Seriously No Politics ×

"smithmas": A Perennial Anti-Mormon Lie

I'm going to start rather early this year to head off the perennial anti-Mormon lie that Latter-day Saint observance of the birthday of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Dec. 23, overshadows the observance of the birth of Christ.

In support of my point, I present this link to a blog written a year ago by Daniel Peterson.

Dan makes the obvious point that among the Latter-day Saints, there is scarcely ever a mention of the birth of Joseph Smith at this time of year, let alone an observance of it that overshadows Christmas. Moreover, I believe that in almost every instance, the purveyors of this nonsense know better and hence are deliberately and purposefully endeavoring to mislead the public.

But, hey, when did such people ever let the truth get in the way of a good slander? Or fail to subscribe to the notion  that one way to get people to believe falsehood is to repeat it incessantly?

I know that I've never seen a celebration of JS's birth in my circle of family and friends.  If there were, I'd remember, because mine is on the 24th and I think that it would have come up.  Seriously, never even heard it mentioned! 

For some, a sacrament meeting with topics around Joseph  Smith, or a lesson, are enough to support the allegation that lds worship the prophet of the restoration.   And we do sometimes have lessons or sacrament meetings on him in December because of his birthdate in December.

I know it will never happen , but I would like to see the birth of Christ celebrated on some other day than Dec 25. Perhaps Jan 6 . The season has become so unChristlike that the secular has almost obliterated the reason for the season. I know that it is up to us to make Christmas what it should be but I often think we are straightening deck chairs on the Titanic. We could make Easter a much more important time if we were to celebrate the birth, death and resurrection of Christ at that time. Ya , I know ,I'm spittin' in the wind.

Edited by strappinglad

sounds like a straw man to me. show me where someone says that all mormons put more stock in JS's birthday than JC's .

Google the search string "Merry Smithmas" "Mormon" and "Joseph Smith." Then report back to us on what you come up with.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

For some, a sacrament meeting with topics around Joseph  Smith, or a lesson, are enough to support the allegation that lds worship the prophet of the restoration.   And we do sometimes have lessons or sacrament meetings on him in December because of his birthdate in December.

The notion that Latter-day Saints worship Joseph Smith (as opposed to honoring and respecting him) is nearly as transparent a falsehood as the charge that Mormons' observance of his birth eclipses the celebration of Christmas.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Generally, I think the anti's over do it a little on Joseph, but I think maybe the church over did it a little on the bicentennial of his birth in 2005.

There were soooo many stories and magazines dedicated to him that year that I figured (hoped?) that at least they would leave the Christmas issue of the Ensign to the Savior..........

Here's a small image of the cover (wish I could have found a larger).

Maybe next time they could find some other obscure reason to celebrate the prophet.......like the bicentennial of the date he had surgery on his leg. That would convince those anti's that LDS aren't over enthralled with Joseph........ :pirate:

http://uwire.com/2013/07/24/bicentennial-of-joseph-smith-surgery-celebrated-with-5k-run/

ensign-2005-dec.jpg

Edited by Palerider

Generally, I think the anti's over do it a little on Joseph, but I think maybe the church over did it a little on the bicentennial of his birth in 2005

I'll quote from two posts I made to this board on this topic about two years ago:

Shame on those LDS leaders for doing something unusual to observe the bicentennial of the birth of the prophet of the Restoration.

And ...

But doesn't it seem rather unremarkable that the Church would make "a big deal out of" a landmark anniversary such as a bicentennial regardless of when in the calendar year it occurred? What "big deal" has been made out of it in other years?

There were soooo many stories and magazines dedicated to him that year that I figured (hoped?) that at least they would leave the Christmas issue of the Ensign to the Savior..........

Other than the Ensign issue you displayed and the satellite telecast from Vermont on Joseph's birth date, can you link to or cite a significant and representative sample  any of the allegedly numerous "stories and magazines dedicated to him that year"?

By the way, I looked at the table of contents from that December 2005 edition of the Ensign:

Of 20 items in that issue, I note that four of them pertain to Joseph Smith.

That hardly amounts to dedicating the whole issue to him.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

you google it. i'm not the one making the claim

Less confident, are you, in your claim of this being a straw man?

But in this instance, I'm happy to do your work for you.

I did the Google search. I got tired of counting and stopped at 20 hits on the first three pages, all 20 from critical, anti-Mormon or apostate Mormon sources. I'm confident I could have continued to count and gotten many more. As it was, the endeavor took me about two minutes, if that.

Here in Ohio no would understand "merry smithmas," but I have been tempted to put up a sign in the yard saying "Happy Birthday Joseph Smith."  My wife says she would divorce me, though.  I find that I can rile people up plenty just by saying "Merry X-Mas" or "Happy Holy-Days." 

Google the search string "Merry Smithmas" "Mormon" and "Joseph Smith." Then report back to us on what you come up with.

In the last 6 months there have been three mentions on the entire internet of your search string. One is this thread (google's quick), another is an apologetics website and there's one reference to it on the exmormon forum.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Merry+Smithmas%22+%22Mormon%22+and+%22Joseph+Smith%22&espv=210&es_sm=93&biw=1366&bih=666&sa=X&ei=3FOeUp-nFISrhQeFnIHICQ&ved=0CB8QpwUoBg&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A03%2F06%2F2013%2Ccd_max%3A03%2F12%2F2013&tbm=

During Nov-Dec 2012 there were about seven references on the whole internet to your search term. Half of them were apologetics.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Merry+Smithmas%22+%22Mormon%22+and+%22Joseph+Smith%22&espv=210&es_sm=93&biw=1366&bih=666&sa=X&ei=CFSeUsGtLuXE7Abr1oCQBA&ved=0CCEQpwUoBg&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A01%2F11%2F2012%2Ccd_max%3A31%2F12%2F2012&tbm=

I had no idea when JS's birthday was and I've never heard of "smithmas." But thanks for the link. If this year is an exception and people mention it I'll refer them to your link.

I'll quote from two posts I made to this board on this topic about two years ago:

And ...

Other than the Ensign issue you displayed and the satellite telecast from Vermont on Joseph's birth date, can you link to or cite a significant and representative sample  any of the allegedly numerous "stories and magazines dedicated to him that year"?

Here are the Ensign covers for January, May, and August of 2005, all featuring Joseph prominently on the cover. Do you suppose there is any mention in any of the articles in these editions of the Bicentennial of his birth? That would make four (4) Ensign covers featuring Joseph in one year. I'm betting that if I go through all of the articles in those editions I would find quite a few mentions regarding his bicentennial. But I'll let you do that....... 

Also I watched with great interest this Symposium at the Library of congress that was co-sponsered by BYU on "The world of Joseph Smith"

http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2005/05-038.html

ensign-2005-jan.jpg

ensign-2005-may.jpg

ensign-2005-aug.jpg

Here are the Ensign covers for January, May, and August of 2005, all featuring Joseph prominently on the cover. Do you suppose there is any mention in any of the articles in these editions of the Bicentennial of his birth? That would make four (4) Ensign covers featuring Joseph in one year. I'm betting that if I go through all of the articles in those editions I would find quite a few mentions regarding his bicentennial. But I'll let you do that....... 

Also I watched with great interest this Symposium at the Library of congress that was co-sponsered by BYU on "The world of Joseph Smith"

http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2005/05-038.html

ensign-2005-jan.jpg

ensign-2005-may.jpg

ensign-2005-aug.jpg

Are these issues of the magazine "devoted" to Joseph Smith?

And again, why should we regard it as unusual that there would be a focus on the Prophet in the bicentennial year of his birth? How does that justify the "Smithmas" falsehood?

In the last 6 months there have been three mentions on the entire internet of your search string. One is this thread (google's quick), another is an apologetics website and there's one reference to it on the exmormon forum.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Merry+Smithmas%22+%22Mormon%22+and+%22Joseph+Smith%22&espv=210&es_sm=93&biw=1366&bih=666&sa=X&ei=3FOeUp-nFISrhQeFnIHICQ&ved=0CB8QpwUoBg&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A03%2F06%2F2013%2Ccd_max%3A03%2F12%2F2013&tbm=

Of course. They wait until this time of year to bring it up.

That's why I said I'm mentioning it now: to head off the perennial nonsense.

That's quite a few in a year. And it could be that recent endeavors to brand it as the lie that it is are having some effect in stemming the tide.

Sounds to me like someone with the Ricky Bobby mentality, preferring to always think of Jesus as a wee baby.  When we honor the birth and life of Joseph Smith in December we are honoring him because of what Jesus Christ did through him, and what Joseph did with the help of Jesus Christ.  It's not like we're leaving Jesus out of the picture. We're honoring him because of what we know Jesus did through him.

Never heard of the term "smithmas" before, though.  I think I'll still go on thinking the spirit of the Christmas season is the spirit of Jesus Christ.

Are these issues of the magazine "devoted" to Joseph Smith?

And again, why should we regard it as unusual that there would be a focus on the Prophet in the bicentennial year of his birth? How does that justify the "Smithmas" falsehood?

They are at least devoted to him by implication of his accomlishments.

But that being said, I don't have a problem with giving some extra attention to someone who has done alot to advance their religion and the "Smithmas" falsehood is most likely not justified.

I do recall reading a statement by President Kimball one time that warned of the evils of "enthrallment" when we give too much influence to personalities. But I'm sure he wasn't thinking of Joseph at the time he wrote it.   

JS birth is of little importance. In fact, I agree with a CES teacher that JS should play a much lesser part in contemporary Mormonism and put sole emphasis on Jesus, scripture and the magisterium that has developed from the first century.

I agree with this completely except "magisterium" seems to relate to the power of the Roman Catholic church to teach authoritatively.

Can't quite get there......

I did the Google search. I got tired of counting and stopped at 20 hits on the first three pages, all 20 from critical, anti-Mormon or apostate Mormon sources. I'm confident I could have continued to count and gotten many more. As it was, the endeavor took me about two minutes, if that.

so are you going to share the links, or just claim they exist?

Cut and paste "Merry Smithmas" "Mormon" and "Joseph Smith" into your search window.  You have already been given that information.  We do not allow links to sites that contain temple content so that is all you will get.  And if you continue to come out swinging you will be banned from the thread and possibly the board.  We have had enough of the attitude.

I just googled "Smithmas."  The first hit was an article at "bycommonconsent.com", and the second was a definition at Urban Dictionary.  Not having ever heard the term "Smithmas" before, I was curious what it means.  The official definition is:

Refers to December 25th, 2010 when all the Whovians will come together to celebrate Matt Smith's first Christmas on Doctor Who.
Person 1: I am so excited for Christmas

Person 2: But I thought you were Jewish

Person 3: Well I'm more excited about Smithmas

I just googled "Smithmas Mormon" and the following was on the first page:

1- A pro-Mormon blog

2- The exmormon site

3- A link to this very thread here

4-6 Anti-Mormon blogs (I think)

7-8 Two posts on Dan Peterson's blog

9- The "trailerpark", where the OP asks the question of whether the'll celebrate Dec 23 as "Smithness" in his ward, and which he returns and reports, "No Smithmas at the Dec 23rd service. I was pleasantly surprised." 

10- Anti-Mormon blog

So 4 of the top 10 hits were pro-Mormon. 

Calling this a "perennial lie" seems to be an exageration.

Generally, I think the anti's over do it a little on Joseph, but I think maybe the church over did it a little on the bicentennial of his birth in 2005.

Here's a small image of the cover (wish I could have found a larger).

Maybe next time they could find some other obscure reason to celebrate the prophet.......like the bicentennial of the date he had surgery on his leg. That would convince those anti's that LDS aren't over enthralled with Joseph........ :pirate:

http://uwire.com/2013/07/24/bicentennial-of-joseph-smith-surgery-celebrated-with-5k-run/

ensign-2005-dec.jpg

It was my recollection that the "Smithmas" meme among the anti-mormons started in 2005, where some people were a little worn out by the year of Joseph's jubilee, and having it capped off with a December Ensign with Joseph on the cover was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I think everyone is just so used to having a Christ-themed Ensign cover in December (or even the occasional winter/Temple theme) that it was just too unusual.

But before or after that, I can scarcely remember Joseph's birth ever being mentioned.  If I'm asked to substitute for a youth class, I always do a "great dates in Church history" lesson, and heaven knows that none of the youth have the foggiest idea of when he was born.

It was my recollection that the "Smithmas" meme among the anti-mormons started in 2005, where some people were a little worn out by the year of Joseph's jubilee, and having it capped off with a December Ensign with Joseph on the cover was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I think everyone is just so used to having a Christ-themed Ensign cover in December (or even the occasional winter/Temple theme) that it was just too unusual.

But before or after that, I can scarcely remember Joseph's birth ever being mentioned.  If I'm asked to substitute for a youth class, I always do a "great dates in Church history" lesson, and heaven knows that none of the youth have the foggiest idea of when he was born.

So were you sympathetic to those who thought it was a little over the top? Or kind of neither here nor there? 

The notion that Latter-day Saints worship Joseph Smith (as opposed to honoring and respecting him) is nearly as transparent a falsehood as the charge that Mormons' observance of his birth eclipses the celebration of Christmas.

Indeed.  Here are some of my thoughts on the matter.

http://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2013/06/23/why-mormons-revere-joseph-smith/