Seriously No Politics ×

Arrested for praying

VS  - No officer , I'm not protesting,( wink wink nudge nudge ) I'm just standing here silently thinking about praying.

Officer - No ma'm , we are not arresting you for praying ( wink wink nudge nudge ) You are being arrested for silent protesting. 

Edited by blackstrap
7 hours ago, Calm said:

Tribal allegiance?  What tribe(s) and which posters or at least which behaviours are smug and lacking of critical thinking.  It isn’t fair to throw out vague accusations and not identify behaviour needing to be changed.

It comes across as rather smug.

Yes. I am rather smug. It comes from being right all the time.

20 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Silent prayer falls under the larger silent protest umbrella. That she decries being prevented from silently praying is her particular take on the much larger issue of being able to think what one wants, where one wants to. Now, if she is found to have a history of participating in these supposed myriad examples of frequent, egregious harrassment (where are the videos of these excesses by the way?!) then I will concede the merits of taking her down to the station for questioning. I'm not holding my breathe though...

I wish that she had approached this issue in this way.  But she didn't.  She made it about being persecuted for her religious beliefs.  That dishonesty clouded the merits of her case significantly.  

On 12/23/2022 at 7:13 PM, Calm said:

If I was walking into my doctor’s clinic and I saw a person who was watching those coming in and out for multiple days (I go sometimes quite often to that clinic as I have 4 doctors there plus there are my daughter’s appts), I would feel disconcerted….which is not something I want to experience when going to the doctor’s, I am already highly anxious as it is.

I can see why it might be against the law just to be loitering outside a medical establishment, people are often vulnerable at that time, upset, in pain. Having someone observe me like that would make me feel like I was being used for their entertainment. Praying is irrelevant to me, them just being there seems to me like an invasion of privacy even if a public place because of the unusual circumstances of why people go to doctors’ offices.  My guess is it is the same whether a medical or an abortion clinic.  A abortion clinic would have the added issue about worry over safety with someone hanging around outside.  

She was in a restricted area.  She knew it was restricted. Therefore her being there was about protesting, not praying. I highly doubt she thought her prayers would be more effective just because she was standing on that piece of property.  I don’t see her arrested for praying, but for protesting. Using prayer as a form of public statement is still a protest. 

I don’t think people should have the right to get in the face of those going to and from the doctor’s just because they disagree with some of what happens there. 

Do they have the right to bring guns to a Supreme Court Justice's private home and heckle their family as the kids walk in and out of their home?  

Do you know who this quote is from?  

The whole point of protesting is to make ppl uncomfortable. Activists take that discomfort w/ the status quo & advocate for concrete policy changes. Popular support often starts small & grows. To folks who complain protest demands make others uncomfortable... that’s the point.

Edited by mbh26
1 hour ago, mbh26 said:

Do they have the right to bring guns to a Supreme Court Justice's private home and heckle their family as the kids walk in and out of their home?  

The whole point of protesting is to make ppl uncomfortable. Activists take that discomfort w/ the status quo & advocate for concrete policy changes. Popular support often starts small & grows. To folks who complain protest demands make others uncomfortable... that’s the point.

So, are you agreeing that free speech should be limited in certain circumstances/areas?  Are you in agreement that the police had good reason to suspect that this lady was protesting?

6 hours ago, mbh26 said:

Of course it’s the point, but I think there are times where it’s inappropriate and is going to be more likely to backfire because instead of pushing people out of their comfort zone to look at something in a new way, it shifts them into self protective mode because they are already in a highly vulnerable state.

And as I said when asked the question already, I don’t believe anyone should be protesting private residences and should, imo, be arrested if harassing minors.

7 hours ago, mbh26 said:

There is a difference between making the powerful who can effect change uncomfortable and targeting the vulnerable who can’t change policy because they are vulnerable and can’t push back.

One has the potential to effect real change. The other is bullying.

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

There is a difference between making the powerful who can effect change uncomfortable and targeting the vulnerable who can’t change policy because they are vulnerable and can’t push back.

One has the potential to effect real change. The other is bullying.

It is like justifying insulting  people by claiming you are just being honest and isn’t that a good thing.

12 hours ago, mbh26 said:

I do.  I am also wondering if you think that makes a difference?  That I would accept something from her that I wouldn’t from someone else.  Why did you ask if I knew rather than just putting her name up with it.