Golden Days: A Celebration Of Life....Pres. Monson'S Birthday!

Tacenda

Viewing it right now and learning alot about his life that I was unaware of, glad they were able to do this for him before his age prevented him from attending or enjoying it!

http://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch/celebration-of-life/2012/08?lang=eng&vid=1792707422001

I don't think we should make a big deal out of anyone's birthday like this...to much focus on man, in Christ's Church.

I don't think we should make a big deal out of anyone's birthday like this...to much focus on man, in Christ's Church.

What? They've done this for other prophets. (Or have they?) We shouldn't leave Pres. Monson out of the equation. But it was a pricey event I'll give you that, unless these performers donated their time and talents. Maybe even Pres. Monson would have wanted something a little more on the modest side. Who knows but the music was awe inspiring and for the work he's done for the church it's worth it.

A community will be closer bound to each other if they know each other on more than just a facial recognition basis. That works pretty easily with home and visiting teaching at the ward level, but to tie a world wide community together than it is a good idea to put faces on those people who are most often seen by the worldwide community. Celebrations like this are not so much about honouring the individual, but giving the community a time to be celebrating together, much like national or state holidays are supposed to do (though now most have just been changed into excuses to shop or party rather than actually celebrate they don't do much to increase the national sense of community imo.)

Pa Pa , I see your point. When you reach 85 , give me a call and I will arrange a party . As I was born 100 years after the pioneers entered the SL valley,Utah celebrates my birthday every year. I can't always make the events but I feel their joy in celebrating my life. As such ,I have friends in high places, and have quite a lot of pull.I mean,every year the Prophet comes out to see my parade and there are always lots of dignitaries waving. The fireworks are really great too.

I know and I love GBH, but in Christ's Church all should be equal. I even enjoyed his birthday presentation (GBH) but felt it was overdone. If it were me I would not allow this in my behalf.

Disagree. If all are equal then why did Jesus in his mortal state reveal more to some apostles and less to others?

I'm not a fan of Jehovah's Witnesses, but I can admire their zealousness in not observing birthday or holiday celebrations for this very reason. Maybe a little overzealous, but admirable nonetheless.

Disagree. If all are equal then why did Jesus in his mortal state reveal more to some apostles and less to others?

All the apostles were equal,it's just that some were more equal than others.

The concept of equality is a grand vision, but ,in my opinion,hopelessly naive. I am not nor ever will be the swimming equal of Phelps or the running equal of Bolt. The Lord declared that there are many degrees of intelligence.God is a respecter of persons,not by rank or lineage but by the spiritual respect and obedience shown Him.

Archived