Who Says The Church Doesn'T Love All Of The Attention From The Bom Musical?

Craig Paxton

The church is taking full advantage of all of the attention from the success of the Book of Mormon Musical...see the new ads they've place in no other place than "New York-Broadway's Time Square". They're even spending $1,000,000 of your tithing donations to take advantage of all of the publicity.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/52005719-78/church-mormon-lds-musical.html.csp

CFR that they have used tithing for these adds.

The church is taking full advantage of all of the attention from the success of the Book of Mormon Musical...see the new ads they've place in no other place than "New York-Broadway's Time Square". They're even spending $1,000,000 of your tithing donations to take advantage of all of the publicity.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/52005719-78/church-mormon-lds-musical.html.csp

Actually, if I were given a vote on how my tithing money was spent, Times Square ads near The Book of Mormon musical would be towards the top of the list.

They should take it a step further and make ads that focus on letting people know about the humanitarian work in Africa and other parts of the world*:

Gallons of clean drinking water distributed - 100,000

Lessons on hygiene and efficient farming methods given - 10,000

Volunteer hours performing non-proselyting humanitarian work - 250,000

Hygiene and infant kits distributed - 1,000,000

Percentage of money and hours donated by LDS church members - all of it

And we didn't even need to change our message. ;)

Something like that.

*All figures are made up.

Does it bother you?

A friend of mine suggested that the church plant missionaries, in front of the play, and pass out "free books" afterwards. It's possible some people may be curious about the real thing, after seeing this play.

These advertising campaigns are partnered with the Missionary Department. Tithing funds can be and are distributed to the Missionary Department.

So there is a possibility that tithing is used but there is nothing definitive? IOW it still seems like an assertion. Either way I would not be bothered. I just take issue with some assertions.

Nobody said the Church doesn't love the publicity. Next false assertion?

Well said Cinepro - I may toss in a few extra $ in the envelope to cover part of the billboard.

Yea, we love being lampooned.

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. :good:

If they are going to make a raucous musical about mormons and it gets lots of publicity, we would be stupid not to try and take advantage of the interest generated. It's called missionary work and it's part of the four fold mission of the church, so naturally the church spends tithing funds on it--a lot of tithing funds. Do you disagree with this?

So there is a possibility that tithing is used but there is nothing definitive? IOW it still seems like an assertion. Either way I would not be bothered. I just take issue with some assertions.

That's the awesome thing about closed books. Everything is an "unproved assertion" if you want it to be.

I have had enough experience handling church funds on a local level and I have had discussions with people working in Church Headquarters (bureaucrats not brethren) that I know the Church is very, very, very particular and careful about what they spend funds on.

I know Craig is relatively new to being a faithful critic blog warrier but he's falling into a typical patern of "doesn't this shock you and if not why not?" approach to ministering to the Mormons. That only traps the those who have their testimony based on things of this world (leaders, organization, culture) and not of God (revelation, Christ).

Yeah, Craig! The church should just roll over and let The Book of Mormon musical teach people about what we believe. :P Also, the money spent on advertising the musical could have been used to help starving children in Africa.

Yeah, Craig! The church should just roll over and let The Book of Mormon musical teach people about what we believe. :P Also, the money spent on advertising the musical could have been used to help starving children in Africa.

Morningstar…Did I say something that offended you? I merely pointed out that the church is obviously enjoying all the publicity produced from the popularity of the Book of Mormon musical and is taking advantage of it by spending $1,000,000 in an advertising campaign.

To answer a few other questions directed at me:

01. Bluebell, No it does not offend me for the church to spend their money…they can do whatever they like with it…after all it is theirs, freely donated from its membership.

02. Mola Ram, CFR on the tithing use claim?…Mola Ram, can you give me another source of income that the church has that isn’t or didn’t originally come from tithing? Which is why I feel the whole claim that the down town mall is being built with non tithing dollars is somewhat disingenuous.

03. Cinepro…you left out one other statistic…since 1985 the church has donated 1.3 billion in worldwide humanitarian aid. That’s $5.08 per member per year. Impressive. I'm very comforted to know that of the tens of thousands in tithing I donated each year...that $5.08 of it went to humanitarian aid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_membership_history#LDS_Church_membership_numbers http://lds.org/church/statistics?lang=eng&query=humanitarian+aid

Morningstar, How ironic that you quote Jesus on your post...

“A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another”. ~ John 13:34

Correct me if I'm mistaken...but I'm not feeling your love...

LDSToronto:

I didn't say it was my money, and even if it was I still stand by the priciple that few appreciate unsolicited for free advice on how to spend their own money.

Of course, the Church didn't close the books in reaction to people offering unsolicited advice...

02. Mola Ram, CFR on the tithing use claim?…Mola Ram, can you give me another source of income that the church has that isn’t or didn’t originally come from tithing? Which is why I feel the whole claim that the down town mall is being built with non tithing dollars is somewhat disingenuous.

There have been and are many individuals who make gifts to the Church over the years in property, stock and money that have nothing to do with tithing and allow the Church to do with it what they want as opposed to go into a specified fund.

I couldn't be more pleased that the Church is trying to make good use of the publicity and conversations generated by The Book of Mormon:

http://www.mormontimes.com/article/19393/Anti-Mormon-mockery-can-actually-lead-to-teaching-moments

I'll be happy, incidentally, to start a sixth thread about this musical if somebody else will start the fourth and fifth. Anybody up for a seventh?

I couldn't be more pleased that the Church is trying to make good use of the publicity and conversations generated by The Book of Mormon:

http://www.mormontimes.com/article/19393/Anti-Mormon-mockery-can-actually-lead-to-teaching-moments

I'll be happy, incidentally, to start a sixth thread about this musical if somebody else will start the fourth and fifth. Anybody up for a seventh?

No kidding. I for one am shocked - shocked!- that an LDS themed message board is showing such interest in a critically lauded musical playing on broadway to packed houses called "The Book of Mormon" that won 9 Tony awards 3 days ago.

Nothing to talk about here people. Get over it.

Archived