Almost didn't join

SkyRock

Hi, I just joined after reading here for a month or so.   I found a link to the board on another LDS site.  While I have participated in many forums and discussion sites over the last 20 years, I did not participate in LDS forums or other discussion websites until recently. 

I am enjoying reading the discussions here. At first it seemed like a very small circle of posters rehashing arguments they appear to have had with each other for years.

I hope it is something more which is why I joined. 

Anyway, I am a 6th generation member and look forward to participating.

26 minutes ago, SkyRock said:

Hi, I just joined after reading here for a month or so.   I found a link to the board on another LDS site.  While I have participated in many forums and discussion sites over the last 20 years, I did not participate in LDS forums or other discussion websites until recently. 

Welcome.

I am enjoying reading the discussions here. At first it seemed like a very small circle of posters rehashing arguments they appear to have had with each other for years.

The number of posters has fluctuated over the years.  It is a bit low right now.
And certainly the same debates are repeated often.  However, the content is as good as the posters.  Feel free to contribute new topics to discuss.

44 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Welcome.

The number of posters has fluctuated over the years.  It is a bit low right now.
And certainly the same debates are repeated often.  However, the content is as good as the posters.  Feel free to contribute new topics to discuss.

Thanks.  I look forward to being involved.

1 hour ago, SkyRock said:

I hope it is something more which is why I joined. 

Anyway, I am a 6th generation member and look forward to participating.

Welcome SkyRock.

I was recently invited by a friend to participate in another blog.  Gave it a shot, but got shot down.  People there were very unfriendly and judgmental, so I apologized and left.  People seem more civilized and tolerant here, and the moderators do a pretty fair job.

You sound like you are serious about joining, which would be great. :)  We get quite a few introducing themselves and then I am guessing life intrudes and they decide they don’t want to invest the time and effort after all…though it is well worth it in my opinion if you like to discuss religion or church history. And we even have a philosopher around and others who dabble. 

It would be wonderful to have new topics to talk about and to hear new POVs. That is one of the reasons I hang out here, but you are right, since many of us have been here for 15 years, we have kind of narrowed down to a few topics outside of news items we focus on, having solved all the world’s problems for the others already. :P 

But old topics are interesting with new posters quite often because they bring a new way of looking at them. 

You might realize this already if you have been reading the board, but you can’t start your own topic in the main forum where it will get noticed by more until you have more points. If you want to jump right in though, you can either quickly ramp up your numbers by posting short comments here, tell us about yourself a paragraph in a post at a time or even use the three word thread to really speed things up. 

If you don’t want the clutter, feel free to tell us the topic you want and someone will start a thread for you.   I check the board pretty often these days, so even if others are getting busy with holidays, it shouldn’t take too long to get a topic up. :) 

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Welcome SkyRock.

I was recently invited by a friend to participate in another blog.  Gave it a shot, but got shot down.  People there were very unfriendly and judgmental, so I apologized and left.  People seem more civilized and tolerant here, and the moderators do a pretty fair job.

Thanks for the welcome.   Glad to hear. 

48 minutes ago, Calm said:

You sound like you are serious about joining, which would be great. :)  We get quite a few introducing themselves and then I am guessing life intrudes and they decide they don’t want to invest the time and effort after all…though it is well worth it in my opinion if you like to discuss religion or church history. And we even have a philosopher around and others who dabble. 

It would be wonderful to have new topics to talk about and to hear new POVs. That is one of the reasons I hang out here, but you are right, since many of us have been here for 15 years, we have kind of narrowed down to a few topics outside of news items we focus on, having solved all the world’s problems for the others already. :P 

But old topics are interesting with new posters quite often because they bring a new way of looking at them. 

You might realize this already if you have been reading the board, but you can’t start your own topic in the main forum where it will get noticed by more until you have more points. If you want to jump right in though, you can either quickly ramp up your numbers by posting short comments here, tell us about yourself a paragraph in a post at a time or even use the three word thread to really speed things up. 

If you don’t want the clutter, feel free to tell us the topic you want and someone will start a thread for you.   I check the board pretty often these days, so even if others are getting busy with holidays, it shouldn’t take too long to get a topic up. :) 

Thanks for the welcome.  I really enjoyed the discussion over the last month I have been reading.  

I look forward to the discussions.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:38 PM, SkyRock said:

At first it seemed like a very small circle of posters rehashing arguments they appear to have had with each other for years.

Don’t worry. This next time I will show them how fundamentally wrong they all are and they will acknowledge my rightness and slink away in shame and then this board will unite behind me and conquer the whole internet.

Also, welcome to the board.

39 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Don’t worry. This next time I will show them how fundamentally wrong they all are and they will acknowledge my rightness and slink away in shame and then this board will unite behind me and conquer the whole internet.

Also, welcome to the board.

Muhahaha!!!!!  King of the Web!!!