Jump to content

Hello from Nashville, TN


Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I am not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but I have long been interested in the history of the movement, the Book of Mormon and its history, and other topics relevant to this forum. I have had several positive experiences with Saints, including missionaries and others. 

I have long been a member of the Forum at thirdhour.org, but I recently discovered this forum, and I find the level of discourse a little higher here.

Kindest regards,

Cory Howell

Nashville, TN

Link to comment

P.S. I wanted to start a new topic re: The Restored Covenant Edition of the Book of Mormon, published by the Zarahemla Research Foundation. However, the only forum where I am currently allowed to start a new topic is here in the "Social Hall." Do I have to have more posts under my belt to be allowed to post elsewhere in the forum? 

Link to comment

P.P.S. I think I just found the answer: it looks like I need to have 25 posts before I can post anywhere but in "Social Hall." 

So if anyone would like to respond to this introductory post, and help me get to my 25, it would be greatly appreciated!

😎

Link to comment
1 hour ago, caspianrex said:

P.P.S. I think I just found the answer: it looks like I need to have 25 posts before I can post anywhere but in "Social Hall." 

So if anyone would like to respond to this introductory post, and help me get to my 25, it would be greatly appreciated!

😎

The pinned three word thread can help ramp up posts pretty easily...

Link to comment

Hello Caspianrex... 

And welcome!  I've been to Nashville on one of our vacation trips across country to visit various family.  I wanted to visit "The Hermitage" because I was fascinated by the story of Rachel Jackson after seeing the movie "The President's Lady" starring Susan Hayward and Charlton Heston... 

I think you'll find this a good place to ask questions...

I live on the beautiful central Oregon Coast in a cottage-by-the-sea... 

Again welcome... from the beach... GG

Edited by Garden Girl
Link to comment
8 hours ago, caspianrex said:

P.P.S. I think I just found the answer: it looks like I need to have 25 posts before I can post anywhere but in "Social Hall." 

So if anyone would like to respond to this introductory post, and help me get to my 25, it would be greatly appreciated!

😎

No, you can post in other threads. You just cannot start them in other forums yet.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Hello Caspianrex... 

And welcome!  I've been to Nashville on one of our vacation trips across country to visit various family.  I wanted to visit "The Hermitage" because I was fascinated by the story of Rachel Jackson after seeing the movie "The President's Lady" starring Susan Hayward and Andrew Jackson... 

I think you'll find this a good place to ask questions...

I live on the beautiful central Oregon Coast in a cottage-by-the-sea... 

Again welcome... from the beach... GG

I grew up in Eugene and we used to take frequent trips to the coast (mostly Florence).  The Oregon Coast is beautiful indeed, if you remember to bring your jacket. 😊

Welcome Caspianrex

Edited by let’s roll
Link to comment
On 7/2/2019 at 8:24 AM, caspianrex said:

P.S. I wanted to start a new topic re: The Restored Covenant Edition of the Book of Mormon, published by the Zarahemla Research Foundation. ..............

Hi Cory, and welcome.

Are you a fan of C. S. Lewis' character Prince Caspian?

I am well-acquainted with the Restored Covenant Edition because it was edited by my good friend -- my late friend -- Shirley Heater.

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Hi Cory, and welcome.

Are you a fan of C. S. Lewis' character Prince Caspian?

I am well-acquainted with the Restored Covenant Edition because it was edited by my good friend -- my late friend -- Shirley Heater.

I am indeed a fan of The Chronicles of Narnia. Back in the "old days" of America Online (remember AOL?), when I chose my first screen name, I wanted to use "Prince Caspian," but it was taken. I tried "King Caspian," and it too was taken. So then I decided to try a little Latin approach, and came up with "caspianrtex," and it's been my screen name of choice ever since.

I think the RCE is really a lovely piece of work: I just wish they had gone with the same chapter/verse numbering system as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints uses, rather than the RLDS system. It would be way easier to compare with the LDS BoM that way!

Link to comment
4 hours ago, caspianrex said:

...........................................

I think the RCE is really a lovely piece of work: I just wish they had gone with the same chapter/verse numbering system as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints uses, rather than the RLDS system. It would be way easier to compare with the LDS BoM that way!

I agree.  However, the various LDS publishers could easily have done all that for us.  Two recent study editions of the BofM missed their chance to learn from Shirley's visionary approach.  So too, the LDS Church could certainly have taken a cue from her.  It greatly improves the readability of the book.

Link to comment
22 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I agree.  However, the various LDS publishers could easily have done all that for us.  Two recent study editions of the BofM missed their chance to learn from Shirley's visionary approach.  So too, the LDS Church could certainly have taken a cue from her.  It greatly improves the readability of the book.

I'm guessing one of the "two recent study editions" is the Maxwell Institute's recently released edition, edited by Grant Hardy. What is the other edition, if I may ask?

Link to comment
2 hours ago, caspianrex said:

I'm guessing one of the "two recent study editions" is the Maxwell Institute's recently released edition, edited by Grant Hardy. What is the other edition, if I may ask?

The other is the FIRM Foundation edition -- the huge, hardbound Annotated edition of the Book of Mormon, eds. David Hocking and Rod Meldrum (Digital Legend, 2018).  ISBN 978-1-944200-38-1.

A full review is available at https://interpreterfoundation.org/blog-a-review-of-the-annotated-edition-of-the-book-of-mormon-part-1/ .

Link to comment

I've ordered a copy of the Maxwell Institute Study Edition of the BoM from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it.

I think that FIRM Foundation edition is a BIT pricey for me, though...

😉

Link to comment

Incidentally, I found this interview with Grant Hardy on the LDS Perpectives podcast to be very informative.

The linked page also includes a PDF transcript of the interview.

I bought Hardy's earlier Reader's Edition of the Book of Mormon several years ago, and I found it much easier to read than the Standard Edition, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what he's done with this new Study Edition.

Link to comment

This article by D. Lynn Johnson is a bit more circumspect in its appraisal of the RCE. He primarily analyzes the RCE in the context of its purported connection to the Original and Printer's Manuscripts.

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...