8 Weeks On My Back...Drepression Setting In!

Just consigned to another month. I spend 22 hours a day, going broke...not sure how much more I can take. What to do? On August 2...then will talk surgery after MRI. I thought that was slated for last appointment. Going to Mother's house tomorrow just to lie in floor.

Okay Pa Pa... don't go getting all depressed. Take it one step at a time and realize that there will be an end to this soon... think if you were in a wheelchair. I don't like to pull the old "look around, someone is always worse off than you... be thankful routine. But it is true. Soon you'll be able to be up and around. What if you never could?

So say your prayers and face forward with a attitude of gratitude that it isn't any worse.

There... that's your pep talk... prayers are with you...

GG

Okay Pa Pa... don't go getting all depressed. Take it one step at a time and realize that there will be an end to this soon... think if you were in a wheelchair. I don't like to pull the old "look around, someone is always worse off than you... be thankful routine. But it is true. Soon you'll be able to be up and around. What if you never could?

So say your prayers and face forward with a attitude of gratitude that it isn't any worse.

There... that's your pep talk... prayers are with you...

GG

Then there will be recovery from surgery. I know you are right, but it is hard to bare.

I don't know what to say, to cheer you up, Papa. Wish I had a magic pill. I know this must all be very difficult, especially, the financial part. You have my prayers. (And GG is right, but I know that's probably not what you want to hear). What is that saying about asking God to help us change the things we can and give us the strength to bear what we cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference (something like that). Hardship is supposed to make us strong...and it also helps us appreciate the good times.

Did any of that cheer you up?

Probably not! Sorry! :)

If you still have your mother, that's pretty wonderful! Mine passed six years ago and I still miss her. Would love to go lay on her floor. You are blessed! :)

Just consigned to another month. I spend 22 hours a day, going broke...not sure how much more I can take. What to do? On August 2...then will talk surgery after MRI. I thought that was slated for last appointment. Going to Mother's house tomorrow just to lie in floor.

Hi Pa Pa, I once had to spend 6 weeks on bedrest and it was tough, so I have a little bit of an idea of how you might be feeling. I read books and watched a lot of movies to take my mind off the boredom and frustration. Hopefully things will improve for you after the next month and you can get your life back on track. Sorry I don't have any words of wisdom, but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers - I won't forget because I read here most nights before going to bed. Keep your spirits up.

How much movement are you allowed? Do they require you to do so much walking a day? I am wondering because a good friend just broke his back (shattered a vertebra) and is now in a turtle shell (he chose camo as the colour---he's a paramedic/cop recently turned firefighter) and my husband got him a teenage mutant ninja turtle mask to go with it), but they have him doing laps around the nurses' station. They are talking about him coming home soon so I am wondering about what his routine will be like.

If you still have your mother, that's pretty wonderful! Mine passed six years ago and I still miss her. Would love to go lay on her floor. You are blessed! :)

I also lost my mom a few years ago. I hope you're able to get whatever kind of respite possible in her home. Your situation is so tough. It sounds like the MRI was postponed. Usually the not knowing is cause for depression.

I can certainly understand your discouragement PaPa and without amazing support depression could easily set in. I can't imagine the pain you may be in or the frustration of being laid up but to top off the financial burden could overwhelming. I wish I could send you a cheque to cover your bills so that you could just focus on getting better. I don't have that kind of money but I do worship the God who created and can sustain anything. I will continue to pray for your recovery and the journey through it.

Unusual that you are consigned to bed rest. Most studies show that immobility does not help.

Well it is bed or the floor watching TV...while up in back-brace. Can't ride far without...PAIN! So bed is where the pain is lowest. I have to keep my knee's elevated because of spasims.

My dad fell out of a tree when he was 17. He broke his back and was in a full body cast for two years. Your story reminded me of it. His mom moved his bed in the living room where he could look out the window and see life going on a little better. He told me one day his dad drove up the drive way in my dad's new convertible with one of his lambs in the back seat and they had just been to the vet. So my dad had to watch his new car being used as farm equipment, he laughed about it later. Years later he had to have several surgeries on his back which caused scar tissue. The pain was still unbearable and the doctor told him to go on disability since each day after work he was drenched in sweat. But to a man this proved to be just as hard, to watch my mom go out to work to put food on the table. He became very depressed. I think in this day and age the prognosis for your situation should prove to be much better with surgery not being quite as invasive.

Edited by Tacenda

Watch the Ring trilogy two or three times, and start reading Patrick O'Bryan books (Master and Commander).

Then watch all the Marx Bros. movies and the old Our Gang series, then Singing in the Rain.

Best wishes and get well!

Bernard

Throw in some Shirley Temple movies for good measure. They're always uplifting and have happy endings! I watched "Heidi", today, with my four year old granddaughter. Such fun! :)

Tacenda, that's awful about your dad! I cannot even imagine two years in a full body cast!

Edited by Libs

Hi there, it must be terrible to be in your position, I hope the situation is better for you soon

Throw in some Shirley Temple movies for good measure. They're always uplifting and have happy endings! I watched "Heidi", today, with my four year old granddaughter. Such fun! :)

Tacenda, that's awful about your dad! I cannot even imagine two years in a full body cast!

My wife bought me a set of DVD's of old movies for my birthday...many Shirley Temple movies in it.

My wife was hit by a car when she was 8 and had to wear one for about 8 months.

Pa Pa, I'm praying that you get better soon!