Howdy From Australia

Ratbag

25 minutes ago, rpn said:

Howdy to you.   Australia is a big place.

Yes... hence the question so we can get an idea of where you are, Ratbag... and... maybe you'll tell us just a little about yourself.  We see you are male, but... approx age,? LDS? Your profile says you joined in 2014, so have you just been "lurking?"   Interests? 

Glad you are here and have finally posted... I've always wanted to visit Australia... if you've been reading the board, I think you can see we are a diverse group... I'm the proverbial old woman (79) who lives with her cat in a cottage by the sea... I'll look forward to seeing you hopefully post since you've been here a long time...

from the beach on a crisp, clear morning with the sun coming through the pines...

GG

3 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Welcome...Australia, a place that was on my wish list! 

Before this pandemic, my wife and I were discussing a two week cruise to Australia. Now, we don’t know when, or if we will ever make t, since more health issues surfaced. But, I have always hoped for the two week Australian cruise, and the two week Atlantic cruise to England, and Ireland. 

I'm American but married to an Aussie.  Currently, we live in the Sydney area, but we're getting ready to move to the Central Coast north of Sydney.  I joined the forum years ago, but at the time, there was not much going on with the forum so I faded away.  I recently saw that there was some conversations going, so I'm back.  American's ask me what Australia is like.  Well, it's a great big rock with about two feet of dirt on top (in some places).  I'm an older fart and a serious introvert.  The last time I took an introversion-extroversion test, I scored a big goose egg.  My interests are the Gospel, the Gospel, and the Gospel.  I do a tremendous amount of research and I write a lot.  I collect all things Gospel related.  I have finally found and downloaded every single magazine ever published by the Church that is on PDF.  That comes to more than 9200 magazines and newspapers along with more than 200 old books and other publications.  It took me more than 7 years to find it all.  The folder on my computer that I keep it in currently stands at 154gb and I add to it on occasion.  I have searched through most of it on topics that interest me and I am amazed at the things that once were common knowledge throughout the membership but are now considered a myth at best.  The writings in the old magazines are very different from what we get in the Ensign.  Today, everything is sugar coated, but from the beginning of the Church to about the 1940's, the writing style was very much like what you read in the Book of Mormon.  It was blunt, straight-forward, and to the point, and if you got offended, WAAAAAAAH! Go find your binky and a safe place.  My style of writing.

1 hour ago, Ratbag said:

I'm American but married to an Aussie.  Currently, we live in the Sydney area, but we're getting ready to move to the Central Coast north of Sydney.  I joined the forum years ago, but at the time, there was not much going on with the forum so I faded away.  I recently saw that there was some conversations going, so I'm back.  American's ask me what Australia is like.  Well, it's a great big rock with about two feet of dirt on top (in some places).  I'm an older fart and a serious introvert.  The last time I took an introversion-extroversion test, I scored a big goose egg.  My interests are the Gospel, the Gospel, and the Gospel.  I do a tremendous amount of research and I write a lot.  I collect all things Gospel related.  I have finally found and downloaded every single magazine ever published by the Church that is on PDF.  That comes to more than 9200 magazines and newspapers along with more than 200 old books and other publications.  It took me more than 7 years to find it all.  The folder on my computer that I keep it in currently stands at 154gb and I add to it on occasion.  I have searched through most of it on topics that interest me and I am amazed at the things that once were common knowledge throughout the membership but are now considered a myth at best.  The writings in the old magazines are very different from what we get in the Ensign.  Today, everything is sugar coated, but from the beginning of the Church to about the 1940's, the writing style was very much like what you read in the Book of Mormon.  It was blunt, straight-forward, and to the point, and if you got offended, WAAAAAAAH! Go find your binky and a safe place.  My style of writing.

Heh! I'm American but married to a Brit!

Your style of writing sounds like you will be fun here. And maybe even have some fun!

9 hours ago, Ratbag said:

Ratbag!!  You sound like you'll be of interest and value to our discussions here... I'm what's known as a TBM, a term that I wear readily and don't consider it a derogatory reference... going back to the old story of Pratt? who was once asked if he was a Mormon... and he answered enthusiastically... Yes! True Blue, through and through! 

Yep, that's me too... true blue... and thankful for it after 35 years of being an inactive member... I joined the board in 2005 and have posted every day of my life since, if I have access to a computer.  Over the years I've developed what I consider some real friendships here.  Our discussions are interesting, and can be lively...  and certainly enjoyable...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl