Seriously No Politics ×

Letter Regarding Name Submissions: Was It Read In Sacrament Today?

I've heard mixed reports from around the globe regarding the reading of this letter in Sacrament meetings today:

http://www.mormonnew...ames-ordinances

What happened in your wards today? Was the letter read from the pulpit or in other meetings?

H.

Aren't you one of the persons who submitted Holocaust victims' names to the Church, recently, and then posted a boast about it? I'm fascinated to know whether you oppose the Church's ban on such submissions? And how you circumvented the software bar?

Edited by Bob Crockett

Aren't you one of the persons who submitted Holocaust victims' names to the Church, recently, and then posted a boast about it? I'm fascinated to know whether you oppose the Church's ban on such submissions? And how you circumvented the software bar?

The mods told me not boast about it. I didn't think I was boasting, but I'm not about to argue that point. If there is sufficient interest, I actually wrote the whole procedure up with screenshots and posted it online.

However, I will note ahead of time, I am only going to link to the post if requested, so that I am not accused of boastful behaviour.

H.

I was at another ward for a baby blessing in SLC, and they read it. Along with the letter about attending the political caucuses in UT on the 13th and 15th. When that letter came up a few nights ago, it was noted that cancelling church activites on the 13th, the night of the Democratic caucuses, was kind of silly. I'd be surpirsed if we have five Dems in our ward. North Utah County and all that. The bishop just chuckled and said to cancel YM/YW anyway.

OK, I am only doing this because you asked:

MormonSlides

H.

Wow. Thanks! It has been awhile since I submitted any names to temple ready so I didn't remember what the different boxes/pages said during the process. I knew I didn't remember there being a warning about Holocaust names.

This is a very simple system. I've been working with it as long as it's been out in my area and as a volunteer in the Family History Center. I see how easy it is to abuse all the time.

I think it is a pretty tough line for the Church to walk. They have to make attempts to protect people who don't wish to be Baptized but at the same time they have to have a system that is user friendly and easy enough for common people who aren't computer experts to use. At some point you just have to trust the membership to do the right thing.

I think it is a pretty tough line for the Church to walk. They have to make attempts to protect people who don't wish to be Baptized but at the same time they have to have a system that is user friendly and easy enough for common people who aren't computer experts to use. At some point you just have to trust the membership to do the right thing.

This isn't an 'or' scenario. FamilySearch can be easy to use for genealogists of all stripes AND prevent restricted submissions. It's not an unsolvable problem.

H.

This isn't an 'or' scenario. FamilySearch can be easy to use for genealogists of all stripes AND prevent restricted submissions. It's not an unsolvable problem.

H.

I'm sure that is true but I certainly don't have enough expertise to recommend a better solution.

deleted

Edited by mfbukowski
The mods told me not boast about it. I didn't think I was boasting, but I'm not about to argue that point. If there is sufficient interest, I actually wrote the whole procedure up with screenshots and posted it online.

However, I will note ahead of time, I am only going to link to the post if requested, so that I am not accused of boastful behaviour.

H.

I notice you avoided part of Bob's question. Do you, or do you not, oppose the Church's stand on inappropriate submissions such as the one you are obviously so very proud of?

So proud, in fact, that you created your own "Inappropriate Name Submissions for Dummies" website.

The sort of thing someone would do if they were trying to encourage others to do such things.

Regards,

Pahoran

I notice you avoided part of Bob's question. Do you, or do you not, oppose the Church's stand on inappropriate submissions such as the one you are obviously so very proud of?

So proud, in fact, that you created your own "Inappropriate Name Submissions for Dummies" website.

The sort of thing someone would do if they were trying to encourage others to do such things.

Regards,

Pahoran

I do believe the church should do something to respect the families of Holocaust victims and survivors. I do not support the notion that the members should be threatened with disciplinary action if they violate policy.

H.