inquiringmind Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 I think I asked this once before, but I can't find the thread now.Is it alright for Latter Day Saints (or investigators) to visit other Churches?And would it be sacriligious to receive communion?
altersteve Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 Yes, it's okay for Latter-day Saints to visit other churches. Receiving communion is not.
Freedom Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 I think I asked this once before, but I can't find the thread now.Is it alright for Latter Day Saints (or investigators) to visit other Churches?And would it be sacriligious to receive communion?It might be sacrilegious if that religion requires you to be baptized into their faith and you take it deceitfully. I have participated in many religious rituals of other faith by invitation. It was educational and moving. I do recall this topic - I will see if I can find it.
Libs Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 I think it is very desirable to visit other churches and learn more about various faiths. Anything that creates more understanding is a good thing.As for taking communion, I really don't see why not, if it is not against the rules of the church you are attending. The last church I attended had open communion and welcomed anyone who believed in Christ to participate.
halconero Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 A few years ago in the Q&A of the New Era (I'm dating myself here), this question was asked.The article said it's fine, and a great opportunity to learn and respect more about other faiths. It just advised against attending if it conflicts with your own church meetings.It was silent on communion. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with it, I would feel like I was recognizing that their sacrament was valid for the renewal of covenants. There fact is that most use wine (a select few use grape juice). This, however, is a personal sentiment and not meant to be a general statement in any way.
rpn Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 I think taking communion in another faith mocks God. But it wouldn't get you church discipline. Visiting? That depends on whether you can do it and make the meetings you have covenanted to attend (if in another congregation). Most of the time that is possible.
Freedom Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 I think taking communion in another faith mocks God. But it wouldn't get you church discipline. Visiting? That depends on whether you can do it and make the meetings you have covenanted to attend (if in another congregation). Most of the time that is possible.I think it depends on your intent. if it is offered I think it would be condescending and rude to reject it. To seek it out as valid ordinance is another matter.
Anakin7 Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 I have visited - Roman Catholic Orthodox, Coptic Egyptian Catholic Orthodox, Greek Catholic Orthodox, Methodist, Welyan Methodist, Southern Baptist,Northern Baptist,Fundamentalist Independant Baptist, Calvery Chapel, Jehovah Witnesses, Church Of Christ, . In His Debt/Grace Anakin7 LDS JEDI KNIGHT
Hamba Tuhan Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 (edited) When I was studying in America, I went to church one Sunday with a Baptist friend. They had a communion service that day, which they didn't always, and she told me I should feel free to participate as I felt comfortable. I didn't plan to, but when the bread and grape juice were passed to me, I did partake because it suddenly felt like the thing to do. No one was asking me to renew any covenants I had or hadn't made; they were simply giving me an opportunity to remember the sacrifice of the Saviour, and I was glad for that opportunity.Later, when I worked for the Anglican Church, I was required to attend a mid-morning mass each Wednesday. My boss repeatedly encouraged me to participate in the eucharist each week since it was open to all Christians, but I politely refused because it didn't seem right.A few years ago, when a nice JW couple invited me and some mates to their annual memorial service, I had to keep reminding my evil side that I should not take any of the communion... Edited August 25, 2012 by Hamba Tuhan
Kenngo1969 Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 A few years ago in the Q&A of the New Era (I'm dating myself here) ...Yeah. I often date myself ... because I can't find anyone else willing to date me! (Sorry. I had to do it! )
Bill “Papa” Lee Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 I think I asked this once before, but I can't find the thread now.Is it alright for Latter Day Saints (or investigators) to visit other Churches?And would it be sacriligious to receive communion?Attend yes, partake of the Sacrament; not sure?
DBMormon Posted August 25, 2012 Posted August 25, 2012 I think I asked this once before, but I can't find the thread now.Is it alright for Latter Day Saints (or investigators) to visit other Churches?And would it be sacriligious to receive communion?I think attending another church from time to time is wonderfulI also think taking their sacrament or communion does you no harm outside of the alcohol issue. So if there is wine perhaps take only the bread.Wouldn't bother me.
Lightbearer Posted August 27, 2012 Posted August 27, 2012 I think attending other churches are fine. In fact on my mission I attended the Roman Catholic, Pentacostal, United Church of Canada, Presbreterian, Jehovah's Wittness, and even a Spiritualist Church. Never would I partake of their sacraments, it would be hypocritical and disrespectful to those churches. I also suffered through a Private Baptist school in 8th grade and had to attend both their bible study class and chapel service while there. After my mission I have even attended a Jewish Temple. Methodist, and Baptist. I have also attended many funerals and weddings in other churches as well.
Recommended Posts