Where books go to die

rpn

I have more than a hundred lds books that I'm cleaning out of my library (mostly because I can't see reading them again, not because I wish I hadn't read them in the first place).   I've asked around at church and in our ward's facebook page  if anyone's interested, without results.   Before I throw away five Jack Weyland books, and a whole host of other books on various topics of history and practice and doctrine, does anyone have any suggestions for repurposing them from my living room floor?

Ward libraries shouldn’t have books in them except a few church distribution ones and a dictionary. There is a list, as of 7 or 8 years ago, I think there were maybe 5  might be less now so much is online and books may have out of date issues

A regular library if you don’t have a DI close by might take them for fundraisers book sales 

Edited by Calm
19 minutes ago, Calm said:

Ward libraries shouldn’t have books in them except a few church distribution ones and a dictionary. There is a list, as of 7 or 8 years ago, I think there were maybe 5  might be less now so much is online and books may have out of date issues

A regular library if you don’t have a DI close by might take them for fundraisers book sales 

The ward libraries in our old ward building in Wyoming had a lot of books, but it was also one of those chapels built by members so it wasn’t a standard library. Maybe that’s why. 

we have a small depository for books in the cloak room and people drop off stuff there, every week I take a gander but typically there I am disappointed😕 they do have a million of those Teachings of he Presidents of the Church though

7 minutes ago, bluebell said:

The ward libraries in our old ward building in Wyoming had a lot of books, but it was also one of those chapels built by members so it wasn’t a standard library. Maybe that’s why. 

It is against the rules though. :)  I can’t remember how strongly it was phrased though  

My Canada stake had hundreds of books, but that was kept separate from the ward library so no one fussed about it. 

I think there are three reasons, one is room. Newer wards or those with shared buildings just don’t have the room and they don’t want to have hassles over trying to find it. Second, is that some people donate books about their pet projects and if there is any actual oversight and rejection, that can cause hard feelings. If there isn’t, you run into the problem of promoting false doctrine (think visions of glory being the most popular LDS book for awhile, likely a copy would end up in most ward libraries as it was being passed around as it was). Third, is some assume if it is in a church library it is vetted by the Church in some fashion. 

2 minutes ago, Calm said:

Looks like they are directing people to the gospel app rather than having any books outside of manuals, manuals including the teachings series:

https://www.lds.org/callings/sunday-school/leader-resources/meetinghouse-library-materials?lang=eng

It sounds like wards can choose to get stuff from the lds.org store too, if they want. I couldn’t get the link to work though to see what was offered there. Now I’m curious. 

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

It sounds like wards can choose to get stuff from the lds.org store too, if they want. I couldn’t get the link to work though to see what was offered there. Now I’m curious. 

Very little if any in terms of books, iirc. Probably Saints. 

Edited by Calm

Anything not published directly by the church has been forbidden in the library for maybe longer than 15 years.   (Though IME, it is only enforced when a new librarian actually reads the directions and then throws everything out.)

Edited by rpn
redundant
1 hour ago, rpn said:

Anything not published directly by the church has been forbidden in the library for maybe longer than 15 years.   (Though IME, it is only enforced when a new librarian actually reads the directions and then throws everything out.)

Yep, that was me in both Canada and Utah. :)

So probably at least 20 years

eBay.

Several years ago, I had a number of technical books including current and a few real oldies, and eBay provided an excellent way to sell them.

One old university textbook on chemical engineering that was published in the 1930's that I bought at a yard sale for 50 cents went for $40.  It was bought by a university library.

It may be that eBay is no longer a good way to do this, but you never know. 

And you can sell them on Amazon, too!  If you ever go to Amazon looking for a book, you will usually notice that there are used ones for sale as well as new.  In fact, Amazon may be better than eBay.

One of my past callings was to minister to men in Prison. I would go Sunday afternoons for 1 1/2 hours and  basically have a Priesthood class. It turned into the best calling I have ever had.

The men there were starving for books. I asked around Church and nobody wanted to get rid of theirs. I did bring in a bunch of mine along with a number of years worth of Ensigns. The Ward did also give a lot of manuals and Book of Mormons also.

Find your local state or federal prison (mine was a Federal prison in Fort Worth) address and send a letter to the Chaplin asking if they would like some of our religions books donated.

Edited by mnn727

In the past, I have found a lot of used books at Deseret Ind.  There is a good place to put them.  Up here in Logan, there are a couple of book stores that have all kinds of books from people in town....they sell!!

On 12/8/2018 at 10:20 AM, rpn said:

I have more than a hundred lds books that I'm cleaning out of my library (mostly because I can't see reading them again, not because I wish I hadn't read them in the first place).   I've asked around at church and in our ward's facebook page  if anyone's interested, without results.   Before I throw away five Jack Weyland books, and a whole host of other books on various topics of history and practice and doctrine, does anyone have any suggestions for repurposing them from my living room floor?

Anything a new convert would be interested in?

On 12/9/2018 at 7:39 PM, Jeanne said:

In the past, I have found a lot of used books at Deseret Ind.  There is a good place to put them.  Up here in Logan, there are a couple of book stores that have all kinds of books from people in town....they sell!!

This.

My former home teacher visited Salt lake a few years back and stopped in a DI while there. He brought back a bunch of books that he bought there for dirt cheap. You would have thought he was a kid in a candy store by how excited he was about it!