Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Church service the first day of the new year.


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Raingirl said:

And what “story” would that be? Ordinances are the same the world over. 

Well Raingirl. They said to me that when i will be baptized and received the holy ghost i would get the card. So that i can inter the temple. And they have told me also that they would come with me the first time when we will go to the temple. 

Both missionaries are from US (fortunately not Portugees🥳) so i don't assume that they don't know what they are talking about don't you think Raingirl. 

I am sure you would understand. 

Edited by Dario_M
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dario_M said:

Well Raingirl. They said to me that when i will be baptized and received the holy ghost i would get the card. So that i can inter the temple. And they have told me also that they would come with me the first time when we will go to the temple. 

Both missionaries are from US (fortunately not Portugees🥳) so i don't assume that they don't know what they are talking about don't you think Raingirl. 

I am sure you would understand. 

The missionaries were probably talking about the limited temple recommend that Raingirl mentioned.  This allows you to enter the temple with the missionaries to do baptisms for the dead.  There are other ordinances that you can do for yourself in the temple, but Raingirl is right, you have to be a member for 1 year before you can perform those other ordinances. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Dario_M said:

Well Raingirl. They said to me that when i will be baptized and received the holy ghost i would get the card. So that i can inter the temple. And they have told me also that they would come with me the first time when we will go to the temple. 

Both missionaries are from US (fortunately not Portugees🥳) so i don't assume that they don't know what they are talking about don't you think Raingirl. 

I am sure you would understand. 

You have clearly not understood what the missionaries said about temple recommends, as you have also clearly misunderstood other things about the church.  
 

As previously stated, ordinances in the church are the same the world over. A full temple recommend cannot be obtained until you have been a member for at least a year. Even then, it is not guaranteed. There are things you must learn, requirements you must meet, and interviews you must go through. 
 

Youth and new members may receive a limited recommend to do baptisms only. That is at the discretion of the bishop. 
 

You can find this and much other information on the church website.  Or will you refuse to believe what’s written there as well?

What I “understand” is that I will not further engage with you, as I find your condescension off-putting. 

Posted
1 hour ago, pogi said:

The missionaries were probably talking about the limited temple recommend that Raingirl mentioned.  This allows you to enter the temple with the missionaries to do baptisms for the dead.  There are other ordinances that you can do for yourself in the temple, but Raingirl is right, you have to be a member for 1 year before you can perform those other ordinances. 

But i don't wanna go to the Temple to work. I just wanna visit the temple without doing anything. Just to see the place and pray a little and meet other people (church members).

I wanna go to the temple on the same way i also would visit a museum.

But to visit a museum i need to pay money. To visit the temple (in my case) i don't need to pay money because i am a member of this church. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dario_M said:

But i don't wanna go to the Temple to work. I just wanna visit the temple without doing anything. Just to see the place and pray a little and meet other people (church members).

I wanna go to the temple on the same way i also would visit a museum.

But to visit a museum i need to pay money. To visit the temple (in my case) i don't need to pay money because i am a member of this church. 

Here are some resources you can use to find out about the purpose of temples.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/temples?lang=eng

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dario_M said:

Btw i can not Baptize anybody because i don't have the priesterhood yet. 

You can be baptized for loved ones who have passed on in the temple.  

Posted

I’m pretty sure you pay something somewhere to attend the temple. 
 

You won’t be invited to a temple just to look inside like a museum.  That’s not what the temple is for.  The “work” in the temple is actually simply participating in the rituals.  It’s very easy. 

Posted
42 minutes ago, Dario_M said:

Btw i can not Baptize anybody because i don't have the priesterhood yet. 

Your first step then should be to speak to your bishop or branch president about being ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood.  In order to receive a temple recommend a male needs to be an ordained to the priesthood first.

Posted
2 hours ago, pogi said:

You can be baptized for loved ones who have passed on in the temple.  

I can not baptize people who have passed away in the temple because i did not received the Priesterhood yet. 

Posted
1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

I’m pretty sure you pay something somewhere to attend the temple. 
 

You won’t be invited to a temple just to look inside like a museum.  That’s not what the temple is for.  The “work” in the temple is actually simply participating in the rituals.  It’s very easy. 

That is not really what i want on the moment.

I am also sick a lot of the times and extremaly dizzy. I suffer from that for longer then 2 years now. I am afrait that i simply will not have the energie to do that unfortunately. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ksfisher said:

Your first step then should be to speak to your bishop or branch president about being ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood.  In order to receive a temple recommend a male needs to be an ordained to the priesthood first.

Yes and that whas also what the bishop wanted me to do. But i have made the choise to wait for a while. Because I find that I am not READY for it MYSELF for this very moment. 

Priesterhood means more responsibilities and I (ME) !!! am not ready for it now. 

Edited by Dario_M
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Dario_M said:

I can not baptize people who have passed away in the temple because i did not received the Priesterhood yet. 

I understand, but can be baptized on behalf of your relatives by someone else who holds the priesthood.  You don't need to hold the priesthood to be baptized for the dead.  You will be the one getting immersed in the water (just like when you were baptized by the missionary), not the priesthood holder administering the baptism.  

Edited by pogi
Posted
15 minutes ago, pogi said:

You don't need to hold the priesthood to be baptized for the dead.

26.4.2

Temple Recommends for Newly Baptized Members

The bishop interviews new members who are of an appropriate age to receive a temple recommend for proxy baptisms and confirmations only. He conducts this interview soon after the member’s confirmation, normally within a week (see 26.4.1). For brethren, this interview may be held as part of the interview to receive the Aaronic Priesthood. Male Church members must be ordained to a priesthood office before receiving a temple recommend.

Worthy adult members may receive their own endowment one full year after being confirmed a member of the Church (see 27.2.1.1).

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/general-handbook/26-temple-recommends?lang=eng#title_number14

 

Bold above is mine

Posted
5 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

26.4.2

Temple Recommends for Newly Baptized Members

The bishop interviews new members who are of an appropriate age to receive a temple recommend for proxy baptisms and confirmations only. He conducts this interview soon after the member’s confirmation, normally within a week (see 26.4.1). For brethren, this interview may be held as part of the interview to receive the Aaronic Priesthood. Male Church members must be ordained to a priesthood office before receiving a temple recommend.

Worthy adult members may receive their own endowment one full year after being confirmed a member of the Church (see 27.2.1.1).

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/general-handbook/26-temple-recommends?lang=eng#title_number14

 

Bold above is mine

I stand corrected.

Why, I wonder?  Priesthood obviously is not required before baptism/confirmation, so why would it be required when being performed for the dead?  

Posted
1 minute ago, pogi said:

I stand corrected.

Why, I wonder?  Priesthood obviously is not required before baptism/confirmation, so why would it be required when being performed for the dead?  

I don't know.  One could speculate that church leaders would like men to receive the priesthood and figure that that should be a priority rather than temple attendance.  It would be a good question for a member of the First Presidency.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dario_M said:

That is not really what i want on the moment.

I am also sick a lot of the times and extremaly dizzy. I suffer from that for longer then 2 years now. I am afrait that i simply will not have the energie to do that unfortunately. 

Do you have Meniere’s Disease by any chance?  I have that and it took about 3 years before I stopped having a sick headache if I was doing anything besides lying in my bed.  Supposed to last 8 to 10 years typically, but gets better with time…unless you have the more severe version (but I don’t appear to, yay!) Still have to only lay on my right side or I risk the room spinning again.  I found going a low salt and no sugar diet really helped with the dizziness and headache.

Edited by Calm
Posted
1 minute ago, Calm said:

Do you have Meniere’s Disease by any chance?  I have that and it took about 3 years before I stopped having a sick headache if I was doing anything besides lying in my bed.  Supposed to last 8 to 10 years typically, but gets better with time…unless you have the more severe version (but I don’t appear to, yay!) Still have to only lay on my right side or I risk the room spinning again. 

My grandmother had that.  The treatment at the time that she was diagnosed was to sever the nerve to the ear, which fixed the dizziness but left her deaf in that ear.

Posted
1 hour ago, Dario_M said:

Yes it is what it is. No temple visits for me now for the moment. 🕍

Even when you have a full recommend, you have to stay in the parts of the temple where you are doing temple work (some of it is pretty easy, but doing baptisms might be hard on your dizziness if you are the one being baptized).

If you get the opportunity to go to a temple open house (I don’t know how easy it is for you to travel being sick, with my dizziness I stay at home and go to doctors’ appointments and that’s pretty much it), that would give you a chance to tour much of the temple.  Sitting and praying doesn’t work well for that though.  They likely have wheel chairs for the tours if you get tired quickly.

If you ever do your own endowment you will be able to sit in the Celestial room, but that is only really available after an endowment session.  Some temple have chapels inside you could go into to sit in and meditate and pray, but temples are not like cathedrals which are meant for private worship as well as a congregation.

Posted
7 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

My grandmother had that.  The treatment at the time that she was diagnosed was to sever the nerve to the ear, which fixed the dizziness but left her deaf in that ear.

That is still an option.  Way down the list.  Thankfully mine seems to be slowly going away.  Hoping to drive again sometime in the next year, though never on freeway and only short distances just in case.

Posted
1 hour ago, pogi said:

I understand, but can be baptized on behalf of your relatives by someone else who holds the priesthood.  You don't need to hold the priesthood to be baptized for the dead.  You will be the one getting immersed in the water (just like when you were baptized by the missionary), not the priesthood holder administering the baptism.  

Ooh really. That is kinda complicated.

Posted
53 minutes ago, Calm said:

Do you have Meniere’s Disease by any chance?  I have that and it took about 3 years before I stopped having a sick headache if I was doing anything besides lying in my bed.  Supposed to last 8 to 10 years typically, but gets better with time…unless you have the more severe version (but I don’t appear to, yay!) Still have to only lay on my right side or I risk the room spinning again.  I found going a low salt and no sugar diet really helped with the dizziness and headache.

Yeaj it can be that. In the beginning i whas afrait i had cancer. My muscles are also weak. And i am soooo tired. 

Abdoninal pains. And short of breath. But the worst of all is that horible dizziness. Every day i have that. It is turture. 

How did you figure out that you had meniere's diseas actually if i may be so free to ask???? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...