can't recall the exact words he used but that we would have an influx of members moving here. Now, at that time it was the case. We were getting students from all over the place for schooling and ohers getting transferred for work. Since about 2009? it has been down to a trickle and those members and students coming have all left pretty much. So, I hope his prophecy will still be the case! Since the stake was created in the late 70's we have had 4 Stake Presidents. When they were released all have left and our current one will probably leave when he's done, he has no family here and was fired from his job a few years back so there isn't anything keeping him here, so we need people!!!!!!! If you have any single women 26-34 send them my way!!!

Perhaps the members could encourage more use of dinofuels so as to increase global warming in the Winnipeg area. That should influence more people to come to the place. I know a few ladies of the age group you mention. They all have lovely personalities.

hahaha! We got stuff here, more artsy stuff though. Our Stake Patriarch was baptized by Randy Bachman of The Guess Who and BTO bands- Lovely personalities or lovely...personalities...

Can't fathom Ireland though I guess Scotland could be possible.

The five (Celtic) nations should rightly have many more temples in active use. I'd love to see the ancient ones come back into regular use as well.

Edited by Nathair

I started a similar thread last conference only to have no new temples be announced. In reality, there is an extensive list of temples under construction in addition to many announced that haven't been any closer to groundbreaking than they were years ago. I could see some slowing to let things catch up, especially with an economic downturn. However, 4 temple will have been dedicated since last conference.

It would appear that, in my estimation, th US and Canada are relatively saturated with regard to the distance temples are located from sizable membership. There are still some holes but most of these are still within some reasonable distance of a temple. On the other hand there are a few places world-wide that really aren't a feasible distance from a temple but have a big enough membership to sustain a temple if the geography of the areas were a little closer together. U

Anyhow, my guess is that 1-3 temples will likely be announced. I predict one in the US (Pocatello, Cedar City or Tucson), one in Africa (Harare, Zimbabwe; Abidjan, Ivory Coast or Kampala, Uganada / Nairobi, Kenya), one for South (of) America (Rio de Janiero, Brazil; Brasilia, Brazil or Managua, Nicaragua) in addition to Bangkok, Thailand (my pick), with sleeper possibilities of Papua New Guinea and Port-au-Prince, Haiti. The last two I would presume to be more like 5 years out, however.

None in the Middle East, you can be assured in that Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

The only possible location in Canada for a Temple that I can see possibly getting a Temple would be Prince George, BC. Its north central British Columbia and they have one stake up there. If I understand correctly it's about ten hours north of Vancouver where the other Temple is. I have no idea what the activity rate of the members is like but that is honestly the only possible place they could build a Temple. My city as i say is sixish hours away from three Temples which makes you wonder why we are getting one and not PG or other places as I listed before

I predict... Gleneden Beach, OR... ;)

or at least somewhere along the central Pacific Northwest coast... we are only 2 hours away from the Portland Temple but winters going inland through the Van Duzer forest corridor can be treacherous. When I was an ordinance worker, I had to turn around and return home more than once because of snow/black ice... there's no other way to get inland but to go through the corridor over the mountains where the summit is about 800 ft. When it snows or ices down to 500' then that takes care of that.

Whenever we have stake conference (Salem area), they broadcast it to our ward so we don't have to drive through the corridor, particularly in winter.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Eastern Virginia, particularly Virginia Beach / Hampton Roads is way over due for a temple. Thats likely due to their proximity to DC but DC already serves a large area and its a 4 hour + drive for most in the district.

I am thinking the same thing! The thing that blows me away is Argentina has only the one Temple and they have a hundred or so stakes