Jump to content

Job Offer: Transportation?


Kenngo1969

Recommended Posts

I got a job offer up on the Hill (Salt Lake City, University of Utah area for anyone not familiar with it.)  I'm trying to figure out ways to get there from Pleasant Grove (northern Utah County).  My parents live in South Jordan (southern Salt Lake County), so I might be able to use that as a jumping-off point.

I figure Front Runner to downtown, transfer somewhere to TRAX to get up on the Hill (Stadium Stop, maybe? :unknw:), and then ...? :unknw:

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I figure Front Runner to downtown, transfer somewhere to TRAX to get up on the Hill (Stadium Stop, maybe?

Hop on the bus, Gus.

I knew several people from the Provo and Orem areas that were able to take the bus all the way to downtown SLC (this was back in the 70s/80s before my move to Denver).  Don't know if that service is still available?  You would only need at most one transfer?

Does Salt Lake City have good public transportation?
Public Transportation. Salt Lake City has a robust public transportationsystem that utilizes commuter trains, buses, and light-rail to provide you withaccess from the airport all the way up to the ski resorts. ... Downtown Salt Lake provides a great transfer point as all the lines run through downtown.
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I got a job offer up on the Hill (Salt Lake City, University of Utah area for anyone not familiar with it.)  I'm trying to figure out ways to get there from Pleasant Grove (northern Utah County).  My parents live in South Jordan (southern Salt Lake County), so I might be able to use that as a jumping-off point.

I figure Front Runner to downtown, transfer somewhere to TRAX to get up on the Hill (Stadium Stop, maybe? :unknw:), and then ...? :unknw:

Is it actually on campus or just by it?

Apparently there is an on campus shuttle that you could take once the Red Line gets you up there.

https://commuterservices.utah.edu/mass-transit/shuttles/

here are the Uta routes:

https://www.rideuta.com/Rider-Tools/Schedules-and-Maps

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I got a job offer up on the Hill (Salt Lake City, University of Utah area for anyone not familiar with it.)  I'm trying to figure out ways to get there from Pleasant Grove (northern Utah County).  My parents live in South Jordan (southern Salt Lake County), so I might be able to use that as a jumping-off point.

I figure Front Runner to downtown, transfer somewhere to TRAX to get up on the Hill (Stadium Stop, maybe? :unknw:), and then ...? :unknw:

Front Runner is best (park & ride), and there are plugs and wifi on the train so that you can get work done on your laptop en route.  UTA can plan your route and times for you.

Link to comment
On 8/10/2019 at 3:28 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

I got a job offer up on the Hill (Salt Lake City, University of Utah area for anyone not familiar with it.)  I'm trying to figure out ways to get there from Pleasant Grove (northern Utah County).  My parents live in South Jordan (southern Salt Lake County), so I might be able to use that as a jumping-off point.

I figure Front Runner to downtown, transfer somewhere to TRAX to get up on the Hill (Stadium Stop, maybe? :unknw:), and then ...? :unknw:

Congratulations Kenngo...I mean future senator!

Link to comment
On 8/10/2019 at 11:28 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

I got a job offer up on the Hill (Salt Lake City, University of Utah area for anyone not familiar with it.)  I'm trying to figure out ways to get there from Pleasant Grove (northern Utah County).  My parents live in South Jordan (southern Salt Lake County), so I might be able to use that as a jumping-off point.

I figure Front Runner to downtown, transfer somewhere to TRAX to get up on the Hill (Stadium Stop, maybe? :unknw:), and then ...? :unknw:

A nifty feature of Google Maps on my Android phone is I can set my starting and destination address and ask for directions.  It then works out directions and estimated travel time for  pedestrian, private car, buses and trains, whichever is available.  At least it does here in the UK, so maybe it does in the Utah, too.

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

A nifty feature of Google Maps on my Android phone is I can set my starting and destination address and ask for directions.  It then works out directions and estimated travel time for  pedestrian, private car, buses and trains, whichever is available.  At least it does here in the UK, so maybe it does in the Utah, too.

Thanks.  Do you know the absolutely maddening thing about Google Maps, and probably about other applications, too?  Are you familiar with how addresses such as "600 East 400 North" work?  The address is six blocks east and four blocks north of some central point, usually the town's main intersection.  Google doesn't do that.  It ignores the first direction, even though that's kinda crucial (otherwise, why bother putting it in? :rolleyes:) and says, "600 400 North?  Found it for ya!  Here ya go!"  And you're sitting there going, "Fine, but did you find 600 East 400 North, or 600 West 400 North?  There's at least twelve blocks difference between the two, and if you take me that far out of my way ..."

Since Google rules the world, you'd think their programmers would have a clue by now, but ... nope! :rolleyes:

(It probably won't make a difference with this address, because it's just 550 Foothill Dr.  "No bloody North, South, East, or West," as Scotty, the engineer from Star Trek, would say.) ;):D

Link to comment
6 hours ago, RevTestament said:

Congratulations Kenngo...I mean future senator!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:  :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh.  Wait.  :huh:  You were serious weren't you?

Well, thanks. :)

I probably shouldn't jump the gun/count my chickens before they're hatched, though.  It's just a tentative offer.  We'll see what happens.

As for Senator?  Well, I would have thought that there was no way that someone who now represents New York in the House* would ever be elected, but if she can get elected (even though it was "just" to the House and not to the Senate) ... who knows.

*I'm avoiding naming names so as to avoid turning my own thread political. You might say, "Well, Ken, we all know what your political leanings are, so it's no surprise you wouldn't like her," but it's not just that: I've forgotten more about civics than she'll ever know, and yet, not only was she elected to the House, she's considered a "mover-and-a-shaker" in her party in some circles. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I didn't think New Yorkers were that ... well never mind! <_<

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment

Longview,

Thanks.  At the risk of derailing my own thread, your screen name reminds me of something I posted on my blog a few years ago.

https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/taking-the-long-view/

(That video makes me cry every time I watch it, and this time, it's your fault! ;):) )

And then, your "Hop on the bus, Gus," reference, of course, reminded me of this:

 

 

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Longview,

Thanks.  At the risk of derailing my own thread, your screen name reminds me of something I posted on my blog a few years ago.

https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/taking-the-long-view/

(That video makes me cry every time I watch it, and this time, it's your fault! ;):) )

That was an awesome piece you wrote (and the video was very touching).  It made me think of my cousin in Orem who is around 90 years old and still takes care of her hubby and maintains her home.

To comment further on your piece.  I believe this "Second Act" (or the Second Estate) is actually what I would call the "Third Act".  The pre-existence would be the Second Act where we were spirit children of HF.  The First Act is that timeless place where we were intelligences before being invited to become spirit children.  That is why it is so urgent that as many of us qualify for the Celestial Kingdom so more of the intelligences can be invited to become spirit children in the next "Eternal Rounds".

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

550 Foothill Dr. 

The UTA may or may not avoid the address issue. I would assume it does. However it lists two zip codes for the 550 address, don’t know it that makes a difference. 

It appeared to work pretty well for that address and Pleasant Grove. For some reason I think of you living in Utah County, so I just chose that city to try it out. It had walking for 3/4 of a mile. Don’t know if that is an issue for you or not. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Since Google rules the world, you'd think their programmers would have a clue by now, but ... nope! :rolleyes:

(It probably won't make a difference with this address, because it's just 550 Foothill Dr.  "No bloody North, South, East, or West," as Scotty, the engineer from Star Trek, would say.) ;):D

 

25 minutes ago, Calm said:

The UTA may or may not avoid the address issue. I would assume it does. However it lists two zip codes for the 550 address, don’t know it that makes a difference. 

It appeared to work pretty well for that address and Pleasant Grove. For some reason I think of you living in Utah County, so I just chose that city to try it out. It had walking for 3/4 of a mile. Don’t know if that is an issue for you or not. 

Since I've never tried that Google function before, I decided to try  it out. If Ken took Frontrunner to the the Murray Station, from there he could take the 703 straight to the South University Station, which is probably that 12 min walk you talked about Calm. A slightly longer ride is to take the the 703 to Central Pointe Station and then switch to the 21 bus which in turn will make up the time because it will take him to 568 S Foothill - the closest public transportation stop. Easy with a chair. 

Link to comment
On 8/10/2019 at 11:11 AM, longview said:

Hop on the bus, Gus.

I knew several people from the Provo and Orem areas that were able to take the bus all the way to downtown SLC (this was back in the 70s/80s before my move to Denver).  Don't know if that service is still available?  You would only need at most one transfer?

Does Salt Lake City have good public transportation?
Public Transportation. Salt Lake City has a robust public transportationsystem that utilizes commuter trains, buses, and light-rail to provide you withaccess from the airport all the way up to the ski resorts. ... Downtown Salt Lake provides a great transfer point as all the lines run through downtown.

He might need to make a new plan Stan!

Link to comment
On 8/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, randy said:

He might need to make a new plan Stan!

The good news is, I'm not leaving my lover.  (The "bad news" [if one can call it that] is that I have no lover to leave :huh::unknw: )  Reminds me of the episode of [I]M*A*S*H[/I] in which Capt. Hunnicutt is out of sorts, lashing out at everyone in camp when he gets news of difficulties his wife is having at home which he is not there to help her resolve.

I can't find the snippet of actual dialogue (what, you don't have every episode memorized, Ken?  yeah, I do, pretty much; I was just hoping for the sake of accuracy ...)  Margaret tells BJ, "Maybe you haven't noticed that I'm the one who's been defending you ... that is, until now!  Maybe you do have the most to lose, but its only because you've got the most!"

Link to comment

So ... things just keep getting curiouser and curiouser!  Haven't heard anything new from the feds since I was fingerprinted.  I'm not sure what the turnaround time would be.  But, completely contrary to my expectations, I did just have an interesting conversation with someone in the Utah County Attorney's office, with which I interviewed on Wednesday.  I was scheduled to start another job (on the phones ... again :rolleyes:)  on Tuesday, so I was trying to figure out, "OK, how do I shoehorn an interview for another job into my second day on that job."  Then, after I scheduled the interview for as late as possible on Wednesday, 4:30, and figured I would plead for mercy about leaving early (on my second day :huh:), my supervisor texted me and told me he wanted me to start on Thursday, instead.  I texted him back: "No problem.  You just relieved a scheduling logjam for me.  Thankyouverymuch!" ;):D 

The feds do pay a little better, and their benefits are, of course, much better, but I'll trade even all of those advantages for not having to uproot myself or to spend all of my nonworking waking hours traveling! :rolleyes:  C'mon, Utah County!  You can do it!!!  I know you can!!! 🙏🙏🙏🙏

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...