The in-progress, growing homeless tsunami

We recently found a place to rent. The ad was up for 2 hours and had 50 applicants. Our odds were low-to-zero (for any rental) because we have zero credit - because we avoided debt while recovering from long financial struggles.  We won the rental by offering 6mos up front + last + security. It was everything we had saved up. The offer made us stand out and took our credit off the table. Forty-nine other applicants got sent back to the arena.

My son works in a lumber dept and talks to lots of landlords. They are getting 400 applicants, each day that their listing in on the market. Renters might see a few new listings on a given day or none at all. Based on these observations, the availability of rentals may be in the single digit percentile of what the actual need is.

Compounding all of this are the steep increases in rental prices, compared to pre-Covid levels. Our new rent is 70% higher than what we had been paying but is still quite low for this new market. Frankly, we are beyond blessed to have found anything at all, nevertheless a home that is a good fit for us.

I am not overstating the issue when I say we were facing a very high likelihood of being homeless, even while having more savings than we'd ever had. Facing that by myself would be difficult. Living with that reality, with 5 sons depending on me, is more terrifying than anything I've ever experienced. That 24/7 companion quickly wrecked sleep, cognition and everything else I needed to find a solution.

Finally, the national eviction moratorium expires on July 31 (where judges have been respecting it). What happens after that is, well, this - just even worse. I'm fairly sure millions of people are about to (if not already) experience the terror that I've been - but without any meaningful hope.

What kind of work do you do?  Would you consider moving to Nebraska?  Seems like housing costs there is 1/3.  Some can make the move due to being able to "telecommute".

1 hour ago, longview said:

What kind of work do you do?  Would you consider moving to Nebraska?  Seems like housing costs there is 1/3.  Some can make the move due to being able to "telecommute".

I do IT for small to medium biz. Not coding; it's more integration and security. My son's (all adult) jobs are also here.

Our immediate goal is to work on our credit scores for the next 2-3 years and look for opportunities in the mean time.

This is going to sound weird, but which state are you in?  Currently in California here and from what I understand, at least where I'm at, they are having trouble with too many vacancies.  That may have changed really recently though, not sure.

I'm glad you got it, and I'll keep those who didn't in my prayers.

Hope things continue to go well for you and your family.

5 hours ago, Chum said:

We recently found a place to rent. The ad was up for 2 hours and had 50 applicants. Our odds were low-to-zero (for any rental) because we have zero credit - because we avoided debt while recovering from long financial struggles.  We won the rental by offering 6mos up front + last + security. It was everything we had saved up. The offer made us stand out and took our credit off the table. Forty-nine other applicants got sent back to the arena.

My son works in a lumber dept and talks to lots of landlords. They are getting 400 applicants, each day that their listing in on the market. Renters might see a few new listings on a given day or none at all. Based on these observations, the availability of rentals may be in the single digit percentile of what the actual need is.

Compounding all of this are the steep increases in rental prices, compared to pre-Covid levels. Our new rent is 70% higher than what we had been paying but is still quite low for this new market. Frankly, we are beyond blessed to have found anything at all, nevertheless a home that is a good fit for us.

I am not overstating the issue when I say we were facing a very high likelihood of being homeless, even while having more savings than we'd ever had. Facing that by myself would be difficult. Living with that reality, with 5 sons depending on me, is more terrifying than anything I've ever experienced. That 24/7 companion quickly wrecked sleep, cognition and everything else I needed to find a solution.

Finally, the national eviction moratorium expires on July 31 (where judges have been respecting it). What happens after that is, well, this - just even worse. I'm fairly sure millions of people are about to (if not already) experience the terror that I've been - but without any meaningful hope.

Glad you got in, but sad for the stress you have or will be under. Wish we could all just do a go fund for you. 

Been there, it's an awful feeling.  Will be interesting to see what happens when a lot of places have LA tier homelessness.

Is working remote an option?

15 hours ago, longview said:

I know someone who's been doing just that since covid started, most of the locals are terrified of transplants turning Nebraska into another Colorado. 

I do wonder how families with young children make a situation like that work, big reason why a lot of people moved here, good schools.  Not everyone can homeschool.

2 hours ago, poptart said:

Been there, it's an awful feeling.  Will be interesting to see what happens when a lot of places have LA tier homelessness.

I know someone who's been doing just that since covid started, most of the locals are terrified of transplants turning Nebraska into another Colorado. 

I do wonder how families with young children make a situation like that work, big reason why a lot of people moved here, good schools.  Not everyone can homeschool.

Yes, it is very concerning.  I moved from Utah to Colorado back in the 80's.  It has drifted steadily from reliable conservative to being dangerously deranged social justice knee-jerkiness.  The Republican Party is no longer accountable to the rank and file members.  One of the few bright spots is Lauren Boebert who won her first congressional seat in CD3 (west slopes).

1 minute ago, longview said:

Yes, it is very concerning.  I moved from Utah to Colorado back in the 80's.  It has drifted steadily from reliable conservative to being dangerously deranged social justice knee-jerkiness.  The Republican Party is no longer accountable to the rank and file members.  One of the few bright spots is Lauren Boebert who won her first congressional seat in CD3 (west slopes).

I was wondering how that dingbat got elected.

20 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Who wouldn’t?

A thousand of me would probably be much more obnoxious and dangerous than her.

Barely.

Lets see - - - you have demonstrated animosity to the Constitution (which has been documented many times on this board).  She is stalwart in the defense of the Constitution.  She would agree it is a Heavenly Banner if we were to describe Joseph Smith's statements about it.  You have squirmed in attempting to disregard President Oaks' glorious defense of the Constitution.  She is courageous in asserting her natural rights to defend herself and her family and community.  You would abandon yourself to an Orwellian State.

Just now, longview said:

Lets see - - - you have demonstrated animosity to the Constitution (which has been documented many times on this board).  She is stalwart in the defense of the Constitution.  She would agree it is a Heavenly Banner if we were to describe Joseph Smith's statements about it.  You have squirmed in attempting to disregard President Oaks' glorious defense of the Constitution.  She is courageous in asserting her natural rights to defend herself and her family and community.  You would abandon yourself to an Orwellian State.

I like most of the Constitution.

Her husband is a creep who exposed himself to minors, she married him a year later. She broadcast the location of Congress on social media during the attack on the Capitol despite everyone being warned not to reveal their location. She is suspected of taking insurrectionists on a tour of the Capitol the day before the attack to allow them to get some familiarity before the day. There is a current FBI investigation looking into her and several others. Posing in front of a flag with guns doesn't mean she is not a traitor. It just means she grasps the concept of propaganda. She is also a sort of QAnon conspiracy supporter. You know, the idea that a secret informant named Q was dropping cryptic hints on a message board galvanizing people to action to defend the United States from things like vote counting. She did try to distance herself at one point a little but she still approved of it. She is also a full-on supporter of the discredited baseless claims that the election was riddled with widespread fraud. You know, the lie that got people hurt and killed at the Capitol.

If you want to get into other fun stories check out her pork sliders.

Her failure to grasp how the constitution works makes me suspect she love the 'symbol' of the Constitution rather than what it actually says. At least she seems pretty ignorant about how it actually works.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, TAO_2 said:

This is going to sound weird, but which state are you in?  Currently in California here and from what I understand, at least where I'm at, they are having trouble with too many vacancies.  That may have changed really recently though, not sure.

I'm in FL, apparently the worst state for what I described. Most states are having some degree of this, though.

The vacancies I've read about are all in some larger cities. People who see a their future in remote working moved to their suburbs or they transplanted to other states' suburbs. FL seems to be one of their top destinations for some reason.  West central FL may have the fastest rising rents in the nation. South FL may have the lowest percentage of people who can afford the median price of a home.

Edited by Chum
2 hours ago, longview said:

A lot of this is because people moving here want what Colorado cannot support, we simply don't have the resources other states do.  Colorado had old school libertarian conservative values, what I see from modern conservatives makes me vomit.  It's not just Colorado, it's Utah, Idaho etc.  I'm real curious about Idaho, that state has some very scary elements that don't take kindly to outsiders.  From what I've heard they're like parts of Alaska in a way, something bad happens the police have a hard time getting anything done because no one cooperates due to so many resenting the establishment.

I'm looking to work abroad tbh, know a lot of nurses who just left the country after hospitals here screwed them over during covid.  Think a few people here live abroad, the housing, taxes and politics here is making things very unattractive for me and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.  After the life I've had and the racism I've seen and had to put up with, I'm just done.  

The friends I have with kids worry what kind of a country they'll have, anymore it seems like in general people just hate each other.

1 hour ago, poptart said:

A lot of this is because people moving here want what Colorado cannot support, we simply don't have the resources other states do.  Colorado had old school libertarian conservative values, what I see from modern conservatives makes me vomit.  It's not just Colorado, it's Utah, Idaho etc.  I'm real curious about Idaho, that state has some very scary elements that don't take kindly to outsiders.  From what I've heard they're like parts of Alaska in a way, something bad happens the police have a hard time getting anything done because no one cooperates due to so many resenting the establishment.

I'm looking to work abroad tbh, know a lot of nurses who just left the country after hospitals here screwed them over during covid.  Think a few people here live abroad, the housing, taxes and politics here is making things very unattractive for me and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.  After the life I've had and the racism I've seen and had to put up with, I'm just done.  

The friends I have with kids worry what kind of a country they'll have, anymore it seems like in general people just hate each other.

During a wakeful night, couldn't sleep because of worrying, I considered just taking myself to say Canada or anywhere out of the US. Thinking maybe a service type of thing for a couple of years. Then I thought of my children/husband/responsibilities and how would that go over. I see Senior missionary couples that go on LDS missions for 18 months and no one thinks anything of it. I always thought I'd do that one day, but that ain't happening. If I was single I'd hope I was able to do what you're thinking of doing.  It's the politics, the daily shootings, and the future that makes me want to leave and find greener grasses.

4 hours ago, poptart said:

It is truly awful but one thing I am grateful for is that most of the unease was born by me and less by my sons. One said he wasn't stressed at all because it wasn't his problem to handle. Given how much I depend on them, this is a better outcome.

I work a fair amount remotely but some part of my work will always be hands on.  That's how I got my two most recent clients.  Their local IT guy (friend of mine) moved out of state and can only do some of the work remotely.

16 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Glad you got in, but sad for the stress you have or will be under. Wish we could all just do a go fund for you. 

Although we paid out nearly all we had we also have 6 months of no rent to recoup that outlay. The further distance means significant transportation increases but some of that will be offset by lower utility costs. Also, one son just finished tech school and will be entering the job market.

It took all of us to get here and it'll take all of us to keep and maintain our future blessings.

When we're better established, I'll try to help my ex. I expect her to be homeless in a few months. My thinking is she might fare better in a state that isn't so hostile toward folks who are vulnerable. Hopefully what I learn from that can be applied to my older sister, who has long lived in precarious housing.

I need to let go of my survivor's guilt for now and focus on the surviving.  Before I do I want to reiterate we were the one in a thousand who made it. I made this thread because this unprecedented lack of housing is an enormous crisis that doesn't seem to be getting much attention in the press. And I don't have any answers, not even ideas how to help these Americans who are about to be refugees in their own country.

43 minutes ago, Chum said:

I need to let go of my survivor's guilt for now and focus on the surviving.  Before I do I want to reiterate we were the one in a thousand who made it. I made this thread because this unprecedented lack of housing is an enormous crisis that doesn't seem to be getting much attention in the press. And I don't have any answers, not even ideas how to help these Americans who are about to be refugees in their own country.

In Utah recently the government put out a budget of $180 million to help those that need help with rent. I wish this was available to you and your family. https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/6/24/22534068/cant-pay-your-rent-utah-has-180-million-available-in-rental-assistance-how-to-pay-rent-help-eviction

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

During a wakeful night, couldn't sleep because of worrying, I considered just taking myself to say Canada or anywhere out of the US. Thinking maybe a service type of thing for a couple of years. Then I thought of my children/husband/responsibilities and how would that go over. I see Senior missionary couples that go on LDS missions for 18 months and no one thinks anything of it. I always thought I'd do that one day, but that ain't happening. If I was single I'd hope I was able to do what you're thinking of doing.  It's the politics, the daily shootings, and the future that makes me want to leave and find greener grasses.

I think what gets me is people have known for a while things were bad in a lot of areas.  So long as they had theirs they did not care.  Now there's few places left to flee to if you have children to raise.  Can't say I feel bad for people in general, after how my life had to be growing up and how no one raised a finger for me nor the other kids I knew who suffered in abusive households it's kind of interesting to see how the other half is taking this.  Karma is a thing.  It's why I love things like Buddhism so much, no one not even the gods escape consequences.  Not too popular in cultures like this one but it sure is interesting watching peoples mental gymnastics.  Flip side is as a Latter Day Saint you're in a very good spot to survive whatever's coming, I'd think anyway.  

3 hours ago, Chum said:

It is truly awful but one thing I am grateful for is that most of the unease was born by me and less by my sons. One said he wasn't stressed at all because it wasn't his problem to handle. Given how much I depend on them, this is a better outcome.

I work a fair amount remotely but some part of my work will always be hands on.  That's how I got my two most recent clients.  Their local IT guy (friend of mine) moved out of state and can only do some of the work remotely.

You really are a gem, it's people like you that are the most rare.  Something I came up with a while ago, there are three ways you can move forward after a bad life, continue the disfunction (most do this), chose to be the change they want to see in the world (The most rare) or a middle path of sorts, you see things for what they are and move forward with your interests in mind.  I'm the middle option as are many more men nowadays.  An uncomfortable thing to say, in general the American people are not worth fighting over anymore.  Not like they really ever were but when I see how they've treated each other for decades now I think they totally deserve whatever will befall them.  Was talking to my 92 year old grand aunt on my fathers side, probably the only one left on that side I talk to.  She lived through the depression, her kids, grandkids and great grandkids have never known hunger, want nor a divided society.  They've always had people there to rescue them from whatever, with the hatred and rage the American people helped create they're going to be living in a very divided society very soon.  Case in point, a lot of the anti poor attitude you see in some states?  Lets see what happens as China continues to buy up land, businesses, hire laid off middle aged men who US society threw away and continue to pass tariffs that affect Southern states far, far more.  People will not be poor and homeless, if someone, be it politicians, another gov't or whomever offers them an out they will take it.  All this will happen I think while most of us just sit back and watch.   I doubt there's going to be this "silent majority" or this glorious conservative revival to come to the rescue for the status quo.  We shall see.

2 hours ago, Chum said:

Ever read any of Marx's stuff or things on deep ecology?  I keep some of the more fringe/extreme opinions I have to myself, if you're as well read as I think you are I bet you see what's coming.  I do see accelerationism becoming a lot more popular in some circles, even I'm a fan of it somewhat.  People need to remember there are consequences, until that happens nothing will change.  

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

In Utah recently the government put out a budget of $180 million to help those that need help with rent. I wish this was available to you and your family. https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/6/24/22534068/cant-pay-your-rent-utah-has-180-million-available-in-rental-assistance-how-to-pay-rent-help-eviction

Wonder how much of a hand the LDS church had in that.  Either way good for Utah.  The Bible belt and Baptist heavy midwest could learn a lesson from Mormons on Christian charity.

Edited by poptart
On 6/27/2021 at 9:01 AM, Tacenda said:

I know this is a bit late, but... I did wish to comfort you.

So most of these things still existed a while back... it's just that social media has expanded their reach a bit.  Furthermore, social media tends to amplify things so the noisiest 2% speaks for the other 98%.  Things are definitely not as bad as they seem.

I got to spend some time up in Wyoming a few years back, and people were remarkably friendly.  There was a few people out on loan farms who were more the 'leave me alone' type, but most everyone treated each other like neighbors and family.  I think news and social media makes the world seem a lot worse than it really is.  It's just that all the niceness is very silently done.

Just my two cents.  Hope your having an awesome day!

9 hours ago, TAO_2 said:

I know this is a bit late, but... I did wish to comfort you.

So most of these things still existed a while back... it's just that social media has expanded their reach a bit.  Furthermore, social media tends to amplify things so the noisiest 2% speaks for the other 98%.  Things are definitely not as bad as they seem.

I got to spend some time up in Wyoming a few years back, and people were remarkably friendly.  There was a few people out on loan farms who were more the 'leave me alone' type, but most everyone treated each other like neighbors and family.  I think news and social media makes the world seem a lot worse than it really is.  It's just that all the niceness is very silently done.

Just my two cents.  Hope your having an awesome day!

Tao, sweet of you to reply, I appreciated it more than you know! FB is something I'd like to quit, for sure! Hope your day has been great! 

7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Tao, sweet of you to reply, I appreciated it more than you know! FB is something I'd like to quit, for sure! Hope your day has been great! 

No prob!  And thanks!

On 6/30/2021 at 4:48 PM, Tacenda said:

Fb is poison, bailing on it was one of the best things I ever did.  Also, those algorithms are spooky