Jump to content

2019: Almost all of Facebook's top Christian pages were run by foreign troll farms


Chum

Recommended Posts

Today we learn that 19 of Facebook’s top 20 pages for American Christians were run by Eastern European troll farms overseas.

Takeways from the article:

Quote

The data shows the vast spread of Facebook misinformation is largely powered by coordinated efforts among foreign professionals working together to spread provocative content in the U.S.

These groups, based largely in Kosovo and Macedonia, have been particularly successful when it comes to targeting American Christians. Collectively, their Christian Facebook pages reach about 75 million users a month

and

Quote

The Facebook study was conducted in 2019, and found that these troll farms were targeting the same audience that Russia attempted to manipulate in 2016 with their own Facebook misinformation campaign.

but

Quote

For the most part, the people who see and engage with these posts don’t actually “like” the pages they’re coming from.

still

Quote

Facebook’s engagement-hungry algorithm is simply shipping them what it thinks they want to see. Internal studies revealed that divisive posts are more likely to reach a big audience, and troll farms use that to their advantage, spreading provocative misinformation that generates a bigger response to spread their online reach.

I feel this all begs the question: What responsibility do we religious people have to save those of us lost to crafted misinformation and conspiracy?

Edited by Chum
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Chum said:

Today we learn that 19 of Facebook’s top 20 pages for American Christians were run by Eastern European troll farms overseas...........................

I feel this all begs the question: What responsibility do we religious people have to save those of us lost to crafted misinformation and conspiracy?

This has nothing to do with religion, but is only a cynical effort to mold American public opinion for secular purposes -- probably a Kremlin operation designed to destabilize the USA, and which has so far been very successful.

Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

This has nothing to do with religion

Firehosing misinfo thru religious channels is a pretty solid example of 'doing with religion'.

Perhaps you meant that religions channels aren't the only conduits for conspiracy propaganda? That'd be an easier argument to make.

edit: You might also be saying that Christian faiths aren't the origin of that misinformation. That seems reasonable. The issue there might be that Christian faiths seem ill equipped (or wholly uninterested) in addressing propaganda mules within their own ranks.

Edited by Chum
Link to comment
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Which one again supports my theory:

Destroy Facebook.

It does seem a FB created problem since it is the reason people are seeing these pages if the research is correct, the users aren’t searching them out.  FB needs to work on their algorithm. 
 

I have ignored FB as much as possible.  What is the benefit to FB to drive more sites to users?  Is it simply it increases uses of the service which ups their income due to paid advertising based on page views or something else?

Edited by Calm
Link to comment

If more people understood how Facebook manipulates information and them, I think that might help.  But if there's one thing that people really do not seem to want to know it's that they are being manipulated in some way.  Even the biggest conspiracy theorist out there will deny that Facebook algorithms are puppet masters holding the strings and making them dance.

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Calm said:

I have ignored FB as much as possible.  What is the benefit to FB to drive more sites to users?  Is it simply it increases uses of the service which ups their income due to paid advertising based on page views or something else?

I keep a fake FB account to access Marketplace and occasionally make initial contact w/ someone (then move that to email asap).

I created a real one 15 years ago. Logged into it 2x, was horrified, left. Deleted it a few years ago.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Chum said:

Firehosing misinfo thru religious channels is a pretty solid example of 'doing with religion'.

Perhaps you meant that religions channels aren't the only conduits for conspiracy propaganda? That'd be an easier argument to make.

edit: You might also be saying that Christian faiths aren't the origin of that misinformation. That seems reasonable. The issue there might be that Christian faiths seem ill equipped (or wholly uninterested) in addressing propaganda mules within their own ranks.

Religion is merely a vehicle being used by non-religious propaganda mules.  The motivation is not religious, but is merely a cynical ploy to influence and control socio-political views and actions.  So far the Kremlin has been very successful in this approach, since religious people in America are particularly shallow and vulnerable to manipulation.

Link to comment
52 minutes ago, Calm said:

It does seem a FB created problem since it is the reason people are seeing these pages if the research is correct, the users aren’t searching them out.  FB needs to work on their algorithm.

I have ignored FB as much as possible.  What is the benefit to FB to drive more sites to users?  Is it simply it increases uses of the service which ups their income due to paid advertising based on page views or something else?

There is a reason why Mark Zuckerberg is one of the richest men in the world, and that wealth has not made him a good and honest man.  He is the same guy he was as a Harvard student many years ago.  What are his actual values?

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Chum said:

I keep a fake FB account to access Marketplace and occasionally make initial contact w/ someone (then move that to email asap).

I created a real one 15 years ago. Logged into it 2x, was horrified, left. Deleted it a few years ago.

Unfortunately it is where all the patient support groups hang out.  I deal with it by limiting my “follows” to very few (4 very focused groups, the Church’s and FAIR’s posts,  and maybe 6 family and friends who have established a great low stress producing track record and one Covid info page) and blocking or hiding anything else pretty much.  Still end up getting distracted way too often…mainly with arts and crafts stuff, so harmless, just time consuming.

Link to comment
15 hours ago, Calm said:

Still end up getting distracted way too often…mainly with arts and crafts stuff, so harmless, just time consuming.

Yeah, I get it.  I sometimes get all posty on this religious forum . . .

Link to comment

Could always do what I do, sit back and watch the fun.  I have a few throwaway facebooks for that purpose, I occasionally watch people I knew make really dumb posts and make their lives an even bigger dumpster fire than it already is.  

BTW, it isn't just you guys.

Fake Black Lives Matter Facebook page run by Australian union official – report | Black Lives Matter movement | The Guardian

The biggest Black Lives Matter page on Facebook is fake (cnn.com)

Here's what i'm curious about, do people just not know how the internet works anymore?  Something i've noticed, ever since social media and smartphones I've seen so many people online who really have no idea how to sift through data nor protect themselves online.  Not having your "stranger danger" feelers out to me makes as much sense as walking into a bear pit at the zoo after dousing yourself with meat tenderizer.   The internet really isn't a safe place.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:51 PM, The Nehor said:

Which one again supports my theory:

Destroy Facebook.

No!  Facebook makes it so easy for me to spy on people, see what they're running their mouths off about and when it comes up toss a few words out and blend in!  Don't ruin my favorite means of social engineering!

Edited by poptart
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Chum said:

I don't know how to fun on FB.

Sit back and watch the foolishness.  This is why I'm not on social media, only way to escape it is not be apart of it.  Think if I ever needed another one I'd plaster my page with LGBTQ/BLM everything plus whatever cause is popular.  Use whatever propaganda that's circulating as camouflage.

Link to comment
On 9/29/2021 at 7:51 PM, The Nehor said:

Which one again supports my theory:

Destroy Facebook.

Now we know what happened! It was you!

What I don't understand is how you managed it.  Are you the head of that international hacker ring that took Facebook down? All the way?

Link to comment
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...