Jump to content

Human Space Program


Recommended Posts

Hello All!

I am a retired US Army Combat Veteran and inactive Member (albeit with a Mother who was a Seminary Teacher and a current Relief Society President, and that has read the BoM over 100 times) who stopped attending shortly after being ordained as a Teacher... Anywho, I am AVID fan of the Human Space Flight program and considering the LDS Church is one of the few NGOs with the Capital to invest in a SpaceX Lunar Starship:

 

I am curious to know how interested GenX and younger members of the Church feel about the idea of purchasing a Lunar Starship outright from SpaceX, with an additional 1 to 5 vessels through a lend-lease program, so one of them could be converted into an Chapel and parked permanently in the center of a crater on Luna as a non government Lunar outpost?

Link to comment

As soon as we have enough members for a ward in space, I am up for it.  Until then, perfectly happy to rent a spare capsule for Sunday meetings as needed. (We rented a Masonic Hall for Primary and a high school for Sunday meetings when I was a kid, were also in a school in Moscow in 96 which we were about to get kicked out of when we came back home due to it being an old convent that had just been given back to the Russian Orthodox Church, the nuns in charge did not want us around, renting is a fine tradition in the Church).

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Eric Shetka said:

Hello All!

I am a retired US Army Combat Veteran and inactive Member (albeit with a Mother who was a Seminary Teacher and a current Relief Society President, and that has read the BoM over 100 times) who stopped attending shortly after being ordained as a Teacher... Anywho, I am AVID fan of the Human Space Flight program and considering the LDS Church is one of the few NGOs with the Capital to invest in a SpaceX Lunar Starship:

 

I am curious to know how interested GenX and younger members of the Church feel about the idea of purchasing a Lunar Starship outright from SpaceX, with an additional 1 to 5 vessels through a lend-lease program, so one of them could be converted into an Chapel and parked permanently in the center of a crater on Luna as a non government Lunar outpost?

Until there is a Luna 1st Ward why would we need a chapel on the moon? Why would we need another 1 to 5 vessels? Are you suggesting we ferry people to and from the moon to attend church?

Also it wouldn’t be lend-lease in any sense unless SpaceX gives us the other ships for the duration of whatever we are doing without charging anything. Probably not likely. If we pay for the right to use it it is just a regular lease.

Link to comment

It's a fun idea, but I don't really see the purpose.  It's going to be multiple decades (if ever) that a lunar colony exists.  What would we do with these space vehicles in the meantime?  By the time they would be necessary (again, if ever) they would also probably be technologically obsolete.  

The equivalent of a 1960s automobile compared to one built in 2022.  No one's going to want to strap into that thing 50 years from now.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Until there is a Luna 1st Ward why would we need a chapel on the moon? Why would we need another 1 to 5 vessels? Are you suggesting we ferry people to and from the moon to attend church?

Also it wouldn’t be lend-lease in any sense unless SpaceX gives us the other ships for the duration of whatever we are doing without charging anything. Probably not likely. If we pay for the right to use it it is just a regular lease.

Elon Musk will soon be building a Moon Base, and so Col Eric may be wanting to accommodate the LDS members of that expedition.

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Elon Musk will soon be building a Moon Base, and so Col Eric may be wanting to accommodate the LDS members of that expedition.

That would kind of give a new meaning to living in the mission field.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...