Adam And Michael

So out of curiosity, I was wondering what other writings/sources besides LDS materials identifies Adam as the Archangel Michael. I know that along with LDS, other traditions place a high emphasis on the Archangel Michael (especially Catholicism and Orthodoxy) but I'm pretty sure that they don't consider Michael and Adam the same. I know Hugh Nibley referenced an apocryphal work in one of his books that hinted at that, but I don't recall what that reference was. I know there are several board members who are considerably well versed in ancient documents, so let me know what your opinion is!

So out of curiosity, I was wondering what other writings/sources besides LDS materials identifies Adam as the Archangel Michael. I know that along with LDS, other traditions place a high emphasis on the Archangel Michael (especially Catholicism and Orthodoxy) but I'm pretty sure that they don't consider Michael and Adam the same. I know Hugh Nibley referenced an apocryphal work in one of his books that hinted at that, but I don't recall what that reference was. I know there are several board members who are considerably well versed in ancient documents, so let me know what your opinion is!

I just did a Bing search on "LDS: adam is michael" and got two good LDS hits. Here are quotes from them:

Indeed, Adam was very special and very important. Before coming into mortality, he was known as Michael. The Prophet Joseph Smith clearly identifies both Adam and Michael as one and the same person, an angel, the chief angel, or archangel, of heaven, the special servant of God and Christ.

When Michael came into mortality he was known as Adam, the first man, but he was still his own self. Although he was given another name, that of Adam, he did not change his identity.

After his mortal death he resumed his position as an angel in the heavens, once again serving as the chief angel, or archangel, and took again his former name of Michael.

In his capacity as archangel, Adam, or Michael, will yet perform a mighty mission in the coming years, both before and after the Millennium. This is startling, but the scriptures declare it.

Adam, the Archangel

Elder Mark E. Petersen

Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Also:

Few persons in all eternity have been more directly involved in the plan of salvation—the creation, the fall, and the ultimate redemption of the children of God—than the man Adam. His ministry among the sons and daughters of earth stretches from the distant past of premortality to the distant future of resurrection, judgment, and beyond.

As Michael, the archangel, Adam led the forces of God against the armies of Lucifer in the War in Heaven. Under the direction of Elohim and Jehovah, he assisted in the creation of the earth. After taking physical bodies, Adam and Eve brought mortality into being through partaking of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. With the fall of our first parents came blood and posterity and probation and death, as well as the need for redemption through a Savior, a “last Adam.”

The Man Adam

By Robert L. Millet

However, it is my understanding that outside the LDS doctrines, Michael is not taught of as being Adam. in fact traditional Christianity has moved far away from even thinking that man can be angels. To them these are two separate beings in existence. when I searched "who is michael in catholicism", I got a hit from the New Advent website which may cite your Nibley reference:

(3) In the Catholic Epistle of St. Jude: "When Michael the Archangel, disputing with the devil, contended about the body of Moses", etc. St. Jude alludes to an ancient Jewish tradition of a dispute between Michael and Satan over the body of Moses, an account of which is also found in the apocryphal book on the assumption of Moses (Origen, De Principiis III.2.2). St. Michael concealed the tomb of Moses; Satan, however, by disclosing it, tried to seduce the Jewish people to the sin of hero-worship. St. Michael also guards the body of Eve, according to the "Revelation of Moses" ("Apocryphal Gospels", etc., ed. A. Walker, Edinburgh, p. 647).

St. Michael the Archangel

I know of no other religion that believes Michael and Adam are one and the same. In fact, some early Christian documents have the two as separate beings (First Book of Adam and Eve, as an example of this).

That man and angels are two separate beings for Jews and traditional Christianity, means they will not see Adam as Michael, or vice versa. That Joseph Smith first had to learn that gods, angels and man are all of the same genus and DNA structure, means that you do not see that in the earliest LDS writings (such as the Book of Mormon), either.

The fact is, this is something revealed in the last days. You will also note that traditional Christians do not have an official belief in baptisms for the dead, eternal marriage, etc.

The bigger question is this.... Is Tinky Winky really a teletubby or did he and Jack Bauer infiltrate Teletubbyland aka: Kolob under the guise of saving the planet from THE NOO-NOO?

Check out this blog post for a history of how Michael became associated with Adam in LDS thought - Understanding the Fall in Mormonism - Part III: Adam to Michael. (It wasn't the same time as the Adam = Ancient of Days connection. That began as a speculation by Sidney Rigdon!)

Really a great source you have found- that's a very cool site.

It seems clear that the whole doctrine of the pre-existence had to be revealed before the association between any archangels and any earthly individuals could possibly have been made.

There are traditionally 7 archangels and 7 dispensations if I am not mistaken. Does that mean Joseph was one of the archangels?

Really a great source you have found- that's a very cool site.

It seems clear that the whole doctrine of the pre-existence had to be revealed before the association between any archangels and any earthly individuals could possibly have been made.

There are traditionally 7 archangels and 7 dispensations if I am not mistaken. Does that mean Joseph was one of the archangels?

Probably, I'm guessing Raphael is Enoch and the other four (whose angelic names vary from source to source) are Abraham, Moses, Peter, and Joseph Smith. I really hope Moses is called Metatron because I just love that name.

There are traditionally 7 archangels and 7 dispensations if I am not mistaken. Does that mean Joseph was one of the archangels

I find it interesting that the common interpretation of dispensations doesn't center them around a prophet. Adam for example was involved in 2 dispensations. Of course a similar idea to ours is present in Oliver's "Antiquities of Freemasonry," but I've always been fascinated by the concept. I grew up around a lot of Druze. One of their teachings is that God reveals truth in stages, that is, dispensations, each headed by a different prophet. There were 7 of these dispensational prophets, the first being Adam; then Noah; Abraham; Moses; Jesus; Muhamad; and last but not least, Muhamad ibn Ismail. I haven't included Caliph al-Haqim b'Amr Allah, as he was considered the visible manifestation of God on earth. There were other prophets active, Jethro being the most beloved one.

I've heard the name associated with both Enoch and Moses but more with Moses but that may be a function of what I read and not based on actual usage.

Intriguing, as I've never seen it used for Moses. Do you know of a source?

Jethro being the most beloved one.

I am quite a fan of Jethro- my understanding is that the Midianites were among the first worshipers of Yahweh, that Midian was a son of Abraham, and that is the way he got the priesthood - is that how you understand it?

I guess Sinai is in what was "Midian"?

Outside of LDS beliefs, i do not think that there is any source that claims Michael is Adam.

But, in the literature, Michael is connected with two individuals constantly: satan (or samael) and Adam. He fights satan for the souls of men and he visits Adam to give messages from God.

In LDS views, he is also connected with those same to individuals. He does fight for the souls of men against Lucifer but he is not a messenger from God to Adam, but is actually Adam.

Again- regarding Jethro- I wonder how others interpret this one: Exodus 3:1

Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the west side of the desert, and came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb.

Now what priesthood was this that this Midianite had? We of course know it was what we call the Melchizadek priesthood, and Jethro was the one who ordained Moses- yet I wonder what other churches make of that verse?

Mormonism appears to be uniqu in identifying Michael as Adam. Another interesting question is, Are there any other churches/religions which offer to Adam the same reverential treatment that is afforded to him in Mormonism? In all other Christian churches as far as I know, Adam is very much despised, denigrated, even ridiculed for bringing on mankind the Fall, and all troubles associated with it. Mormonism is unique in assigning to Adam the high status it does. Are there any other churches/religions that do that? You may be interested to know that there is, and that is Islam. In Islam Adam is treated as a prophet, and very much revered and honored like the great patriarchs, Abraham, Moses, Enoch, and others. He is certainly not despised nor denigrated.

Edited by zerinus